X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVNICK
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
    I know he played 1B, but I'm surprised Glenn Davis has not been mentioned.
    He is a victim of circumstance. He certainly had a longer run than Thon or Everett at SS, but such is life.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Jeltz
    replied
    I know he played 1B, but I'm surprised Glenn Davis has not been mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Sock, no love for Bill Doran or Kevin Bass? How about Richard Hidalgo or Carlos Lee?

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by astrosFANATIC View Post

So how much do we buy in to the current players? This is what I have to ask myself when looking at a roster.

C- Brad Ausmus HAS to make it over Jason Castro. Then Alan Ashby.
    1B - You cant mess this one up, right??
    2B - I think Jose Altuve has clearly shown himself to be a year in-year out All-Star player and deserves to make this list over Joe Morgan who was BARELY a Colt .45. even though he is only a few years in, Altuve gets the nod
    3B - Rader and Caminiti are good picks here. I have had this convo before with others, but some feel that Ensberg was better than Rader at his best and obviously was a big part of their WS run. I think Rader was more tenured.
    SS - Dickie Thon had one great year for the Astros. Correa has one great year. He is also the all-time HR leader amongst Astros SS. I give Everrett the #1, and Correa is closing in quickly. Thon just didnt play much for the Stros
    OF - I like your list and think it works pretty well.

SP - You have to have Richard in there. That damned stroke probably cost Richard many more wins, so I give him the nod over Don Wilson. Anyone looking for an interesting life story should look into JR Richard. He was homeless and living under an overpass in the 90's, but then got back up on his feet. Great story.

RP - No Brad Lidge?? I think that's a mistake. Maybe cut Dotel or Sambito to add in Lidge. It'd be cool to have Wagner-Dotel-Lidge in there again like old times. That was a NASTY bullpen.

All in all though, it think your list is pretty good.
    I was going to say the same thing about Altuve but Joe Morgan did play10 years with the Astros, had 4,484 career PA's.

Leave a comment:

• dwj21792
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodside Park View Post
    I think I might have to make a case that one James Rodney Richards makes that staff.
    But who would you replace?

Leave a comment:

• astrosFANATIC
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Jason Castro, Alan Ashby
    1B: Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman
    2B: Craig Biggio, Joe Morgan
    3B: Doug Rader, Ken Caminiti
    SS: Dickie Thon, Adam Everett
    LF: Jose Cruz, Bob Watson
    CF: Cesar Cedeno, Jim Wynn
    RF: Terry Puhl
    SP: Roy Oswalt, Larry Dierker, Don Wilson, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott
    RP: Billy Wagner, Dave Smith, Octavio Dotel, Joe Sambito, Larry Andersen

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Astros players were together in their Astros prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be at or near the best with easily the strongest bench. All that said 105 wins would be possible.
    So how much do we buy in to the current players? This is what I have to ask myself when looking at a roster.

C- Brad Ausmus HAS to make it over Jason Castro. Then Alan Ashby.
    1B - You cant mess this one up, right??
    2B - I think Jose Altuve has clearly shown himself to be a year in-year out All-Star player and deserves to make this list over Joe Morgan who was BARELY a Colt .45. even though he is only a few years in, Altuve gets the nod
    3B - Rader and Caminiti are good picks here. I have had this convo before with others, but some feel that Ensberg was better than Rader at his best and obviously was a big part of their WS run. I think Rader was more tenured.
    SS - Dickie Thon had one great year for the Astros. Correa has one great year. He is also the all-time HR leader amongst Astros SS. I give Everrett the #1, and Correa is closing in quickly. Thon just didnt play much for the Stros
    OF - I like your list and think it works pretty well.

SP - You have to have Richard in there. That damned stroke probably cost Richard many more wins, so I give him the nod over Don Wilson. Anyone looking for an interesting life story should look into JR Richard. He was homeless and living under an overpass in the 90's, but then got back up on his feet. Great story.

RP - No Brad Lidge?? I think that's a mistake. Maybe cut Dotel or Sambito to add in Lidge. It'd be cool to have Wagner-Dotel-Lidge in there again like old times. That was a NASTY bullpen.

All in all though, it think your list is pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    double post

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    IMO, for those few 300 K years there was no one in baseball hitters would rather not face. Meaning no disrespect to any of those fine arms, my cholce would be JR over either Dierker or Wilson. The brillancy of hIs career was relatively brief in comparison, but no one would ever leave Sandy Koufax off of a list because of that factor. But it's really just an opinion.
    I would argue that Dierker & Wilson are more deserving of a place on this team than Ryan or Scott. Dierker is an Astros legend and few would support his removal. Ryan & Scott are similar in Astros lore. Don Wilson is the lesser remembered of the starting 5. Unfairly so IMO.

Wilson: 104 wins, 3.15 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 109 ERA+, 1748 IP
    Richard: 107 wins, 3.15 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 108 ERA+, 1606 IP

Awfully close!

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    6 great starters for a 5 man rotation. Who do you leave off? Oswalt, Dierker, Wilson, Ryan, Scott?
    IMO, for those few 300 K years there was no one in baseball hitters would rather not face. Meaning no disrespect to any of those fine arms, my cholce would be JR over either Dierker or Wilson. The brillancy of hIs career was relatively brief in comparison, but no one would ever leave Sandy Koufax off of a list because of that factor. But it's really just an opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    I think I might have to make a case that one James Rodney Richards makes that staff.
    6 great starters for a 5 man rotation. Who do you leave off? Oswalt, Dierker, Wilson, Ryan, Scott?

Leave a comment:

• Woodside Park
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    started a topic Astros all time 25 man roster

Astros all time 25 man roster

C: Jason Castro, Alan Ashby
    1B: Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman
    2B: Craig Biggio, Joe Morgan
    3B: Doug Rader, Ken Caminiti
    SS: Dickie Thon, Adam Everett
    LF: Jose Cruz, Bob Watson
    CF: Cesar Cedeno, Jim Wynn
    RF: Terry Puhl
    SP: Roy Oswalt, Larry Dierker, Don Wilson, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott
    RP: Billy Wagner, Dave Smith, Octavio Dotel, Joe Sambito, Larry Andersen

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Astros players were together in their Astros prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be at or near the best with easily the strongest bench. All that said 105 wins would be possible.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 10-27-2016, 07:46 PM.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X