Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Who is the Greatest Shortstop of the Metrodome Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Who is the Greatest Shortstop of the Metrodome Era?

Whether you are happy with Nick Punto as your starting shortstop for 2009, and I seem to be in the minority on that particular point, that’s another question for another time. For now we move on to the candidates.

The Twins haven’t exactly been blessed with an abundance of talent at short since 1982, but a pair of players were more than worthwhile — Greg Gagne and Cristian Guzman.

Both players found themselves under the Teflon Confines following trades involving Twins All-Star’s and the New York Yankees. Gagne was dealt for Roy Smalley Jr., while Guzman arrived in return for Chuck Knoblauch.

Both shorstops possessed speed, athleticism and strong arms. Gagne was the better defender. Guzman was the better hitter.

Much like any poll, the winner will be determined by what you hold most dear in your shortstops – leather or lumber.

So, who you got?
    Last edited by SouthPaw77; 02-08-2009, 05:07 PM.
    Check out my articles at Bugs & Cranks.

Guzzie was the ultimate waste of talent. Absolute cannon for an arm and speed like a sprinter who just hasn't quite been able to put it all together. For a while during his All Star season, I would have called him one of the best in baseball, but he just never quite could understand all he had to do was play small ball. Notice he doesn't run like he used to in Washington, now? He also isn't the same in the field. Bottom line: Gags has 2 rings. Advantage: Gagne.

Comment

Greg Gagne.

Really, it's no contest.
      "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X