#1 off season pick-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 off season pick-up

Who was the best offseason pick-up and why?
    Joe Mays
    5.26%
    Mark Redman
    5.26%
    Esteban German
    0.00%
    Mark Grudzielanek
    36.84%
    Doug Mientkiewicz
    10.53%
    Reggie Sanders
    42.11%

Personally i think Mays was the best pick-up for you guys. This is a guy who can average 12-18 wins with some help from hitting and the bullpen and he's young and has talent. This is also coming from a team with 56 wins last year so any pitching would help.
    "All I had was natural ability."
    -Mickey Mantle

55 chmps and I are always looking to extend our unbeaten trivia record!

Comment

Originally posted by 56 chmps
      Personally i think Mays was the best pick-up for you guys. This is a guy who can average 12-18 wins with some help from hitting and the bullpen and he's young and has talent. This is also coming from a team with 56 wins last year so any pitching would help.
      Mays is a terrible pitcher. Reggie Sanders was easily the best pickup for the Royals. He's still a very good hitter, and he can help out the young Royals offense.
      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
      ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

reggie injury prone

how can the best pick up be a guy that wont last to the end of the season without missing considerable time. I don't think any of the moves were great but i guess with Mientkiewicz they get the best fielding first baseman in the league and will make the other fielders around him look even better. These moves are all so minor when will kc be serious about winning????

Comment

Because he still put up really good overall stats even though he missed a ton of games.
          ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by moebarguy
            Reggie Sanders was easily the best pickup for the Royals. He's still a very good hitter, and he can help out the young Royals offense.

No doubt about it, but that is not a tough group to beat. The pitchers are Brian Anderson wannabees. Grudzielanek can't field and isn't much for OBP. German has a career OPS of .604. Minky can't hit a lick for a 1B and he has shown severe decline in his defense since he left Minneapolis. Unless Baird has dreams of making Huber a corner OF signing Minky was dumb with a capital D.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Mark Grudzielanek is a major step up in defense, but getting him on base is like trying to haul an elephant truck, it's VERY hard to do. It looks like Stairs might be the RF (at least he's holed there), but there are better right fielders.

The only good fielder there is probably Reggie Sanders. He can field, steal, hit the ball, and even for somebody in his late 30's, can field plays that not even the old LF could do. He's a very good player, you KC'ers should like him. :-p

Comment

I think grudzielank was the best pick up because the Royals already had decent outfielders (Stairs,DeJesus)but who did they have up the middle, Angel berroa and Ruben Gotay. MArk Grudzielanek is much better than those two.

Comment

Originally posted by DoWnWiThTheSiCkNeSs
                  .....but who did they have up the middle, Angel berroa and Ruben Gotay. MArk Grudzielanek is much better than those two.
                  I'm better than those two.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Well, out of that dubiuos list, I have to go with Grud. I think he and Sanders might have some value to the Royals. The one i would have chosen over those 2, would have been Elarton, though.

I guess if you are a complete lunatic, and no absolutely nothing about your team, and baseball in general, then those are some of the free agnet moves you would make.

How did Baird ever get this job?
                    George Brett said it:

“If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out.”

“Even today, if the Royals win six games all year, if they're going to go 6-156, I hope they beat the Yankees six times.”

“A woman will be elected President before Wade Boggs is called out on strikes. I guarantee that.”

“If I stay healthy, I have a chance to collect 3,000 hits and 1,000 errors.”

Comment

Well, not that I'm defending him by saying this, but he doesn't have a lot of money to throw around. Also, if you're a top FA, or even semi-top FA, you're not going to want to sign with the Royals. So even if he did have money to spend, it would be very difficult to lure top FAs to play for KC since they have a tendency to lose. So although Baird isn't the brightest GM out there, he doesn't have a lot of tools to work with...
                      ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Comment

I had to go with Sanders from that list. The Royals need more power than just Mike Sweeney, to even have a merely below average offense. Sanders at least gives us another bat in the middle of the lineup, IF we can keep him healthy.

IMHO, though, the best pickup might end up being someone not on the list: Scott Elarton. Greinke's disappeared, Redmans out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery, Affeldt hasn't looked good his first two outings, Elvys is overweight, which could lead to him being hurt again, just like last year....our already weak rotation is getting worse by the week. If Elarton can make 30+ starts and keep his ERA within half a run of the AL average, then he could be the best signing we've made in years.
                        FIRE ALLARD NOW!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X