X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The True Heirs!

Angel Fans:

You are the true heirs to rich and glorious baseball history
    of Los Angeles! The City of the Angels, indeed!

That other team was ripped from it's true heirs-the good
    citizens of Brooklyn, NY-the Borough of Churches!

Good luck Angels! Good luck Angel fans!

Brownie31

Thank you, and yes I agree. And I know that my father raised me as an Angel fan because he had grown up in the LA area in the 30s and was familiar with the LA Angels. And while some of my best friends are Dodger fans that team is always a second choice of teams to root for in my house. As kids in the 60s my siblings and I always enjoyed following the Angels struggles. My earliest baseball memory is us chanting "Paul Schaal/ Hit the Ball/ Over the Wall".

Comment

Originally posted by Cucamongadan
      Thank you, and yes I agree. And I know that my father raised me as an Angel fan because he had grown up in the LA area in the 30s and was familiar with the LA Angels. And while some of my best friends are Dodger fans that team is always a second choice of teams to root for in my house. As kids in the 60s my siblings and I always enjoyed following the Angels struggles. My earliest baseball memory is us chanting "Paul Schaal/ Hit the Ball/ Over the Wall".
      You are quite welcome. Sounds like you have a long
      and honorable family heritage in re the Angels as well.

Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Cucamongadan
        Schaal had 25 career Angel home runs. He's typical of the players us fans from the 60s depended on.

It's gratifying for fans like us to say now, "We were Angel fans 40 years before being an Angel fan was cool."

Loyalty runs deep, and we never gave up in our hopes that we would one day rise to prominence.

The biggest disappointment for me was 1971, when the Alex Johnson-Tony Conigliaro team didn't pan out. I really thought they were going to win a pennant that year.

I'm still in denial about 2002. When Rory Markas said after winning the AL pennant that in Heaven Gene Autry is putting his arm around Donnie Moore and saying, "C'mon son, we're goin' to the World Series" I was shedding tears. My wife wouldn't stop trying to talk to me and my vocal mechanism could not function. The year began when a local store claimed they couldn't get me an Angel cap even though they were a national chain. Then I wrote the Angels and Tim Mead saw to it I'd get one and gave me a discount.

The name change is a crucial component in making this a signature franchise because Los Angeles Angels represents the entire target audience. Plus, carrying the ancestral name of Los Angeles baseball suddenly casts the Angels in the light of the team with tradition. The behavior of the Dodgers disgusts me and they are rapidly alienating themselves from me. Frank McCourt is an absloute idiot, as is the City of Anaheim politicians. Arte Moreno is a genius and if Anaheim would just play ball with him they will be rewarded.

I also hope that the Angels stick with the youth movement because if you want to be perrenial contenders you have to develop the nucleus of your teams. :atthepc

The Angels are the home team. The Dodgers are a mistress who left home.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
          Plus, carrying the ancestral name of Los Angeles baseball suddenly casts the Angels in the light of the team with tradition.
          Silliness. It's just a name. The California/Anaheim/"L.A." American League franchise's history goes back no further than 1961. Are the Washington Nationals a "team with tradition" too because they stole the Twins old name? Baloney sauce. If I changed my last name to Roosevelt could I then claim to be a relative of FDR?

The Dodgers are a mistress who left home
          A mistress with 5 World Championships. Lots of mistresses in baseball anyway including the Orioles, A's, Giants, Yankees and Braves.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
            Angel Fans:

You are the true heirs to rich and glorious baseball history
            of Los Angeles!
            Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax Pitched for the Angels? :noidea

Comment

The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                Silliness. It's just a name. The California/Anaheim/"L.A." American League franchise's history goes back no further than 1961. Are the Washington Nationals a "team with tradition" too because they stole the Twins old name? Baloney sauce. If I changed my last name to Roosevelt could I then claim to be a relative of FDR?

A mistress with 5 World Championships. Lots of mistresses in baseball anyway including the Orioles, A's, Giants, Yankees and Braves.
                The Angels began anew in 1961. They did not come into
                being by ripping the heart out of one of America's great
                cities and it's wonderful fans.

I don't consider the jumping jacks of baseball as mistresses.
                The word that comes to mind for me begins with a w,
                sounds like it begins with an h and rhymes with ore.

Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045

I have been a lifetime Dodger fan, but they are rapidly alienating themselves from me over their pettiness concerning the Angels. Even the great Vin Scully was referring to them as "Anaheim" last year, I would imagine under orders from McCourt. The Dodgers I grew up with concentrated on doing their own thing rather than worrying over what the other guy did. This was the team I knew and loved. They won 18 pennants and 6 world championships that way and why they don't go back to what made them so successful is beyond me.

It does make a difference to me that both incarnations of the Angels (the PCL team and the AL teams) were Los Angeles natives because that's where I'm originally from. My primary allegiance switched from the Dodgers to the Angels when I found out the Dodgers were transplanted and broke a lot of hearts in leaving. There are still many bereaved Brooklyn fans. They even keep track of how many Brooklyn Dodger players are still alive. What bothers me most is that MLB didn't replace the team. They replaced the Giants in New York, the A's in Kansas City, the Pilots in Seattle, but didn't replace America's Team. The Dodgers honored the 1955 World Champions last year but dressed the players in uniforms with "LA" on the sleeve. That was clASSless.

The Twins were officially the Washington Nationals, but they were popularly known as the Washington Senators. I would say that "Senators" is the ancestral name of Washington D.C. baseball.

The first Los Angeles Angels team was fielded in 1903 and they operated there through the 1957 season. "Los Angeles" means "The Angels." Walter O'Malley traded the Ft. Worth Cats of the Texas League to the Cubs for the Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League, and for a while considered renaming the Brooklyn Dodgers the Los Angeles Angels after moving to L.A. I'm sure you would have considered that franchise an illegitimate heir to the name, too. Instead, he sold the name "Los Angeles Angels" to Gene Autry for $300,000 and thanks to Arte Moreno the ancestral name of L.A. baseball is back. THIS is L.A. Baseball (I wrote that on the Dodger MLB board and the moderator deleted it).

Comment

L.A. baseball is played in the city of Angels, not the city of Mickey Mouse.

You stopped being a Dodger fan when you found out the truth. Did you stop being a proud American when you found out how we commited genocide and other horrible attrocities to claim this land that your Anaheim Angels and everyone else in the U.S.A. now call home?

If not, why do you put O'Malley's "attrocities" as so much worse than what you ccan forgive and move past as a part of your own national history.

If you're a full-blooded American Indian, then I'm sorry for the question.

Oh and BTW, Benny deletes EVERYTHING over there!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X