Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which City would Arte Moreno Consider Moving the Angels for the 2017 Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Where is Chone Figgins
    Class? Is that something Dodger fans can understand
    Dude, for someone with only 37 posts, you've already gotten the reputation as the biggest Melvin on this forum. You're not going to last long here when all you do it talk prepubescent crap in every thread you post.

Comment

Class? Is that something Dodger fans can understand
      It is for this Dodger fan. You can take your childish insults to MLB.com. This is Baseball Fever, in which we pride ourselves as THE place to come when you want to talk baseball. We have worked hard to not let this place become MLB.com redux.

Now, which city do you think Arte Moreno will move the Angels in 11 years? Or do you not think he'll move the team and just stay in Anaheim?
      SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
      "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71
        It is for this Dodger fan. You can take your childish insults to MLB.com. This is Baseball Fever, in which we pride ourselves as THE place to come when you want to talk baseball. We have worked hard to not let this place become MLB.com redux.

Now, which city do you think Arte Moreno will move the Angels in 11 years? Or do you not think he'll move the team and just stay in Anaheim?
        Maybe L.A. can anex Anaheim and then the Angels can stay put and be a real L.A. team again.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71

I have allready said where I believed the Angels will play after 2017. I think it is funny that I am being called out and you haven;t said anything to Elvis, Jake83 and Gagne who contiune to post snide comments on this thread.
          Angels 2002 World Champions 1979 1982 1986 2004 2005 AL West Champs

Southern California is covered in Red now

5 Straight Series Win:gt :gt

The saviors
          Jered Weaver 3-0 with a 1.86 ERA and a Sub 1 WHIP with 17K to 3Walk ratio
          Kendry Morales 279 AVG 3 HR'S 11 RBI
          Mike Napoli 323 AVG 4HR'S 11 RBI

Comment

I have allready said where I believed the Angels will play after 2017. I think it is funny that I am being called out and you haven;t said anything to Elvis, Jake83 and Gagne who contiune to post snide comments on this thread.
            I've taken all required action regarding the issue in question. Thank you for your concern. Like I said, I do not want this to become MLB.com. You want to use childish nicknames when referring to other teams? Go to MLB.com. You want to discuss baseball? I encourage you to check out the other forums here. Heck, I've had plenty of baseball discussions with Giant fans, and there have been a lot of conversations between Yankee and Red Sox fans, and we have never resorted to name-calling.

There are baseball fans, and then there are baseball homers. And very few members of the latter group are qualified to talk smack.
            SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
            "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
              I grew up primarily in OC and saw the Angels struggle for the most part until the 2002 championship. The underlying reason to me was money (flip flopping between the farm system and free agency). Arte Moreno drew the same conclusion when he bought the club. To compete in the top tier he realizes that he has to spend revenues the club itself can't generate from ticket sales and broadcasting rights. He decides to subsidize the club until it becomes able to meet its own expenses. He launches an aggressive marketing campaign and decides he needs to reach out to the entire L.A. market rather than just Orange County. He decides he needs a more recognizable brand name (Los Angeles Angels) in order to achieve his marketing objectives and therefore command more revenue. Having seen the team opearate for 40 years, I have concluded that Moreno is right.

Since I spent my formative years in OC (including Anaheim) I would like to see the team remain in Anaheim. It would be easier on the owner to stay where he is. But if the City of Anaheim proves inflexible in its handling of the Angels I think the owner will eventually leave.

Therefore I think the city has to concede the name in return for assurances that the team stays put. There are things that have to be worked out:
              • Keeping the ball park up to MLB standards
              • An arrangement that makes money for both the owner and the city
              • Keeping the prices of an evening at the park below the MLB average
              • Keeping payroll above the MLB average

We can do this, folks, as long as both sides bend, and achieve the consistent level of success that has always eluded this franchise.
              Driving past a couple of those gravel pits last week in Irwindale and thinking what a great place for a ballpark at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. Just think of the view from home plate in the early Spring when there is actually snow on the mountains?

The Gold Line extension would most likley go right near any of the stadium sites, too.
              http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Poll Results

I find it funny that most who chose to participate in this poll seem to think that Anaheim will be the club's location when they break from ST in the 2017 season.

To me, it would seem unlikely that the Angels, who are no longer losing money under Arte's ownership, with increasing revenues, a competitive product on the field, that having a new stadium in a decade that is privately financed just may not be out of the question. I envision Mr Moreno is already looking around for possible sites and I think the City of Anaheim and the Angels (as a whole including the Autry days) have burned far too many bridges and the current political climate in that city is not conducive to any dynamic ownership of a major sports franchise.

There is no way the Angel would consider leaving Southern California and there would be many fantastic possible locations that would be accessable from much of the Southland and with some of the metrolink and light rail that is being proposed and that exists, the fans of the Angels from all over So Cal would benefit with an brand new - baseball only facility - that is completely undisneyfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                  I find it funny that most who chose to participate in this poll seem to think that Anaheim will be the club's location when they break from ST in the 2017 season.

Votes that they will remain in Anaheim - 7

Votes that they will leave Anaheim - 15

Are you reading the same poll?

Comment

Elvis, the plurality of people, according to those of whom that chose to vote (I recused myself) did pick Anaheim. There also seem to be some sentiment that the Angels would actually leave So Cal, which I see as highly unlikely, and also downtown LA. In some types of elections, plurality wins.

Comment

Yeah, but that isn't what you said.

Comment

Nitpicker.

Comment

I found this discussion fascinating. In spite of my screen name I am also an Angels fan. One thing not brough into the discussion is the fact that the city council of today will not be the city council of tomorrow, Anaheim of today will not be Anaheim of tomorrow. Anyone who lives in O.C. (not The OC) knows that Anaheim has na gressive developement plan modeled around the Angel Stadium, the train station and the Pond. The Platinum Triangle will be an incredible hub of Orange County in the next 10 years. There is plenty of time to work with Mr Moreno and rebuild the relationship.

Arte Moreno won his case and will move forward with his plan to make the Angels the premier franchise in Southern California. Expect more Division titles, expect more League Championships and expect more World Championships.

My vote is for the Angels staying in Anaheim!
                          Last edited by cubmanjay; 03-23-2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but it seem that the Angels since their move to Anaheim has had a rather poor relationship with the Angels. I don't see that changing regardless on who is on the city council.

Back in the 1980s, the Angels sued the city over parking places because of the Rams' deal with the city. Arte himself was quoted as saying, "It seems as if they are trying to drive us out of town." Another quote was, "Anaheim acts like they own the Angels."

I think the city pursued a "pennywise but pound foolish" policiy vis-a-vis the Angels and Arte Moreno. This is a bridge that was burned and I really don't see much to change over the next decade and some fans have already expressed an interest for the club to leave that "cowtown" for another location.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X