???? For an Old Tiger Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???? For an Old Tiger Fan

During the 1950's-60's, was there a bar near Brigg's Stadium called "Lindells" where many of the ball players and umpires visited after those hot afternoon and evening games? What was the correct spelling and name of this establishement, where was it located, and when did it go out of business? Thanks,
    A St. Louisian

Originally posted by humolog
    During the 1950's-60's, was there a bar near Brigg's Stadium called "Lindells" where many of the ball players and umpires visited after those hot afternoon and evening games? What was the correct spelling and name of this establishement, where was it located, and when did it go out of business? Thanks,
    A St. Louisian
    Lindell AC is the name. Owned at one time by Alex Karras of the Lions, I believe. I just drove by the building not long ago, the sign is still there. I don't remember the exact location, though. Someone else will. It's a landmark.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Here's the location, I believe:

Lindell AC
      1310 Cass Ave
      Detroit, MI 48226-1502
      Phone: 313-964-1122

Not sure if the number is still good. Doubt it. I'll keep looking for more info.
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Here's an interesting link.
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Watering holes

Great link, about some of the great fan and player watering holes..

Karras never owned the Lindell...maybe a small piece, if anything..

He hung out there a lot..especially after he got suspended for a year
          in 1963, for gambling..and had a tiff with Dick the Bruiser in the bar.
          I remember going there in the 50's, with my uncle..and I had a soda
          pop..and Uncle had his whooskey..and we always saw a large group
          of RED WING players there...in the summer, saw Tigers like Harvey
          Kuenn, and a young Norm Cash..along with Rocky Colavito, among
          the other Tigers..all of those watering holes, were magical places
          long before the era of the million dollar pacts...when players played
          for the sheer love of the game..and some of them, actually had off
          season jobs, like Sears..to make ends meet..and some !

Comment

nemos

i go to nemos occasionally over by the old tiger stadium...its great...located right in corktown. anyone ever been there?
            go cubbys!

Comment

Lindells Ac

A St. Louisian
              i do believe you have the correct spelling, but, you left out the ac.
              LINDELLS AC(ATHLETIC CLUB).
              THE TIGERS THE LIONS AND MANY FANS HUNG OUT THERE FOR MANY YEARS.
              THERE WAS A MOVIE ABOUT THE OWNER AND CLUB ON TV AT LEAST 20 YRS
              AGO. I THINK IT WAS OPEN A FEW YEARS AGO. DON'T KNOW IF IT STILL IS.
              IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE IMFO ON IT JUST ASK
              shortstopshortstop

Comment

lindells ac

i was sure all our teams hung out there. i went there a few times but could never saw my heros it did close 2002. i was sure i saw it in 2000. below is a article about it. you will find more if you put a search engine to work.

MOTOR CITY JOURNAL: Legendary Lindell bar to fade into city's storied sports history

December 4, 2002

BY BILL McGRAW
                FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

The aroma from the grill smelled the same Tuesday evening at the Lindell A.C., and former Detroit Lion Wayne Walker's bronzed jockstrap hung augustly from the wall alongside museum-quality hockey sticks, bats and black-and-white photos.

But it felt like a wake inside the cramped, mythical, formerly rowdy saloon at Cass and Michigan in downtown Detroit. That was an appropriate feeling, because the Lindell is closing Sunday night after 52 years of serving burgers, beers and sports as one of the state's best-known bars.

"I've done my share of crying already," said waitress Lisa Soria, 42, who began working the counter in 1979.

Owner John Butsicaris, 82, said the bar will close with a party featuring an appearance by the Stanley Cup.

"There are so many years here," Butsicaris said. "So many people. So many incidents. My whole life has been here."

Butsicaris said he would like to reopen the Lindell near the downtown stadiums, but he is not close to a deal. The new owner, who could not be reached, plans to open a nightclub in the Lindell location. Butsicaris will take the memorabilia with him.

The Lindell attracted little attention in recent years, but it was one of Detroit's true hot spots into the 1970s -- when all of Detroit's professional teams played nearby, numerous local stars and visiting VIPs made the bar their home-away-from-home, and many people believed several vodka tonics before bedtime was good for you.

In 1968, the Tigers gathered at the Lindell with hundreds of patrons the night they clinched the American League pennant just blocks away at Tiger Stadium.

In 1963, National Football League Commissioner Pete Rozelle charged that the Lindell was a center for illegal sports betting, and forced Lions tackle Alex Karras, the future actor, to sell his share in the bar.The Lindell also was the site of a brawl between Karras and flamboyant wrestler Dick the Bruiser, whose real name was Richard Afflis.

Those incidents gave the Lindell a raucous reputation, as did its association with Billy Martin, the rambunctious Tigers manager who became the bar's patron saint. Martin, who began drinking there as a New York Yankees infielder with teammates Whitey Ford and Mickey Mantle, befriended Butsicaris and his late brother Jimmy.

"They would come to town and borrow my car," said Butsicaris. "I had a real snazzy Buick convertible."

Martin soon suggested they convert the place to a sports theme. Martin told them how they could split a baseball bat lengthwise to better fasten it to the wall, and he procured bats from all the American League teams.

In 1969, Martin added to the bar's legend when he made national news by punching out one of his pitchers, Dave Boswell, in the alley behind the bar. Boswell received 20 stitches; Martin got seven. At the time, Martin was manager of the Minnesota Twins.

The Lindell also drew notice because John and Jimmy Butsicaris promoted the career of Ron LeFlore, a Jackson prison inmate who became a Tigers star.

Jimmy Butsicaris was the subject of a 1979 TV movie on CBS, "Andre and Jimmy B," the story of how Butsicaris became a foster father to young Andre Reynolds, son of a heroin addict. Karras played Jimmy B in the film. Jimmy Butsicaris played a bartender in the movie "The Paper Lion," George Plimpton's saga about the Lions, starring Karras.

The Lindell began to fade when the Lions moved from nearby Tiger Stadium to distant Pontiac.

"I took that personally," said Butsicaris. "I have never been to the Silverdome."

The Lindell began life in a fleabag hotel nearby at Cass and Bagley, when the area was Detroit's skid row. It moved to Cass and Michigan in 1963.

"Jimmy never let a hooker work the bar," said longtime radio personality Sonny Eliot, a close friend of the Butsicaris brothers. "It was a neighborhood bar in downtown Detroit.

"It saddens me to see it die. Well, not really die, but fade away."

Contact BILL McGRAW at 313-223-4781 or [email protected].

MORE MOTOR CITY JOURNAL COLUMNS
                FREEP FRONT | NEWS FRONT

- MORE MOTOR CITY JOURNAL

Comments? Questions? You can reach
                shortstopshortstop

Comment

I heard that guys used to go to that watering hole and tell their wives they were headed to the Athletic Club to avoid getting in trouble.

That sure wouldnt have worked at my house.
                  "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                  --Bob Feller

Comment

My dats at the Lindel

Damn----how I miss the Lindell, it's atmosphere, the burgers/french fries and other stuff, but most of all the wonderful friends. I miss the late Jimmy B, and John B, the late Andre Reynolds who died so violently----still only a kid at 37-38 or so. Man, I miss just hanging around that joint.

My first taste of the Lindell was the year it opened in 1963, and I would stop there anytime I came to downtown Detroit----usually after an athletic event. The Tigers at Michigan and Trumbul, the Red Wings at Olympia and then Joe Louis, the Pistons at Olympia and then Cobo, and the Lions at Briggs/Tiger Stadium. I became a regular or honorary member of the Lindell AC (by Jimmy and John) in 1979, as I moved to downtown Detroit (Rivard Apartments). I still have that honorary membership card and key chain. I even had a couple of walk-ons in the Jimmy B and Andre TV movie, and as a go'fer.

The Lindell is no more, and there is not (unfortunately) a Lindell AC II. But then, how could there ever be another Lindell AC. It has passed on as a half of it passed in one of the brothers (Jimmy). John is doing well, from what I last heard. I must try and reach him to just say hello. The Lindell has passed, as Tiger Stadium, Jim Campbell, my best ole friend Joe Gentile, the Kat (Ed Katilinas), and too many others. Those still around-----just don't see them much any longer or at all. So unfortunate, but people move on as the "beat goes on".

A new generation has moved into the Detroit scene, and as I move on with age------"the beat really does go on-and on-and on". The Lindell is a place that will live with me until I hit the end of the "yellow brick" road.

Tom Schnell
                    Last edited by Captain TJ (Tom) Schnell; 11-26-2005, 11:12 AM. Reason: Check mistakes made previously

Comment

A Story

Jimmy and Johnny became two great friends over the years. I used both brothers as a reference when I called Jim Campbell in asking if he could use a good guy down at spring training, as I begin to spend my winters in Laleland. After leaving a messege with JAC, Alice Sloan called me about 2-3 hours later ---asking me to contact Dave Miller (another great friend to be). Now this was in 1979.

Dave put me to work at the desk of Fetzer Hall, checking in minor league players and makiing sure they didn't wreck anything or bring some "bimbo" in. Most of the kids (there would be over a 100-125 kids in the system) were good to great, but you always have a few who liked to create some skulduggery. I did that about 4-5 times a week, either the first shift or second.

Then Dave ask me if I would spend some time at the box office for spring training games, to answer the phone and sell tickets out the window. Now, this was when the games were not overwhelming. I could sell tickets and answer the phone at the same time. As the years went on it became more demanding, and anyone who goes to Lakeland now can attest to the demand for tickets. The ball park has grown and grown. It's almost like trying to get tickets at old Tiger Stadium or the current Co-America Park.

I spent 1979 to 1993 doing this gig in Lakeland, and also some things at Tiger Stadium whenever they needed some help. I did have a real (or other) job moving ships, but still was able to see 40 games or so durinmg the regular season. I had access to the Press Box, but usually watched the games just outside (unless it was to cold) , on the first base side----or to the right of the scoreboard room with Jim Trew. Occasionally, I would be ask by Lew Matlin to do balls and strikes, etc in the scoreboard room if they were short a man. I'd usually do 4-5 innings, just to give the guys a break. It was computerized, but the balls and strikes were easy to do----that way I wouldn't screw anything else up. Once in awhile I would mess up, but correct it quickly----but never too quick for JAC. He'd call Matlin and ask who's doing balls strikes, etc. Often it was me amd he (JAC) would laugh, and later let me know he knew it was me. Always kinda funny or humorous.

I did get to meet many great baseball people, and media guys. Joe Gentile and Lew Matlin took good care of me in those earlier years. I got to know all the players of that era, and many others from earlier eras. Played golf with the one of the greatest second baseman ever (Chas. Gehringer), and other Tigers.

Anyway the Lindell has the two (L's), and I'm sorry if I bored anyone. Hell-----so what! Enjoy and move on.

Cap' TJ
                      Last edited by Captain TJ (Tom) Schnell; 11-26-2005, 11:07 AM. Reason: To Change it----------

Comment

aww....man i just got my sig deleted by the commish.....and i used asterisks....and you get away with all these nasty words...

Comment

Expess Bar not too far from Roas Parks was ok.

Comment

I know this thread is pretty old....but I thought I would post some pictures of the final nights at the Lindell AC as well as some demolition pics. A Detroit institution for over 40 years. It was sad to see it go.

And the demo...

Comment

Originally posted by GB5HOF
                              I know this thread is pretty old....but I thought I would post some pictures of the final nights at the Lindell AC as well as some demolition pics. A Detroit institution for over 40 years. It was sad to see it go.

And the demo...

Makes me real glad I was able to take a picture when I could.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X