Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake83
    The Phillies and Orioles have had uniforms in the past with city
    So have the Angels during their first years as the LA Angels, early-mid 60's - then they had their state name. after that.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaCajun
      Major league teams represent a market, not a specific city. The Angels never left the Los Angeles market, even though you and others would like to believe that. My wife never lived in California and she can't remember that my birthplace was Burbank, and that I spent most of my formative years in Anaheim and Garden Grove. And I have taken her to those places on vacation. The only way she and the majority of people can pinpoint where I'm from, where Disneyland is, and where the Angels play is to be told these things are in the Los Angeles area.

Gene Autry paid Walter O'Malley $350,000 so that he could have the same territorial rights and in that deal he also acquired the name "Angels."

This territorial right was not forfeited when the Angels moved to Anaheim. The previous ownerships did not market the entire area they were entitled to represent, and that plus the "California" and "Anaheim" names gave people the false impression that this was an Orange County team. As a result, the Angels could not afford to compete and it showed. They had losing seasons two out of three years on average, never won two consecutive championships at any level (until last year), and still have never had more than two seasons in a row over .500. They even tried to enlist the help of successful ex-Dodger executives, which might point out better than anything else that the Angels did not operate on a level playing field.

Then they get a new owner who takes a fresh look at the situation and has an open mind. First of all, he's puzzled why a team in the #2 media market hasn't been any more successful. He sees all the ways the club has been mismanaged for 40+ years and sets out to correct it. He reclaims the marketplace so the Angels will have the potential to afford and sustain excellence, puts up billboards everywhere, and gives the team the only true geographical designation that represents the entire area.

There's hell to pay when you're doing the right things to succeed because others perceive you to be a threat. You can tell how good an idea is by who is against it. The Dodgers and Dodger fans are clearly nervous about the idea of actually having to earn their territorial dominance instead of just have it handed to them. The City of Anaheim politicians want to compete against Los Angeles and are willing to cripple the Angels in order to perpetuate the perception that they own them.

You are just another small-minded Dodger fan, in the image of the equally small-minded Frank McCourt, that thinks Dodger success depends in part on Angel failure. You guys really piss me off.

I have been a lifetime Dodger fan, and remember lying in bed at night in my room in Garden Grove listening to Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett bring me the games. The Dodgers were my primary team. But when you guys start up with this crap that the Angels aren't entitled to be called the Los Angeles Angels and the owner spends money behind the scenes to try and stop the name change, you really alienate yourselves from me. I've listened to very few Dodgers games since this name change thing started because I get so aggravated by the bush league way they have handled it.

The Dodgers won 18 pennants (1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1974, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1988) and 6 World Series (1955, 1953, 1963, 1965, 1981, 1988) by concentrating on being the Dodgers. They really need to go back to what made them great.
      Well said.
      "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
      -Vin Scully

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Dodger
        Good. And I hope they never will the year after. And the year after that, and the year after that, and so on...
        You tell 'em, Vic.

lol
        "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
        -Vin Scully

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Jaw
          So have the Angels during their first years as the LA Angels, early-mid 60's - then they had their state name. after that.
          But they never had "California" on their uniforms other than the C as part of the "CA" hat logo in the 60s and 90s.

Comment

Orange County has tried for the past what 40 years to be view not as LA and what the ANgels did most likely slapped the Orange County Angel fans in the face.

Do not forget Angel fans were chanting BEAT LA in 2004

Comment

The Angels don't need to put "LA" on their uniforms, they do however need to change their uniforms. Bring back the v-neck pullovers. Bring back the pants with elastic waistbands with the stripes. The Angels have never looked better than this. The Big A+!
              Attached Files
              The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Do you really need to bump a 6 year old thread for the sole purpose of posting the exact same thing you've posted in two different threads?

Desperate for attention much?
                I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                - Walt Whitman

Comment

I think they're holding the spot open so they can put their WS Champion patches on their sleeves for 2014 season.
                  "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                    Do you really need to bump a 6 year old thread for the sole purpose of posting the exact same thing you've posted in two different threads?

Desperate for attention much?
                    I have around 200 posts so far. You have replied to a good percentage of them. As far as I know the thread was unlocked and viable. Ask yourself this, do you want to look like Carew, a badass, or Maicier Izturis? The choice is yours.

Comment

Can you imagine Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, etc. wearing these uniforms? I can, and I know you can too. Big A+!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X