Pujols signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pujols signing

anyone else remember when this guy could hit??

i think he made a mistake leaving the Cards

Originally posted by bassball View Post
    anyone else remember when this guy could hit??
    I do - it happened from mid-May through Sept. of last year, and Spring Training /first 3 weeks of April in 2013. I'd bet a billion dollars it will happen again.

That being said - any 10 year contract for a 32 year old is a bad one. I certainly bet he regrets not coming back to STL - they are still good.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I know this guy CAN hit. He has had a very painful bout with that palntar fasciitis that has plagued him for much of his career, and a knee injury too, this year. Like Matthew said, he raked last year after a slow start and was doing just fine through the spring and the beginning of the season. he will be fine. A healthy Pujols is still an extremely dangerous hitter. An unhealthy Pujols is still a major threat in the lineup.

I doubt he regrets leaving St. Louis. He has his friends down there in SoCal, Jim Edmonds and Mark McGwire. Jimmy was helping him to find good schools and a place to live while their wives worked out details. Pujols had said that he was a real instrumental part of making the decision to move down there, and they are probably all fine. I don't pay a lot of attention to the private lives of these guys, but I imagine they are having a good time.

Yeah, Yadi, Holliday, Carp and Berkman all really wanted their fellow leader back with the Redbirds. For Albert it was time to move on. I don't think he has any regrets. He will get paid regardless. That's why he went where the money is, because we were NOT going to give him a 10 year deal.
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
        - any 10 year contract for a 32 year old is a bad one. I certainly bet he regrets not coming back to STL - they are still good.
        Right, "32", of course.
        The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
          Right, "32", of course.
          Legal paperwork that went public years ago says that is his age. Burden of proof is on those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes and high levels of production that he isn't really that age.

Not that it is impossible, but just like with the PED issue - people deserve the B.O.T.D.
          Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-19-2013, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I think he's finished. The Cardinals couldn't have played that any smarter. I don't even see pitchers try and pitch around him anymore. I'm sure he'll get his 30 homeruns and close to 100 rbi's but he's in Frank Thomas post 2000 mode now. I think he made a huge mistake leaving St Louis if you look at his legacy of being an alltime great but he made the right decision business wise.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Matthew stated:

those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes

Is it stereotyping when based on empirical information?
              Sadly, some negative ethnic stereotypes are earned.

Here’s a partial list of Latino ballplayers who claimed they were younger than their age:
              http://www.faniq.com/blog/Miguel-Tej...-Age-Blog-8201

El Duque
              Rafael Furcal
              Manny Aybar
              Bartolo Colon
              Deivi Cruz
              Octavio Dotel
              Juan Guzman
              David Ortiz
              Ramon Ortiz
              Luis Polonia
              Alfonso Soriano
              Luis Vizcaino
              Enrique Wilson
              Fernando Valenzuela
              Danny Almonte – little league pitcher

Some have claimed they were older:

Adrtian Beltre
              Edgar Renteria
              Esyeban Yan
              Wilson Betemit

Perhaps you’re also applying a stereotype to those who don’t share your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by tom3 View Post
                Matthew stated:

those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes

Is it stereotyping when based on empirical information?
                None of your empirical evidence mentioned Pujols

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
                  None of your empirical evidence mentioned Pujols
                  I think he's making a point that it's hard to not stereotype when so many Latin players fake their ages.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Even if 50% of the people in jail or black, it would be wrong and foolish to assume that 50% of black people are criminals.

Unless one has evidence that a majority of Latin players are older than they say, I will give Pujols the BOTD.

Some ethnic stedreotypes are "earned"- but each individual in that group deserves to be judged by their own merits, not their ethnic group.

If you build Popeye's Chicken in Feguson, you are a smart business man. If a black person moves in next to you and you buy them fried chicken as a welcome gift - that is a whole different story.
                    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

the Angels will regret signing him if they do not already

Comment

Originally posted by bassball View Post
                        the Angels will regret signing him if they do not already
                        The Angels might be in big trouble with Pujols and Hamilton.

Comment

I think that when a team signs a player of his age & stature to a ten-year deal, ideally they're hoping for 3-4 seasons of eliteness, 2-3 of being passable, and the remaining 2-3 as a sunk cost. Unfortunately for the Angels, Pujols hasn't been that elite player during the early part of the deal.
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                            Even if 50% of the people in jail or black, it would be wrong and foolish to assume that 50% of black people are criminals.
                            Yes. Anyone who claimed that would be displaying zero understanding of statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
                              I think that when a team signs a player of his age & stature to a ten-year deal, ideally they're hoping for 3-4 seasons of eliteness, 2-3 of being passable, and the remaining 2-3 as a sunk cost. Unfortunately for the Angels, Pujols hasn't been that elite player during the early part of the deal.
                              So why, in the name of all that is righteous, would you sign anyone to a ten year contract when you are only expecting 3-4 years of top quality output?

Anyway, it's 2015 and another pi55-poor start to the season from Pujols. When does this officially become the worst big money contract in MLB history?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X