Brendan Donnely
    Scott Schoenweis
    Donnie Moore
    Troy Percival

SU Man:

Francisco Rodriguez

Closer:

Lee Smith
    "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

bartolo colon???? come on man, hes been on the angles for like two years

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
      bartolo colon???? come on man, hes been on the angles for like two years
      In that case, he shouldn't have included Lee Smith, who was an Angel for only 1 1/2 years.
      Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero Mad Man 2715
        Lineup:

1. Rickey Henderson CF
        2. Rod Carew 2B
        3. Vladimir Guerrero RF
        4. Reggie Jackson DH
        5. Garret Anderson LF
        6. Troy Glaus 3B
        7. Wally Joyner/Mo Vaughn 1B
        8. Bengie Molina C
        9. Gary Discarcina SS

Rotation:

1. Nolan Ryan
        2. Bert Blyleven
        3. Chuck Finley
        4. Bartolo Colon
        5. Don Sutton

Bullpen:

Scot Shields
        Brendan Donnely
        Scott Schoenweis
        Donnie Moore
        Troy Percival

SU Man:

Francisco Rodriguez

Closer:

Lee Smith
        Henderson hardly played for the Angels.
        Carew never played 2b for the Angels, but played first for several fine seasons.
        Most of you players were in the last decade, never considered Dean Chance who won the Cy Young in 1964 with a 1.64 ERA and 22 wins?
        Bryan Harvey not considered?
        Mini Rojas was very promising before his tragic auto accident and held the Angel save record until Bryan Harvey.
        Blyleven had one great season for the Angels, as did Sutton.
        Jim Fregosi was the face of the Angels for a decade and the manager of the first Division Champs as still holds a few club records.
        Mo Vaughn in an alltime Angels team? Might as well put Alex Johnson on that team as well.
        Scott Schowenweiss is a jerk and is among the Alex Johnson and Jose Guillens on the Angel s hit list. The comments he said when it looked like the players were going on strike, never endeared him to the fans after that. He refused to stay on the team despite he was going to be in the pen, because he thought he should be a starter. Besides, there are other in club history that were better.

The problem with too many All-Time teams is that recent players get more weight. Check a little more in the history of the club. I think Colon would be an addition to that staff if he gets another good year.

Here is mine:
        1b Rod Carew
        2b Bobby Grich
        SS Jim Fregosi
        3b Doug DeCinces
        LF Garrett Anderson
        CF Fred Lynn
        RF Vlade Guerrero (just replacing Tim Salmon)
        C Bob Boone
        DH Don Baylor
        Ut Chone Figgins (ok, he is young, but he has played every position asked these last two seasons, and doing so well)
        SP Nolan Ryan (4 no-nos, 383 k's, 2 20 season wins)
        SP Mike Witt (perfect game and several strog seasons)
        SP Chuck Finley( many team pitching records)
        SP Frank Tanana (several god seasons in the mid 1970s until arm injury, then went to the 'pen)
        SP Dean Chance (MLB CYA in 1964, 22 wins 1.64 ERA)
        RP Troy Percival (Among the best closers in his era)
        RP Minnie Rojas (had club record in saves for many years, cripples by a auto accident)
        RP Bryan Harvey (first angel reliever since Moore and Rojas that was consistant)
        RP Frankie Rodriguez (post season in 2002, 'nuf said)
        RP Donnie Moore (aside from one pitch to Dave Henderson, great all star season in 85, pitch hurt and on courage in 86)

Indentionally left off: (Added)

Alex Johnson (no way would any old time Angel fan EVER consider him for anything and would never be invited to take part in any event at the Big A)
        Jose Guillen (last week in 2004, enough said)
        Jim Edmonds (see post down below)

"Considered"

Brian Downing (Gosh, Garrett Anderson is a better payer, but I loved him as an Angel)
        Tim Salmon (just dropped off this season)
        Bartolo Colon (another good year and just may be added)
        Don Sutton (not long enough)
        Tommy John (see above)
        Bobby Knoop (nice career, but Grich was better)
        Gary DiSarcina (same as above, but Fregosi was "Mr Angel" for a decade and was a multiple all-star)
        Bengie Molina (Boone seemed a bit smoother behind the plate for a longer period and more durable)
        Wally Joyner ( nice career and a great rookie season, but did not like how he left the team)
        Reggie Jackson ( not bad, but Baylor won an MVP at DH in 1979 and Salmon and Vlade's presence in right outshine Reggie)
        Last edited by Bluesteve32; 01-30-2006, 11:29 AM.
        http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

I'd take the Angels career of Jim Edmonds over the three full seasons plus strike year that Fred Lynn gave them. Both very fine fielders, of course, though Fred didn't get any Gold Gloves with the Angels.

If we want to fill out the bench some more, there's got to be a place for Brian Downing. I might almost take him over Baylor as DH, but Baylor was clearly a greater power threat. Another useful glove man would be Bobby Knoop.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball
            I'd take the Angels career of Jim Edmonds over the three full seasons plus strike year that Fred Lynn gave them. Both very fine fielders, of course, though Fred didn't get any Gold Gloves with the Angels.

If we want to fill out the bench some more, there's got to be a place for Brian Downing. I might almost take him over Baylor as DH, but Baylor was clearly a greater power threat. Another useful glove man would be Bobby Knoop.
            Sorry, Jim Edmonds will never make any of my all-Angels team. Many others feel similarly. The word is he was a clubhouse cancer, and he has had a great career for the Cards and may have become a better teammate, but as an Angel, he would never make my squad.

I also know guys who umpired his HS games, and more than one used the term (it starts with a "P" and rhymes with "Rick") to discribe him and his attitude.

Lynn was an all-star game MVP and one of the few (the first) from a losing team to win MVP in a LCS. His Angel credentials are just fine.

Comment

I did consider Dean Chance but he only had two great years in his ten year teniure. Now, maybe I didn't contribute to what you want where as these players had a long teniure with the Angels. I considered those who played for the Angels for however many years. So in this case, Dave winfield who played under a full season with the Angels would be considered. I know Jim Fregosi and those guys and Baylor had a long teniure with the Angels but anything goes as long as they played for them.
              "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Comment

Dean Chance won, until this season, the only Angel Cy Young, which was given to the best in MLB, not just he League in those days. Baylor won an MVP, only Vlade has done that. Fregosi's stats and service is far more significant to the Angels that Gary DiSarcina's ever would be.

If you on that, perhaps Rooster Burleson is the best SS to have ever played for the Angels.

I look at these categories: service with the Angels, overall stats and team records, and significance to Angels history whan an all-Angels team is made.

Rickey Henderson and Dave Winfield are footnotes in Angel history. Reggie was ok, but Baylor won the MVP as a DH, which I don't think has been done since. Carew played 2 games for the Halos at second base, so how can you place him there over Grich, who had several offensive records and played a decade of solid second base for the club? I can buy Joyner at first, but never Moo Vaughn, but how can you leave off HOFer Carew when he played several season at first for two division championships? Why not HOFer Hoyt Wihlem as a RP? So even your own criteria is wanting.

Bengie Molina is not a bad choice and maybe in a few years, I 'd put him on over Boone.

Comment

How about Dick Schofield as the greatest Angel shortstop

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83
                    How about Dick Schofield as the greatest Angel shortstop
                    He was a great shorstop, his bat was a bit weak. I'd rate him over DiSarcina, overall, but Fregosi was a multiple All-Star and a gold glove winner, Schofield was neither nor was DiSarcina.

Comment

Okay, Steve, I hope I didn't hit a sour note. Mo Vaughn had some great years for the Angels, yes Don Baylor won the MVP but that was a breakout season, not to mention his only 100 RBI + season, but still a good one. Rod Carew played 2B alot with the Twins, so having expieriance there, I can't replace Wally Joyner. Bobby Grich or Rod Carew, that's the choice you have at second or you could get rid of "Wally's World" at 1st.

Comment

No, there is no sour note, but the typical thing about all-whatever teams is that more recent players get too much recognition.

Carew vs Joyner at first....hey if you give Wally first, that's not a bad choice at all. I am sure Joyner's number are quite favorable to Carew's Angel numbers.

Grich vs Carew at second. Let's put Angel careers together here, as Grich had a great career, some even think (I am not sure) that he should be a HOF 2nd baseman, and Carew played two games for the Angels at that position and won all seven of his batting titles for the Twins and the last half of his career was a first baseman.

Mo Vaughn played two seasons with the Angels, and badmouths the club after he leaves. Most Angel fans would put him in the Guillen-Alex Johnson camp. I was not impressed with him at all, and the year he leaves the club, the Angels win the WS. Vaughn had 225 RBIs in two seasons, Baylor played six productive seasons wit hthe Angels, won an MVP with 139 RBIs in 1979, and was a key contributor to two division titles in the pre-'roids era. The Angels won diddley squat with Moo Vaughn.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X