Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shea Hillenbrand to Anaheim (1/6.5)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

The Angels may be pulling out of the Helton negotiations now. This guy put up a total VORP of 5.1 last season! 5.1! And he's mostly a DH! He had an OPS+ of 93! If you look at last year's stats it easily makes him one of the worse signings of an already bad off-season, but at least it's only a one year commitment.

Not sure how this works out though because they're essentially taking at-bats away from some good young players like Quinlan and Kotchman and giving them to Hillenbrand. And of course, the clubhouse chemistry will be so much better now...
    Baseball Views from the North
    http://bvtn.blogspot.com

Comment

All I can say to you Angel's fans is enjoy. He is a horrible player. His regular stats are very misleading. He always got out in clutch situations. Add to that his clubhouse behaviour, and you have yourselves a $6.5 million waste of money.

Bottom line, lower your expectations.
      WAMCO!

Comment

Hes not that big of a waste of money. If he can give you 21 homers and a 277 average or above. I dont know if i would have spent 6.5 million on him though.

Comment

I really like the Angels this year - mostly because I think they have the best rotation in the majors - but I also think they did a decent job at improving their offense, at least with what they had to work with.

Probably the largest problem for them has been Kotchman, McPherson, and Morales getting hurt and not playing as well as they should be. Those young guys were the future of the Angels offense and corner infield. I think that Shea will at least be a steady force for them - he'll play some OK first base, maybe even third if he has to, and should be able to provide 18 home runs or so and a .780 OPS.

As with the Matthews signing, it looks as if Hillenbrand is making more money than he should be, and that might be true. But the Angles have money to spend, and they need any bat they can get. Factor in the inflated market and the fact that it's only a one-year contract, I consider this a victory for the Angels.

Comment

I thought Shea was decent enough on the field for the Jays, just his attitude is horrible so if things with the Angels go bad then it'll at least be fun to watch the ensuing train wreck.

So long as he makes it to August 14th still in the lineup I'll be happy.
            B.J. Birdie: 1979 - 1999. You will never be forgotten, death to Ace.

Comment

Hillenbrand goes yard...FINALLY! And we still come up on the wrong half of the box score. So that raises Shea's price per home run (PPHR) rating to an average of right around a cool million per big fly! Yeah totally worth the bucks and potential clubhouse dissent, nice going Stoneman! Maybe we can look into bolstering that bullpen with a little help from another stable presence, anybody got John Rocker's cell# ?
              ***Me to fellow die-hard Ryan in our front row seats in section 339 after the Angels scored their tenth run on an eighth inning Tommy Murphy home run (10+ runs = free hot wings):

"What the hell are you doing, dude?"

--"I'm flapping my wings for hot wings!"

"Sit the f*** down and stop acting like a drunk 15-year-old, you ain't Christopher Lloyd and we ain't sitting in the outfield"

Comment

And don't let the clubhouse door hit ya on the way out!
                ***Me to fellow die-hard Ryan in our front row seats in section 339 after the Angels scored their tenth run on an eighth inning Tommy Murphy home run (10+ runs = free hot wings):

"What the hell are you doing, dude?"

--"I'm flapping my wings for hot wings!"

"Sit the f*** down and stop acting like a drunk 15-year-old, you ain't Christopher Lloyd and we ain't sitting in the outfield"

Comment

Honestly, I expected nothing less.
                  WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
                    Honestly, I expected nothing less.
                    Well today, the LA Angels released Hillenbrand. What did I expect from his time in LA? Nothing, really. Stoneman did the right thing and released him, though the $6.5 million they signed him for was overkill.

Comment

Is Shea still playing somewhere. I know he played a little with San Diego but have they released him yet?
                      Click here for My Sports game http://www.angelfire.com/games5/baseball5/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X