Judge: Angels can market themselves as Los Angeles Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge: Angels can market themselves as Los Angeles Angels

I am sick and tired of this endless crap!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...rts-mlb-angels

From the Los Angeles Times
    ANGELS REPORT
    Judge: Just 'L.A.' Is OK
    By Bill Shaikin
    Times Staff Writer

May 13, 2006

In a decision that could persuade the city of Anaheim to revive its litigation against the Angels, a judge ruled Friday the team can market itself as the Los Angeles Angels, with no mention of Anaheim.

"If they want to put Los Angeles Angels on a T-shirt, they can," Orange County Superior Court Judge Peter Polos said.

The team does not plan to do so and intends to continue to promote itself as the Angels, with no city attached, spokesman Tim Mead said. In January, owner Arte Moreno said he would not sell "Los Angeles" merchandise at the ballpark and would not produce any such items but said goods produced by Major League Baseball could call the team by any name.

In February, a jury found the team had not broken its stadium lease by changing its name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. On Friday, Polos denied Anaheim's request for specific language accompanying the verdict that would forbid the team from selling itself as the Los Angeles Angels. The jury decided the Angels "can market the team any way they want," Polos said.

Anaheim co-counsel Mike Rubin said he believes the City Council is more likely to appeal the verdict, given what he called this "judicial sanction" for the Angels to drop the Anaheim name everywhere but formal documents. The deadline for the city to appeal has been delayed to June 11. :atthepc

Wanna bet Arte is already looking around Orange County for a suitable site for Angels Stadium II?

Eddie Cunningham
    20 20

Finally---something Nats and Birds fans can agree on!

Comment

Originally posted by eddiejc1
      Wanna bet Arte is already looking around Orange County for a suitable site for Angels Stadium II?

Eddie Cunningham
      I'd bet he's looking everyplace BUT Orange County.

Comment

I still think Orange County has nothing to do with Los Angeles, but of course you can think in a different way about that. I also think their current name is silly.

Did the Orange County city counsel ever complain when the Angels were still called California Angels?

Comment

I don't think anyone cared about the name "California," since at the time (1965), there was only one AL team in California (the A's moved to Oakland after the 1967 season).
          SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
          "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X