New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stadium

Why isn't it a domed stadium???? It's really really cold in Minnesota. I mean people there live in a climate that human beings aren't supposed to live in. I can't imagine what September baseball will be like there...let alone October baseball (do they plan on staying out of the playoffs?) But does anyone know why it isn't domed?
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Why isn't it a domed stadium???? It's really really cold in Minnesota. I mean people there live in a climate that human beings aren't supposed to live in. I can't imagine what September baseball will be like there...let alone October baseball (do they plan on staying out of the playoffs?) But does anyone know why it isn't domed?
    I take it you've never been to Minnesota?

The summer there is the best weather around, and nothing beats outdoor baseball, especially when you are forced to watch baseball in a dome meant for football since they closed Metropolitan Stadium to make room for the mall of america.

Minnesota isn't that much worse than Cleveland, Detroit, Boston, and New York in the fall so why is it such a shock to you? Minnesota isn't in Canadia.
    GO TWINS!

Comment

Unfortunately I have been to Minnesota, awesome shows and a few ball games, the reason why the summer is wonderful is because you can feel your fingers and toes. The reason why I say that the weather there is unbearable is because when you have to plug in your car every night to make sure it starts in the morning there's a tip. By the way Detroit sucks in the fall too...it was about to Snow there for the WS
      Last edited by ChrisLDuncan; 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM.
      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Comment

well that was luck. I'm sure it has snowed at Yankee Stadium before when a game was supose to be played.

Heck i know a place in Tenn. that got snow during their event - Bristol Motor Speedway in March got snow and the nextel cup qualfiying was rained out (in 2006)
        LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

Yes but it's a reasonable precaution to expect horrible Minnesota winters. I think that they should have gone with a retractable roof...that seems to be the trend.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
            Yes but it's a reasonable precaution to expect horrible Minnesota winters. I think that they should have gone with a retractable roof...that seems to be the trend.
            I was a little unsure about the retractable roof idea. Take milwaukee for example, I've been there for a couple games where the weather has been beautiful yet the roof is closed. I think that they are actually keeping the roof shut all year this season.

I would worry about something like that happening with the new twins ballpark.

The roof was also too expensive for the Twins and the city didn't want to help with the bill.
            GO TWINS!

Comment

Originally posted by FLAtwinsFan

The roof was also too expensive for the Twins and the city didn't want to help with the bill.

They'd rather watch baseball in ten degree weather? Plus there's other things that a venue that nice brings to the city besides baseball.

Comment

Minnesota watched all College Football, NFL Football, and Baseball outdoors before the Metrodome...

Its well worth weathering the cold for the luxury of watching outdoor baseball, especially after being cooped up in that poor excuse of a baseball dome since 1982.

What about Lambeau Field, they sell out, and have no problems with the winter.
                GO TWINS!

Comment

Originally posted by FLAtwinsFan
                  Minnesota watched all College Football, NFL Football, and Baseball outdoors before the Metrodome...

Its well worth weathering the cold for the luxury of watching outdoor baseball, especially after being cooped up in that poor excuse of a baseball dome since 1982.

What about Lambeau Field, they sell out, and have no problems with the winter.

It's a bit different with football that gives teams an advantage, I find it hard to believe that pitchers and hitters can get used to pitching and fielding in 20 degree weather.

Comment

The Twins played outside for 20+ years before the MetroDome was built. They didn't have a problem then, so why does someone who doesn't know Minnesota from Antarctica keep yammering on about it? Winter does not start in September up there nor does it last until June.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Well lets see, baseball is different now...pitchers struggle in the cold, for a team that's built on pitching it's awfully dumb to let them go cold in September. Comparing New York weather to Minnesota weather is just plain dumb. Here's NY's average temperatures.

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USNY0996_f.html

Minnesota

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USMN0503_f.html

Comment

I've wondered this same thing, why they are NOT building a retractable roof stadium. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Comment

Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
                          I've wondered this same thing, why they are NOT building a retractable roof stadium. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Yeah it gets pretty cold up there.

Comment

Because baseball is not meant to be played indoors. I hate domes.

Comment

Obviously you haven't spent a winter in Minnesota...when you're bundled up for ball games like you are at football games, there's a problem.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X