Hey Angels fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Angels fans!

How's it going? I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone. I look forward to chatting with everyone who are fans of the Angels. I'm from LA and it is still weird to hear the Anaheim Angels be called the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Anyone else agree??

Welcome to the family. BBF is the best message board out there if you are looking for good discussions.

Hopefully this year the Angels board can be more active, seems like Mrs. Autry's "small market" team only gets the "small market" share of the postings. Looking forward to a great Angels 2006.

Comment

Welcome aboard SportsGirl.

I hope you have a great time posting here.We have the most knowledgeable baseball fans around here.

Best of luck to your Halos this year,and hope to see you guys back in Chicago in October.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsGirl
        How's it going? I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone. I look forward to chatting with everyone who are fans of the Angels. I'm from LA and it is still weird to hear the Anaheim Angels be called the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Anyone else agree??
        They were the California Angels for over thirty seasons. The "Anaheim" is recent, from 1997, when Disney owned the club. The started off being Los Angeles Angels in 1961 and actually shared playing in Chavez Ravine with the Dodger for four seasons.

Also, when you look at local baseball history, the Los Angeles Angels were among the anchors of the old Pacific Coast League, especially during the "open era" of the 1950s, when the PCL was given a AAAA status, as opposed to AAA. Those LA Angels were formed in 1903 and in other leagues prior to 1903 there were several incarnations of Los Angeles Angels dating back to the 1880s.

For 15 seasons, the Los Angeles Rams played in the very same venue and no one said much about that. Also you must realize the Lakers and Kings played for thirty seasons in the (Great Western) Forum, located in Inglewood, and the city of Inglewood never insisted the Kings or Lakers use "Inglewood" in their name. While we are on Inglewood, why is Hollywood Park, located in Inglewood? There are some 15 miles between Hollywood and Inglewood, yet no one complains about that! Bob Hope Airport, AKA Burbank Airport for years was called "Hollywood-Burbank" Airport before being sensibly renamed Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport but since has been renamed in honor of Bob Hope.
        http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

sports girl

Welcome.

Many of us are new...and are having the time of our lives posting here. Kudos to BlueSteve who "gets it"...he has a great picture of the grandest of all the old Angels, Steve Bilko, one my personal favorites...don't know that many guys who played for both the AAA(A) and the AL versions of Los Halos. This site needs more activity...so let's hop to it.

Anyone got any good pics they wish to share? When you do, please describe the post, tell us who the players are and where the shots were taken...

Robb

Comment

Off hand, Del Rice was on the 1961 Angels, was a manager in 1972 and played for the PCL LA Angels.

Gene Mauch played for the PCL Angels and managed the 1982 and 1986 AL West Champions.

This pic is of Gene at old Wrigley. Notice the ivy on the left field wall.
            Attached Files

Comment

Many Angel fans know that Eli Grba was the first starting pitcher in Angels history and posted a 7-2 win over the Baltimore Orioles in the ignaugral game for the Halos at old memoria Stadium in Baltimore.

I think it would be great to get Mr Grba throw out a first pitch at some significat even this year at the Big A.

Here is Eli in his Angel road uniform.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SportsGirl
                Obviously, the "of Anaheim" is required to satisfy the lease agreement with the City which says Anaheim must be part of the name. I'd like to see it dropped and go with Los Angeles Angels, with Los Angeles representing the media market in which Anaheim and Orange County are a part.

I'm from the area but now live in Louisiana, so I depend on these message boards to find out what's going on with the Angels.

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

John, maybe investing in the satellite radio and you can hear Rory and Terry broadcast Angel games just like you were listening on AM 710. Close you eyes and you just may hear Dick Enberg and Don Drysdale.

Comment

pics

Geez, this is like I don't know what....terrific pics of Mauch and Eli...lovin' it!

Del Rice played with the AAA version? What year? I had no clue. And, yes Gene Mauch managed the big club for several years...greatest manager never to win a pennant.

I have a '57 LA Angels yearbook somewhere around here...once I find it, I'll scan something and post.

Thanks for the pics. And, yes I had heard that Sgt. Bilko was named after Big Steve...

Tell me about "blue steve"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X