Angel rookie flying high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel rookie flying high!

Jose Arredondo has rebounded from minor league troubles last year to be an important part of Mike Scioscia's bullpen.

OAKLAND -- Nothing about Jose Arredondo, the 6-foot, 175-pound Angels reliever, seems physically imposing until you see his hands, which look like they belong to an NBA power forward.

"He's like E.T.," Manager Mike Scioscia said, "only he has five fingers."

And they do more than phone home.

"I've got big hands, monkey hands," Arredondo said with a chuckle. "That helps me throw the split-fingered fastball, which is a good pitch to have."

The 24-year-old right-hander from the Dominican Republic has used that hard-sinking pitch, along with a slider and 94-mph fastball, to zoom into a prominent late-inning relief role since his May 13 recall from triple-A Salt Lake.

After giving up a home run to his first batter, Nick Swisher of the White Sox on May 14, Arredondo has thrown 9 2/3 scoreless innings, giving up five hits, striking out eight and walking none in eight appearances. He has an earned-run average of 0.93.....

Arredondo has been so dominant he has moved into the No. 3 bullpen slot, behind closer Francisco Rodriguez and setup man Scot Shields and ahead of veteran Justin Speier.

rest of story......keep an eye on this guy! Has presence on the mound, poise, throws strikes in high 90's....!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...,6408905.story
    Attached Files
    Last edited by califangels72; 06-08-2008, 05:03 PM.

Yeah, I watched him pitch. Pretty solid, has good stuff. I was wondering where the hell did he come from. A great set-up man before getting to lights out K-Rod.

Comment

...Surprise....

The Angels call up another stud! These guys are loaded!

When's Wood gonna get a real shot?
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I've seen him pitch a couple of times already. Great arm!
        SeasonTicketPartner.com ..... Connect with Season Ticket Partners!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSportsFan View Post
          I've seen him pitch a couple of times already. Great arm!
          Lots of talk that he's the angels wild card if frankie rodriguez walks after this year...being a free agent. Yankees as usual have their eye on him.....

anyway, hes getting a chance to pitch, prove himself.....doing better than the angels other prospect, brandon wood, whos just DYING against big league pitching....lost at the plate!!!!!!!!!!

Arredondo's stats so far this year........

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/tea...ayer_id=461766
          Attached Files

Comment

.69 ERA isn't too bad! Very well could be a wildcard if Frankie walks!
            SeasonTicketPartner.com ..... Connect with Season Ticket Partners!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X