Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tigers trade for Infante, Sanchez... at a cost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers trade for Infante, Sanchez... at a cost.

The Tigers have just acquired Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez from the Marlins. In exchange, the Tigers will send Miami Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly, and Brian Flynn.

This trade addresses the Tigers' horrible offense and defense at 2B, and adds a good starting pitcher to the rotation.

The Tigers lose Turner, which could potentially be a huge embarrassment on the level of John Smoltz, but which could also end up like the loss of Andrew Miller. Brantly looks like a decent catching prospect, but after a good start in Erie he's having all sorts of trouble in Toledo. Flynn is at Lakeland, looking OK but nothing special.

The Tigers got a big benefit (other than Infante and Sanchez) in this trade. They'll get Miami's "competitive balance" pick, which occurs after the first round, in exchange for their own, which occurs after the second round. That's like moving up around 30 places in the draft.

Sanchez is signed through the end of this season. Infante through 2013.

Waddya think?

Sanchez would scare me a little bit. He's been good but also really bad. Then again with the way the Tigers have been hitting he could end up as a really good 4th or 5th starter.

Fister and Porcello seem to be doing really well lately. I guess I would rather have Anibel Sanchez than who we picked up (Brett Myers).
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

We have a second baseman, and that's good enough for me. I see him (Infante) batting second, with Berry dropping down to the lower third of the order. Anibal (Annabelle) Sanchez will be an alternative to Drew Smyly until the end of the year. The best thing about this deal is another guy with speed in the lineup.
      With Infante, Santiago, and too many outfielders once Dirks comes back, it seems inevitable that Ryan Raburn will actually gain more playing time.

With his children and golf buddies.
      smoker

Comment

Originally posted by riverfrontier View Post
        We have a second baseman, and that's good enough for me. I see him (Infante) batting second, with Berry dropping down to the lower third of the order. Anibal (Annabelle) Sanchez will be an alternative to Drew Smyly until the end of the year. The best thing about this deal is another guy with speed in the lineup.
        With Infante, Santiago, and too many outfielders once Dirks comes back, it seems inevitable that Ryan Raburn will actually gain more playing time.

With his children and golf buddies.

as long as Berry continues to get on base I would keep him at 2. With he and Jackson getting on base at their rate it gives the boppers more RBI chances.
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

I'd imagine Leyland would platoon the second spot in the order between Infante and Berry depending on the righty/lefty opposing pitcher. I do like Quintin Berry, and I think speed on the bases is something that the Tigers could use even more of.

On a side note, we now have the double play combo for the (in)famous 2003 Tigers back together again. Hey, anybody on that team who's still playing in the major leagues has to be a fighter. There are only a few left....Gough Tigers!
          smoker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X