Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it California, Anaheim, or Los Angeles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it California, Anaheim, or Los Angeles?

I dunno.............but what was wrong with the California Angels? What marketing manager "genius" decided the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim would attract more attention, and thus more revenue? Why does Anaheim have an inferiority complex when conversing about LA? Didn't Nolan Ryan, Rod Carew, Fred Lynn,and Reginald Jackson play for a team called the California Angels?
    California Angels
    55.56%
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
    0.00%
    Anaheim Angels
    33.33%
    Whatever, let's play baseball!
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

Still a long suffering TIGERS fan

Simply put:

* Anaheim is NOT LA
    * Anaheim isn't even in Los Angeles County
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

A tempest in a tea cup.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Isn't California the most populated state in the United States, if your going for marketing why not have California in the name. At least California Angels of Anaheim has a state and city in the name instead of two cities.
        I had the highest batting average ever in a single season in Major League history by being the only player to start and finish the season going 4 for 4 in 1974 for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Comment

To me, California Angels is even worse than Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Calling them the Cal. Angels suggests they're California's team. How can that be? We've got 5 teams in this state. Why not have:
          California Angels of Los Angeles and Anaheim
          California Dodgers of Los Angeles
          California Padres of Los Angeles and Anaheim (San Diego and LA are the same thing...only about 140 miles difference)
          California A's of Oakland and Fremont
          California Giants of San Francisco

That makes more sense.

Comment

While were at it, why don't we go with the Texas Astros of Houston? Or the Florida Devil Rays of Tampa Bay in St. Petersburg and sometimes at The Ballpark at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Lake Buena Vista near Orlando?
            I had the highest batting average ever in a single season in Major League history by being the only player to start and finish the season going 4 for 4 in 1974 for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by catbox_9 View Post
              California Padres of Los Angeles and Anaheim (San Diego and LA are the same thing...only about 140 miles difference)
              I know you're from Detroit and not long in these parts, so I'll let that slide.

But that is so not the case. :dismay:

Comment

why can't they go back to being the Anaheim Angels? Every other team in California has their city as their name, but no, we have two. Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants, and the <i>Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim</i>. Tell me why we can't have our city back.
                1979, 1982, 1986, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009

Comment

This is like saying NYC and Philly are the same thing. Or SF and Oakland.

They're not.
                  SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
                  "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by mojorisin71 View Post
                    This is like saying NYC and Philly are the same thing. Or SF and Oakland.

They're not.
                    Or New York and Boston.

Comment

What cracks me up is if you were to look at a G.A. baseball card, and you didn't know any better you'd see that he played for California, Anaheim, and then Los Angeles and think that he played for three different teams! The name sucks, luckily the team no longer does, so long as we're the First Place Angels of the Big A, then we're okay....
                      ***Me to fellow die-hard Ryan in our front row seats in section 339 after the Angels scored their tenth run on an eighth inning Tommy Murphy home run (10+ runs = free hot wings):

"What the hell are you doing, dude?"

--"I'm flapping my wings for hot wings!"

"Sit the f*** down and stop acting like a drunk 15-year-old, you ain't Christopher Lloyd and we ain't sitting in the outfield"

Comment

Well for now the name sticks!!
                        http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,3560927.story
                        As an alien, I always thought that Anaheim was part of greater Los Angeles ( a city within a city, which is common in Sydney Australia), and as a tourist way back in the 70's that was how it was perceived by everyone I knew. However, since I joined BBF I found out that some cities in the Los Angeles area seem to feel insulted to be considered to be part of Los Angeles, and are in fact cities on their own merits.

Unfortunately for the baseball fraternity of Anaheim you are stuck with the stigma of being part of Los Angeles.

I guess the team itself doesn't really care as long as it has a winning season! I will be rootin' for you when you are not playing the Dodgers or the Red Sox!!
                        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

(San Diego and LA are the same thing...only about 140 miles difference)
                          Washington DC And Philly are about that distance. Could call the Eagles "The Philidelphia Eagles of Washington DC" and watch there own fans boo their own team. ooh wait they already do that.

Comment

I usually just stick to calling them 'The Angels'. Although, sometimes I will call them the California Angels.
                            My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

I just call them the Angels... whatever they are, I still will root against them :P

Anaheim is the best prefix of all of them, no need to have LA in their name. But politics is politics I guess.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X