No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest Astro of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the greatest Astro of all time?

OK, who is the greatest Astro of all time?
    Craig Biggio
    28.92%
    Jeff Bagwell
    37.35%
    Jimmy Wynn
    4.82%
    Joe Morgan
    1.20%
    Nolan Ryan
    26.51%
    Jose Cruz
    1.20%
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Craig Biggio got my vote without any hesitation. There isn't a player on your list who isn't deserved, but Biggio is the guy who, while not really great in any single category, combines a whole facet of talents along with absolute effort and all-out hustle on EVERY GOL-DERNED PLAY! He's like Pete Rose but without being an ass.
    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
    Astros Daily

Comment

Nolan Ryan, maybe most of his career was back and forth between teams but damn could he pitch.
      The Boston Red Sox are the...

2006 AL East Division Winners

2006 World Series Winners

Destroy of the Bronx Bombers!

Comment

this was a tough decision, but I went with Nolan. I have been a huge Biggio fan since 1988 so he'd be my favorite Astro of all time. But the way a pitcher impacts the game has got to count more. Nolan was so dominating!

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
          OK, who is the greatest Astro of all time?
          Me...no not really. Roger Clemens.

Comment

I'm surprised by the vote. I never thought Ryan would get so much support. I figured it would come down to Biggio and Bagwell.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

The second I saw the thread I thought Nolan Ryan
              Born True Blue

Comment

I voted bagwell but suprising to not see J.R. Richard on the poll

Comment

I don't know how it can be anyone but Bagwell. Amongst Astros with 3000+ AB's Bagwell leads RCAA, OPS versus the league and OWP by a ridiculous margin. And he absolutely dwarfs what any pitcher has done.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                    The second I saw the thread I thought Nolan Ryan

I had the same exact initial reaction, but after pondering it further I realized that it had to come down to being between Biggio and Bagwell. Overall, I would give the slight edge to Bagwell due to the superior batting totals. However, ask me this again two years from now and my vote may very well go to Biggio.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                      I don't know how it can be anyone but Bagwell. Amongst Astros with 3000+ AB's Bagwell leads RCAA, OPS versus the league and OWP by a ridiculous margin. And he absolutely dwarfs what any pitcher has done.
                      The reason it can be someone besides Bagwell is that not all of us buy into tall of the columns of sabermetrics to be our final judge, and some of us who actually saw a lot of these players perform a whole lot live and in person have found other redeeming qualities that none of the sabermetric formulas can ever come up with.
                      Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                      Astros Daily

Comment

How is Biggio better than Bagwell? Maybe you can make a case with defense and stolen bases, but Bagwell was leaps and bounds ahead of Biggio with the bat.

Comment

Jeff Bagwell is hands down the greatest Astro in history. Not only has he had a spectacular offensive career, he's spent his entire career in Houston. How can there be anyone else?

As for Nolan Ryan... as much as I enjoyed watching his blazing fastball, he played with the Astros for just nine seasons (out of 27) and he never won more than 16 games in a year. I'd hardly call that dominating.
                          Ryan is overrated, with all the strikeouts, he also had a lot of walks, and was never a consistent winner.

Comment

Where the hell is Mike Scott?

Comment

Originally posted by dodgerdave
                              Where the hell is Mike Scott?
                              I didn't incude Mike Scott because his peak was rather short and in all honestly I don't think anyone can argue that he was the greatest Astros ever.
                              Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X