Joe Mauer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Mauer

I have some questions for Twins fans. Why doesn't Joe Mauer hit for more HR power? He's listed at 6'5" 220 lbs. He hit 6 home runs in just 35 games in '04. Is it his swing?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I remember Sox fans asking the same about Wade Boggs once. Maybe it's just what he is. Maybe the guy just is comfortable with his approach. It works for him and for the Twins and I wouldn't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      I have some questions for Twins fans. Why doesn't Joe Mauer hit for more HR power? He's listed at 6'5" 220 lbs. He hit 6 home runs in just 35 games in '04. Is it his swing?
      I'm sure it's more of a choice, kind of like what I heard with Ichiro. He would rather hit .330 than possibly sacrifice some of that average to hit more home runs. He also tends to hit the ball the other way a lot, a good thing, but not for home run hitting. He mght develop some power over the next two years and maybe hit 15 or so, but I doubt he'll ever get over 20, unless he gets moved over to third which seems very likely since the Twins don't have a solid third baseman and have another good young catcher in the minors.
      "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
      "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
      "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Oh and another thing -- his contact-first approach matches the Twins' speedy roster well. Get him up behind some of your higher-OBP speedsters and you can get some runs pretty quickly as the speedsters get into scoring position and Mauer finds the gaps behind them

Comment

Trade Mauer?

From a Red Sox thread

Debating on what you would have top give to get Mauer.

Buchholz, Elsbury and prospect Lars Anderson was one option the response below.

"We both said Bucholz.

They ( Minn ) need Anderson less then anyone except Yankees, They have Morneau who last year signed a 6 yr/80 mil extension. But I will give you a wash with Bowden, maybe. But they ( Minn ) need a pitching prospect who is close to be able to play and their top ones are A or AA.

They ( Minn ) have 6 catchers on their 40 man roster. Mauer, Redmond who is the best back up catcher in MLB and could start over 1/2 the catchers out there. Career .292 hitter, last 4 yrs for Minn hit .308. not much power but solid defensively. The other 4 catchers are 23-25 yrs old so they obviously have some talent there to have them on the 40 man roster.

Carlos Gomez is their Elsbury. Plus their top 3 prospects are OFers.

Bard gives them a MLB ready catcher for short money, Delcarmen a short money set up man and maybe 2 years from now closer to replace Nathan, or trade Nathan for value at ALL STAR break. Plus their choice 1 of 2 top rated pitching prospects. Minn only has 1 middle infield prospect, he is rated between 15th and 40th depending on the poll. Finally their choice of 1 of 3 top rated SS prospects. Would make much more sense and worth more then Elsbury alone.

I also stated that you would have to have a signed extension before I would give so much in return."

What do you Minn men think?
          What would it take to trade Mauer?

P. Clay Buchholz, C. Josh Bard, RP. Manny Delcarmen, P. Michael Bowden #1 pitching prospect should be able to make 2009 MLB roster, plus choice of 2 prospects a pitcher and a SS, a pitcher like Bryan Price or Kris Johnson and a SS like Argines Diaz, Yamaico Navarro or Oscar Tejada. All of whom are rated top 20 in Red Sox farm system.

That is a 6 for 1 deal, 2009 seems like a sure race for 2nd/3rd. Twins only pay MLB type money for 4 players, Mauer $5+ mil raise this year and next, Nathan $5+ mil raise next 3 years, Morneau a steal signed long term and Cuddyer goes to $6.75 mil this year and $8.5 mil next. If you trade Nathan and Cuddyer at All Star break think of the players you could get in return. Maybe a SS that could hit and replace Punto in a year. 2 quality young starters to replace Blackburn and Perkins, move them to the pen. Have almost $30 million extra to spend to fill any holes you have or to secure some younger guys and still be 20 million under 2007 payroll. You are not that far away and have a good base of players to make it happen. You are a handful of players away from having the strongest young team in baseball. Twins would have a team to compete for the next 5 or 6 years. Obviously your owner is not about to go out and pay the money to buy 3 or 4 type A free agents.

So, what would it take?

Comment

The Twins would be fools to accept Delcarmen & Josh Bard.

Mauer is a young, proven, elite major league catcher & the face of the franchise.

Buchholz & Bowden MIGHT get the Twins to start listening but the Sox would have to add much better talent to the package then Delcarmen & Bard.

Since I'm not a Twins fan, I don't know what your guys most pressing needs are. If I was the GM though, the conversation would start with Dustin Pedroia or I'm not listening.
            Last edited by PhenomJoba; 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhenomJoba View Post
              The Twins would be fools to accept Delcarmen & Josh Bard.

Mauer is a young, proven, elite major league catcher & the face of the franchise.

Buchholz & Bowden MIGHT get the Twins to start listening but the Sox would have to add much better talent to the package then Delcarmen & Bard.

Since I'm not a Twins fan, I don't know what your guys most pressing needs are. If I was the GM though, the conversation would start with Dustin Pedroia or I'm not listening.
              Fools? You admit you don't know their needs. Well first they would probably want a 1 year catcher cheap until one of their 4 catching prospects are ready. That's Bard! Delcarmen is going to be Closer very shortly and at 400k per year is 11 mil cheaper than Nathan. When they are 10 games back at the All Star break they could get huge value trading Nathan. If they happen to be still in the running they have a solid set up man. Delcarmen is probably more valuable then Buchholz. So why would that make them foolish?

What Minn needs I tried to spell it out in my last post. 2 starting Pitchers, a strong middle infield prospect, a set up man with the ability to fill in as a closer, a 1 year MLB catcher and another top pitching prospect never hurts.

And you want to start the conversation with last years MVP, who just signed a multi year deal. But why would the Twins want to sign one top player who they have to pay salary for for another one they would have to pay for. Twins have a $58 million dollar payroll. $40 of which is on 4 players. They would want young cheap players that they can add to fill the holes in their team. They are not your Yankees who can replace 3 guys at $50 mil with another 3 guy at $50 mil.

Comment

Don't kid yourselves, Mauer is untouchable. They're just about to move into a new stadium paid for (partially) by public money - they're not about to deal a guy who's a local legend and by far their most popular player. And by far the most popular sports figure in town.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynnfan View Post
                  Fools? You admit you don't know their needs. Well first they would probably want a 1 year catcher cheap until one of their 4 catching prospects are ready. That's Bard! Delcarmen is going to be Closer very shortly and at 400k per year is 11 mil cheaper than Nathan. When they are 10 games back at the All Star break they could get huge value trading Nathan. If they happen to be still in the running they have a solid set up man. Delcarmen is probably more valuable then Buchholz. So why would that make them foolish?

What Minn needs I tried to spell it out in my last post. 2 starting Pitchers, a strong middle infield prospect, a set up man with the ability to fill in as a closer, a 1 year MLB catcher and another top pitching prospect never hurts.

And you want to start the conversation with last years MVP, who just signed a multi year deal. But why would the Twins want to sign one top player who they have to pay salary for for another one they would have to pay for. Twins have a $58 million dollar payroll. $40 of which is on 4 players. They would want young cheap players that they can add to fill the holes in their team. They are not your Yankees who can replace 3 guys at $50 mil with another 3 guy at $50 mil.
                  We'll just have to agree to disagree then. You seem to be overvaluing the Boston package.

If you're trading Joe Mauer, you'd better be getting young, possible-to already-star ML talent in return.

Also, if we must get into finances, Pohlad was worth nearly $3Billion. I don't know who's inheriting the money (I assume his kids) but let's not pretend like your team is starving for cash. If you guys wanted to, you could get yourself & extend an impact player if you wanted to.

Comment

The reasons the Twins would be fools to take Bard and Delcarmen for Mauer is that they can get so much more. When you have a catcher who is young and one of the ten best offensive players in the league you don't settle for a backup catcher and a relief pitcher.

Bringing Pohlad's wealth into it is a non sequitur. No owner should have to reach into their personal wallet to pay players. Baseball expenses have to be covered by baseball revenues.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by mwiggins View Post
                      Don't kid yourselves, Mauer is untouchable. They're just about to move into a new stadium paid for (partially) by public money - they're not about to deal a guy who's a local legend and by far their most popular player. And by far the most popular sports figure in town.
                      I agree that Mauer and Morneau are there to stay. Just trying to throw out a logical, need based hypothetical. Some people think Tom Brady for the NE Patriots is going to get traded. Twins are the same team that traded Rod Carew. Ok, that's a bad example because of the situation why he got traded. I can think of a couple others, Eddie Murray, Reggie Jackson, even ARod, Texas wanted to get younger and cheaper. Lets not forget about the Hershel Walker trade.

Twins owner is uber-wealthy but notoriously cheap. Do you think 2 years from now that he is going to pay Mauer a contract like the one Teixeira got? So what does he do trade him during the first year the new stadium opens?

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                        The reasons the Twins would be fools to take Bard and Delcarmen for Mauer is that they can get so much more. When you have a catcher who is young and one of the ten best offensive players in the league you don't settle for a backup catcher and a relief pitcher.

Bringing Pohlad's wealth into it is a non sequitur. No owner should have to reach into their personal wallet to pay players. Baseball expenses have to be covered by baseball revenues.
                        If you reread my post there are 4 other players to go with those two. Buchholz and Bowden who both would make the Twins starting rotation this year and two other prospects.

Comment

I agree that Mauer and Morneau are there to stay. Just trying to throw out a logical, need based hypothetical. Some people think Tom Brady for the NE Patriots is going to get traded. Twins are the same team that traded Rod Carew. Ok, that's a bad example because of the situation why he got traded. I can think of a couple others, Eddie Murray, Reggie Jackson, even ARod, Texas wanted to get younger and cheaper. Lets not forget about the Hershel Walker trade.

Twins owner is uber-wealthy but notoriously cheap. Do you think 2 years from now that he is going to pay Mauer a contract like the one Teixeira got? So what does he do trade him during the first year the new stadium opens?
                          I don't think it would be such a bad idea to trade Mauer. . . . IF the Twins don't think he can stay at catcher.

Follow along, if they can trade a young all-star catcher for a young all-star at another position.

Mauer is an all-star because he is a catcher. If he can't catch and has to play 1st? I don't know, maybe Mark Grace?

That's the question the Twins need to ask, if he can't stay at C, can he move to 3B. If those are both no's, trade him now and max his value.

Comment

Well, since he took a pretty cheap contract a few years ago when he could have really driven up the price, I don't think he'd do it this time.
                            "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
                            "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
                            "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Originally posted by wu-tang clan View Post
                              Well, since he took a pretty cheap contract a few years ago when he could have really driven up the price, I don't think he'd do it this time.
                              Yes and his next 2 years are the big ones for Mauer, 23 mil out of the 33 mil is paid over the next 2 years.

They traded Johan Santana for 4 prospects. They were 10 games out in 2007 and did not trade Torii Hunter and finished 17 games back. I don't believe they even got a draft pick. I can't see them doing it again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X