Visiting the Metrodome Next Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting the Metrodome Next Summer

OK, it is time to start planning my yearly summer baseball trip. Every summer, I go to a special location to watch baseball (besides my "home" teams of the Reds, Indians, and Pirates). Last summer I had an awesome trip to NYC and Yankee + Shea Stadiums.

This year I have selected Minneapolis and the Metrodome mainly because I've never seen baseball completely indoors, and this is its last year.

I will be flying into Minneapolis and taking the train downtown and staying two days to catch two games. Is there anything I must see while I am there? Any locals want to give me tips on where to sit, what to eat, what not to miss, etc.? I would really appreciate it!
    :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Where to sit:
    Try to stay as close to the infield as possible. If you go to far down the baseline, your neck will hurt by the forth inning. The main scoreboard is straight out in left field, if that makes a difference to you. Get there a bit early and check out the plaza on the west side (next to the LRT station), it's not too bad for pre-game atmosphere. And since it's your first (and last) visit, find time to take a loop through the concourses, just to know what we've had to deal with all these years.

Most of the entertainment is in the warehouse district along 1st Ave, in the western edge of downtown. The light rail ends there, and the new ballpark is in the area too, so swing by and take a look at our upgrade - the exterior should be fairly complete by then.

Oh, and if you can predict the weather, try and go to a game on a beautiful 82ยบ summer day. @$%#^&$%'en dome!!
    There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgeboy View Post
      Where to sit:
      Try to stay as close to the infield as possible. If you go to far down the baseline, your neck will hurt by the forth inning.
      Try to imagine watching a Marlins home game. Same thing. Any seat with a straight view of the field will be great. I would recommend the "grandstand area" of either the 1st or 2nd deck; between 1st and 3rd base. Lower deck left field isn't too bad, really. But Wednesday nights are usually Dollar Dog or College ID nights, and the bleacher bums can be a little obnoxious from time to time.

If you don't mind walking around on a great night, you can walk to a few great bars in the downtown area (west of the Dome), or hit LRT for a great weekend night in the Warehouse District. I'm not sure of his schedule, but I am sure GB Leighton will be play SOMEWHERE.

Block E is great if you are under 26, and the Warehouse District also has a few...ahem...establishments for your Badda Bing. And for those looking for a magazine or movie of the adult kind, Lickety Split is ok I guess...But DON'T go to any of the bookstores on Hennepin Ave. Too Times Square 1982 for me.

The Mill City Museum (north and west about 4 blocks of the Dome) would be a fine place to hang out for some history. Though sadly, without the Dome, the lure of the Washington Avenue lofts and condos-if you're looking to live here-will be no more soon.

The Depot is a nice place to go for dinner as is JD Hoyts (far west side of downtown). Washington Ave is ripe with restaurants and is getting really trendy. Again without the lure of anything at the Dome in the summer of 2010, not sure how many people would be there.

Comment

Originally posted by NineWorldSeries View Post
        OK, it is time to start planning my yearly summer baseball trip. Every summer, I go to a special location to watch baseball (besides my "home" teams of the Reds, Indians, and Pirates). Last summer I had an awesome trip to NYC and Yankee + Shea Stadiums.

This year I have selected Minneapolis and the Metrodome mainly because I've never seen baseball completely indoors, and this is its last year.

I will be flying into Minneapolis and taking the train downtown and staying two days to catch two games. Is there anything I must see while I am there? Any locals want to give me tips on where to sit, what to eat, what not to miss, etc.? I would really appreciate it!
        Great idea to take the train, just know that it will be at least 20 minutes to get back on the train due to the huge lines, so get out of the game early if you don't want to wait. Although if you leave early, you won't get to experience the best part about the Dome, the one thing that I'll truly miss- after the game ends, the crew lowers the air pressure in the Dome, and as you're getting out of the revolving doors a huge wind pushes you forward. You are very smart for coming since this is the last time to experience the whooooosh in a Twins game. Just hold onto everything you have, like your hat, and remember, if you leave early you won't feel it.

Dome Dogs are delicious, $5 gets you that+chips. Even though the atmosphere is bad compared to other stadiums, the Dome has very good seating from pretty much every part, except for RF. I recommend lower deck along the 3rd baseline, since that's the visitor's dugout.

After you guys get beat by the first 162-0 team, hit up the MOA, LRT takes you right there.
        "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
        "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
        "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Our plane tickets are booked for June 20th and 21st against the Astros. I have tickets in the Upper deck behind home plate on the 20th and in the Home Run Porch on the 21st.

I'll be taking tons of pictures, I'm sure.

Is there anywhere else really great to eat downtown around the stadium?

Will I be hassled at all for wearing full Astros gear both days?

Comment

bump - I will be leaving early Saturday morning for Minnesota. Anyone have any more tips for me? The last few were greatly appreciated.

Where would you recommend to eat downtown?

Comment

What do you want to eat?

You will most definately not be harassed. And if you are, playfully.

Comment

I've heard good things about Famous Dave's BBQ... is this worth the trip out of downtown?

Comment

It's pretty good. Fun place, Uptown is a fun area.

I would suggest Matts Bar for the signature Jucy Lucy (which I want served at the new stadium), but you might get lost and isnt in a touristy area. Look into it if you want. That's my reccommendation.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X