The typical (kinda new) tourist questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The typical (kinda new) tourist questions

My parents and I went to K.C. in '05 to see the '85 Royals honored - which was good because we got to see a team on the field (and George Brett's autograph) even if the actual games were rained out.

so with 2 rain checks we decided to go back this year while my dad can still walk with a cane (Parkinson's). We're going to see the Angels because of Mike Trout, mong others, and know some of the good tourist spots: Plan to see the Negro League Museum again if possible, hope to rent a car down to Olathe for the historical re-enactment since we didn't get a chance last time (there was so much to see as it was in K.C., plus we went to the Harry Truman Library).

My main question is about restaurants - we enjoyed George Brett's (it was fairly new when we went there) but it's a bit confusing because one site said it closed in '08 (not unusual, it's *hard* for anyone to run a restaurant) but it seems like there's a new one open now. Is it any good?

Also, what's some of the best ballpark food in Kansas City? I recall a couple really good barbecue places that we went to last time, and we plan to exchange the rain checks we have for a Friday and Sunday game, so it's possible we'll mostly eat before & after, but I figure I'll ask how that is anyway.

Any other ideas? Anyone been to Olathe, what's a good place to eat at there or on the way back on Saturday?

I got great tips for our Tropicana Field trip and PNC Park trip on these boards several years ago so I figure I might get a few good replies here.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
    If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Originally posted by DTF955 View Post
    My parents and I went to K.C. in '05 to see the '85 Royals honored - which was good because we got to see a team on the field (and George Brett's autograph) even if the actual games were rained out.

so with 2 rain checks we decided to go back this year while my dad can still walk with a cane (Parkinson's). We're going to see the Angels because of Mike Trout, mong others, and know some of the good tourist spots: Plan to see the Negro League Museum again if possible, hope to rent a car down to Olathe for the historical re-enactment since we didn't get a chance last time (there was so much to see as it was in K.C., plus we went to the Harry Truman Library).

My main question is about restaurants - we enjoyed George Brett's (it was fairly new when we went there) but it's a bit confusing because one site said it closed in '08 (not unusual, it's *hard* for anyone to run a restaurant) but it seems like there's a new one open now. Is it any good?

Also, what's some of the best ballpark food in Kansas City? I recall a couple really good barbecue places that we went to last time, and we plan to exchange the rain checks we have for a Friday and Sunday game, so it's possible we'll mostly eat before & after, but I figure I'll ask how that is anyway.

Any other ideas? Anyone been to Olathe, what's a good place to eat at there or on the way back on Saturday?

I got great tips for our Tropicana Field trip and PNC Park trip on these boards several years ago so I figure I might get a few good replies here.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
    Hope you enjoy your trip DTF-but I would be shocked if the Royals or any other ball club would honor rain checks from a game 14 years ago. Usually they are good for the rest of that season if it is late in the season, have to be used the following season.

I lived in KC from 87-95, great town. A terrific and unique place to eat is Strouds in Overland Park, not too terribly far from Olathe. Absolutely the best fried chicken in the world and if that's not your thing they also serve excellent chops and steaks. Everything served country style, so you will have tons of food for sides, mashed potatoes, incredible green beans. they been around since the 30's, though not at this location. They can be crowded and it can be a lengthy wait, so with your dad's condition you may want to call in advance, they usually don't take reservations. If you hit the NL Museum Arthur Bryants BBQ is close. If you go in the afternoon you should be ok-I'd avoid evening. KC has some really good Mexican eats too, my favs were Magarita's and Ponaks [the worlds only Mexican restaurant with a Polish name. Located in an area we called Mexicali Valley, not too far from the Pershing Memorial, which houses an incredible WW1 museum if you're in to that sort of thing. The Plaza is a very nice area to visit, plenty of nice restaurants, shopping, cool fountains to look at.

It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X