X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walter sobchak
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I think that when a team signs a player of his age & stature to a ten-year deal, ideally they're hoping for 3-4 seasons of eliteness, 2-3 of being passable, and the remaining 2-3 as a sunk cost. Unfortunately for the Angels, Pujols hasn't been that elite player during the early part of the deal.
    So why, in the name of all that is righteous, would you sign anyone to a ten year contract when you are only expecting 3-4 years of top quality output?

Anyway, it's 2015 and another pi55-poor start to the season from Pujols. When does this officially become the worst big money contract in MLB history?

Leave a comment:

• filihok
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
    Even if 50% of the people in jail or black, it would be wrong and foolish to assume that 50% of black people are criminals.
    Yes. Anyone who claimed that would be displaying zero understanding of statistics.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    I think that when a team signs a player of his age & stature to a ten-year deal, ideally they're hoping for 3-4 seasons of eliteness, 2-3 of being passable, and the remaining 2-3 as a sunk cost. Unfortunately for the Angels, Pujols hasn't been that elite player during the early part of the deal.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by bassball View Post
    the Angels will regret signing him if they do not already
    The Angels might be in big trouble with Pujols and Hamilton.

Leave a comment:

• bassball
    replied
    the Angels will regret signing him if they do not already

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Even if 50% of the people in jail or black, it would be wrong and foolish to assume that 50% of black people are criminals.

Unless one has evidence that a majority of Latin players are older than they say, I will give Pujols the BOTD.

Some ethnic stedreotypes are "earned"- but each individual in that group deserves to be judged by their own merits, not their ethnic group.

If you build Popeye's Chicken in Feguson, you are a smart business man. If a black person moves in next to you and you buy them fried chicken as a welcome gift - that is a whole different story.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-19-2013, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by filihok View Post
    None of your empirical evidence mentioned Pujols
    I think he's making a point that it's hard to not stereotype when so many Latin players fake their ages.

Leave a comment:

• filihok
    replied
    Originally posted by tom3 View Post
    Matthew stated:

those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes

Is it stereotyping when based on empirical information?
    None of your empirical evidence mentioned Pujols

Leave a comment:

• tom3
    replied
    Matthew stated:

those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes

Is it stereotyping when based on empirical information?
    Sadly, some negative ethnic stereotypes are earned.

Here’s a partial list of Latino ballplayers who claimed they were younger than their age:
    http://www.faniq.com/blog/Miguel-Tej...-Age-Blog-8201

El Duque
    Rafael Furcal
    Manny Aybar
    Bartolo Colon
    Deivi Cruz
    Octavio Dotel
    Juan Guzman
    David Ortiz
    Ramon Ortiz
    Luis Polonia
    Alfonso Soriano
    Luis Vizcaino
    Enrique Wilson
    Fernando Valenzuela
    Danny Almonte – little league pitcher

Some have claimed they were older:

Adrtian Beltre
    Edgar Renteria
    Esyeban Yan
    Wilson Betemit

Perhaps you’re also applying a stereotype to those who don’t share your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I think he's finished. The Cardinals couldn't have played that any smarter. I don't even see pitchers try and pitch around him anymore. I'm sure he'll get his 30 homeruns and close to 100 rbi's but he's in Frank Thomas post 2000 mode now. I think he made a huge mistake leaving St Louis if you look at his legacy of being an alltime great but he made the right decision business wise.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Right, "32", of course.
    Legal paperwork that went public years ago says that is his age. Burden of proof is on those who are speculating just based on ethnic stereotypes and high levels of production that he isn't really that age.

Not that it is impossible, but just like with the PED issue - people deserve the B.O.T.D.
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
    - any 10 year contract for a 32 year old is a bad one. I certainly bet he regrets not coming back to STL - they are still good.
    Right, "32", of course.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    I know this guy CAN hit. He has had a very painful bout with that palntar fasciitis that has plagued him for much of his career, and a knee injury too, this year. Like Matthew said, he raked last year after a slow start and was doing just fine through the spring and the beginning of the season. he will be fine. A healthy Pujols is still an extremely dangerous hitter. An unhealthy Pujols is still a major threat in the lineup.

I doubt he regrets leaving St. Louis. He has his friends down there in SoCal, Jim Edmonds and Mark McGwire. Jimmy was helping him to find good schools and a place to live while their wives worked out details. Pujols had said that he was a real instrumental part of making the decision to move down there, and they are probably all fine. I don't pay a lot of attention to the private lives of these guys, but I imagine they are having a good time.

Yeah, Yadi, Holliday, Carp and Berkman all really wanted their fellow leader back with the Redbirds. For Albert it was time to move on. I don't think he has any regrets. He will get paid regardless. That's why he went where the money is, because we were NOT going to give him a 10 year deal.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by bassball View Post
    anyone else remember when this guy could hit??
    I do - it happened from mid-May through Sept. of last year, and Spring Training /first 3 weeks of April in 2013. I'd bet a billion dollars it will happen again.

That being said - any 10 year contract for a 32 year old is a bad one. I certainly bet he regrets not coming back to STL - they are still good.

Leave a comment:

• bassball
    started a topic Pujols signing

Pujols signing

anyone else remember when this guy could hit??

i think he made a mistake leaving the Cards

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X