New Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Appreciating the architecture of a ballpark has nothing to do with wether or not it has a retractable stadium. That is just a certain feature that some stadiums do have and some don't.

Like some cars have 4 doors and some have 2 doors.

Well there are some places that pull it off and others that don't SafeCo isn't any less of a field because it has a retractable roof. There are some buildings that pull off not having a roof. Other parks I enjoy are Yankee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Camden Yards, PNC, and Commerica just to name a few.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

I would only be in favor of a retractable roof if it opened the stadium kind of like Minute Maid Park. I want to be able to see things outside. But, I think what would be best is just a long overhang. Fans will come. If it gets too cold, they can postpone the game just like in Detroit so there should be no worry. The Reds are playing in football weather this weekend and I plan on going to the game on Easter Sunday and I don't have a ticket yet. The only thing that would stop me from going is if they cancel the game.
      Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

You are asking the same question over and over again and the answer, several times given, is simple. Nobody wanted to pay for it.

It took many years for the politicians to figure out how to use taxpayer money to build it (eventually, they simply did it without letting people vote on it, since every previous vote, the citizens of Minnesota basically told Carl to spend part of his billions to build it himself.)

The one thing that has changed since the glory days is that all the playoffs now extend the season another 2 weeks or so. Game 7 of the 1965 World Series was played in Minnesota on October 14, for example. Game 7 of the 1987 World Series was played on October 25. Had it been necessary, Game 7 last year would've been played on October 30.

Yup that's winter jacket weather in Minnesota. But, so what? People in Minnesota can handle it and if teams from California have trouble with it, well, that's life.

Comment

Hear, hear, vendiamo!
          I can't wait to be out drinking beer and cheering on the Twins. If you ask any sports fan in Minnesota if they mind sitting outside in April (or October, for that matter) they'll tell you they don't mind. I go trick or treating with my kids every year, and thats the last day of October. People from warmer climes will have to plan around the "cold" season.

Look at the Vikings of yore and the Packers, the cold weather became an advantage.

Comment

new digs ?

Originally posted by Swede View Post
            Hear, hear, vendiamo!
            I can't wait to be out drinking beer and cheering on the Twins. If you ask any sports fan in Minnesota if they mind sitting outside in April (or October, for that matter) they'll tell you they don't mind. I go trick or treating with my kids every year, and thats the last day of October. People from warmer climes will have to plan around the "cold" season.

Look at the Vikings of yore and the Packers, the cold weather became an advantage.
            well in Detroit, for years, the LIONS played outside ,along with the Tigers
            in Briggs-Tiger stadium...Tigers still play OUTSIDE..which is good...better
            than a dome..in my opinion..

question being, when will the DOME be replaced ? and where will it be built ?

Comment

Too true, shouldn't have left out Detroit.... similar weather. As for the Metrodome, it will be the Vikings stadium. The Gophers Football team is breaking ground on a new stadium (Outdoors) and the Twins needed one outdoors to stay. There has been numerous proposals for a new Vikes complex (one location was Blaine, in the northern suburbs) but with two stadiums approved this year, people are sick of thinking about it.

The new Twins ballpark will be in Minneapolis not far from the Target Center where the T-wolves play. Bring your guns, you may need them.

Comment

i say shorten division championship series down to best of five. one day off between the second game. bah at tv scheduling, make it so the games are done by the third week of october. either that or pray to al gore.
                http://peterton.myminicity.com/

Comment

Minneapolis/St. Paul provides what is most likely the coldest climate for baseball, but I don't think it is that terrible, and playing outdoors in April in Minnesota can't be any worse than playing outdoors in Denver in April, can it? From April to October, the average high temperatures are:

April: 57
                  May: 70
                  June: 79
                  July: 83
                  August: 80
                  September: 71
                  October: 58

So the average high is at least 70 for 5/6 months of the regular season. Things might be a bit on the chilly side in early April and late October, but October is only a worry if the team gets that far, and the team could just schedule more day games early in the season.

At the very least, I think the early cool temperatures it could give some character to games played at the new park. Besides, I'd imagine that Twins fans rather sit outside on a few cold days and watch their team than have their team relocated or contracted.

Comment

with a dome, it wouldn't cast a shadow making it hard to see the ball for the hitters

Comment

i agree with a poster above, baseball ain't meant to be played indoors. i personally hate domes.

but the reason i posted is i wanted to know where i can find the proposed design for this stadium? is there a website were they have the design and pictures?

Comment

Hi Big Mac, there are many pics of the new Twins park at the Baseball Fever 'Ballparks' forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
                          They'd rather watch baseball in ten degree weather? Plus there's other things that a venue that nice brings to the city besides baseball.
                          Pohlad seats are VIP with warm weather included and that is what is important in the new stadium.
                          Players, fans, media? they can use double underwears.
                          You have to suffer a revolution to know what are you talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
                            Hi Big Mac, there are many pics of the new Twins park at the Baseball Fever 'Ballparks' forum.
                            thanks lafferty.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X