Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason Lane vs Preston Wilson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jason Lane vs Preston Wilson

    On Astros.com depth chart, they have Wilson listed as the starting RF and Jason Lane as his backup. I consider Jason a much better player than Wilson, Lane is younger and is developping into let's say a "superstar" or "all-star" in the making.

    Who would you elect to start on opening day in RF and everywhere else:
    Here's what I say.

    C Brad Ausmus
    1B Jeff Bagwell (if retires, Lance Berkman)
    2B Craig Biggio (if retires, Chris Burke)
    SS Chris Burke (Everett's time is up)
    3B Morgan Ensberg (duh)
    CF Willy Tavares
    LF Lance Berkman (if plays 1B, Preston Wilson)
    RF Jason Lane

    Bottom line: Wilson's signing proves only to be insurance if Jeff Bagwell retires, if Bagwell retires he'll probably settle down in LF and Lance Berkman will play 1B.
    Cristobal

  • #2
    I would rather see Preston in center but Astro fans would rather see LAne in there. Lane to me is much better.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

    Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Wilson will play left mostly, maybe center where he probably isn't that great any longer. Assuming Bagwell breaks camp on the initial roster, I look for Bags, Berkman, Lane, Taveras and Wilson to rotate between the three OF and 1B jobs.

      Oh, and try not to put a lot of stock in what is said at the team MLB.com sites.
      Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
      Astros Daily

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
        Who would you elect to start on opening day in RF and everywhere else:
        Here's what I say.

        C Brad Ausmus
        1B Jeff Bagwell (if retires, Lance Berkman)
        2B Craig Biggio (if retires, Chris Burke)
        SS Chris Burke (Everett's time is up)
        3B Morgan Ensberg (duh)
        CF Willy Tavares
        LF Lance Berkman (if plays 1B, Preston Wilson)
        RF Jason Lane
        thats a good lineup however i dont agree on a few things, for example: biggio isnt retiring till he gets 3000 hits, anyway here is my lineup:
        C Brad Ausmus
        1B Lance Berkman
        2B Craig Biggio (burke as backup)
        SS Adam Everett (burke as backup)
        3B Morgan Ensberg
        CF Willy T
        RF Jason Lane
        LF Preston Wilson (burke as back up)
        Houston Rockets
        playoffs:1969,75,77,79,80,81,82,85,86,87,88,89,90, 91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2004,05,07,08
        West Champions:81,86,94,95
        NBA Champions:94,95
        Houston Astros
        Playoffs: 1980,86,97,98,99,01,04,05
        NL west champs: 80,86
        NL central champs: 97,98,99,01
        NL Wild Card: 04,05
        NL Champions: 05
        Houston Oilers: AFL champs 1960,61
        Texas Longhorns class of 2012
        Lufkin Panthers div 2 state champs 2001

        Comment


        • #5
          Wilson will start in LF, Lane in RF & Taveras in CF. This according to their skipper.

          Comment


          • #6
            BTW - I hope you are referring to rosters (positions) and not line-ups (batting order)!

            Ausmus leading off

            Comment


            • #7
              That was the defensive alignement, here's my batting order:

              Craig Biggio
              Willy Tavares
              Lance Berkman
              Morgan Ensberg
              Jason Lane
              Jeff Bagwell
              Preston Wilson
              Adam Everett (Chris Burke)
              Pitcher.
              Cristobal

              Comment


              • #8
                whats the big deal?

                Lane is going to be a superstar? Cmon, hes a mediocre outfielder and always will be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by warbuxpr
                  Lane is going to be a superstar? Cmon, hes a mediocre outfielder and always will be.
                  Lane has been streaky so far in the majors, but if you have followed his history, he's been been a superstar (so to speak) at almost every other level he's played at, including in the minors and college. I don't necessarily think he'll break out and be a Bonds, Griffey Jr or Beltran type outfielder, but I do believe that he'll be an occasional all-star and definately one that an opposing pitcher would rather not face.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                    That was the defensive alignement, here's my batting order:

                    Craig Biggio
                    Willy Tavares
                    Lance Berkman
                    Morgan Ensberg
                    Jason Lane
                    Jeff Bagwell
                    Preston Wilson
                    Adam Everett (Chris Burke)
                    Pitcher.

                    I'd put Taveres in the leadoff spot. Bagwell is out and Ausmus in the 7 hole.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You guys are showing a lot of love for Willy Taveras. Last year amongst players with 400+ AB's he sported the 2nd lowest ISO (.051) and a sub-par OBP. I know he can run, but a .660 OPS is tough to overcome.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KCGHOST
                        You guys are showing a lot of love for Willy Taveras. Last year amongst players with 400+ AB's he sported the 2nd lowest ISO (.051) and a sub-par OBP. I know he can run, but a .660 OPS is tough to overcome.
                        Willy had over 70 infield hits, I do believe, last season... If he can learn to drive the ball he could become quite the lead off hitter and a very good player... people forget last season was his first extended stay above AA, and he was in single A in 2003

                        His workout routine and how he conditions/develops will determine if he becomes a Rickey Henderson or a Otis Nixon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tadlock11
                          Lane has been streaky so far in the majors, but if you have followed his history, he's been been a superstar (so to speak) at almost every other level he's played at, including in the minors and college. I don't necessarily think he'll break out and be a Bonds, Griffey Jr or Beltran type outfielder, but I do believe that he'll be an occasional all-star and definately one that an opposing pitcher would rather not face.
                          He'll be a quality player recognised as a cut above the rest.
                          I do not think he is mediocre. He just needs experience.
                          Cristobal

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I just benched Wilson in my NL-only league for J. Jones and D. Roberts.
                            I hope he makes me pay for it.
                            "Never expect anything and you'll always be suprised" - Unknown

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wilson vs. Lane

                              Jason is a better contact hitter
                              Preston strikes out a lot, but he hits homeruns
                              HOUSTON ASTROS

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X