way to much money for him.

I would have to agree there.

Comment

What a player though.
      Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by AlecBoy006
        I would have to agree there.
        So would I. You make one fancy catch and hit for the cycle once, you still don't deserve more than 30 mil.
        "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Mathews is a below average player. He has one very good season (in a contract year no less) at the age of 31 and gets a $50 mil/5 yr deal? It's a HUGE waste of money on the Angels part!! Mark my words on this one Gary Mathews Jr will not exceed .280 AVG, 15 HR, 80 runs, 150 hits, 30 doubles, 75 RBI, 10 steals in ANY of his 5 seasons with the Angels if he last that many more seasons even. His career OPS+ is 96! I'll say again. He is a below average player! There are AAAA players who could put up similar numbers to Mathews that could be playing at minimum salary.
          My dream ballpark dimensions
          LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
          RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
          Location....San Diego

Comment

AAAA players huh?

Comment

Let us not forget that David Ortiz was abandoned by two different teams, and still became one of the most feared hitters in baseball. I'm not saying Matthews will do that, but who knows...
              1979, 1982, 1986, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009

Comment

But usually players don't get payed that well until they prove they can be feared. Even Ortiz was only being payed $1.25 million his first year with Boston.
                2016 World Series Champions

Comment

I think there's too much negativity here. Put this in perspective: the Angels desperately needed another hitter, any hitter, to complement Vlad Guerrero and allow their offense the chance to actually score some runs. As much as I'm sure Angels fans would want to see Soriano or Lee go to LA, the Angels probably passed on them so that they have some money to give contracts to Weaver, Santana, and Lackey down the road. The next best guy was essentially Matthews, who is no perennial all-star, but it seems likely that he'll have a decent season at the plate. And if you think about how much extra cash was out there in the free agent market this year, the deal looks a lot more reasonable.

Comment

Gary Sheffield might be able to outhit Matthews and he was on the block.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Gary Sheffield is also a cancer to a clubhouse, something the Angels don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by seeingredagain
                        Gary Sheffield is also a cancer to a clubhouse, something the Angels don't need.
                        Hm, he seemed to behave himself in Atlanta...
                        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I don't know if you recall, but Sheffield was a cancer in Atlanta too. Remember, he had to cry for a trade because he couldn't get along with JD Drew (also one that a team with good chemistry doesn't need).

Comment

Jr is being rumored to be involved in the roid scandal. Does that explain one good season he had?
                            New York Yankees

2009 World Series Champions

Comment

He is overpaid but not too severely for today's standards, and the Angels are big spenders so it won't hurt too much.
                              :gt

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X