Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins- new 3B

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...-one-year-deal

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - The Minnesota Twins finally made a big move.

After sitting idle for more than four months following a season in which they lost to the White Sox in a one-game playoff for the AL Central title, the Twins agreed to terms with free-agent third baseman Joe Crede on a one-year deal on Saturday.

Provided Crede's back holds up, he will fill a major need for the Twins as a power-hitting third baseman who also has a great glove.

The 30-year-old Crede has had two major back surgeries in the last two seasons. He hit .248 with 17 homers and 55 RBIs last season for the White Sox. But the All-Star played sparingly in the second half because of recurring back trouble, which limited him to 47 games in 2007.

"We've been looking for a corner guy. You always look to upgrade, see if you can get an impact player," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "I mean, we went into the spring looking for one and this is the guy. This is the guy that we talked about way, way back. This guy, if he's healthy, can do a lot of damage."

The Twins entered this spring having not made a single significant move to improve a team that lost to Crede's White Sox 1-0 in a one-game playoff for the division title.
    Interesting move. It doesn't say how much he signed for but a good addition overall. Should make the already heated Chisox matchups even more suspensful.

UPDATE: Base salary at $2.5 million, with incentives up to $7 million based upon plate appearances. The bonuses begin at 250 and end with $7 million at 525 PA. To make room for Crede, set-up man Pat Neshek was sent to the 60 day DL; he will be out for the season anyways due to Tommy John surgery. Nice, we didn't end up paying the 7-11 mil Boras wanted, and we didn't have to give up or demote someone. Good job Bill Smith!
    Last edited by wu-tang clan; 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM.
    "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
    "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
    "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Crede is sort of an enigma.

Offensively you will will get some big home runs, but he's not a very good baserunner and is prone to a lot of first pitch pop-ups which can sometimes be inning-killers.

Defensively, you're getting one of the best in the league at going to either direction. You'll get your errors, that's a given but he's going to make plays on just about every ball hit to his zone.

The one question mark is the back, it's real bad, I wonder how he'll react to the turf.
    Chicago White Sox :: Tampa Bay Rays :: Milwaukee Brewers
    www.blogtalkradio.com/643sports
    643 Sports LIVE Mondays 7pm CST/8pm EST

Comment

Originally posted by FedEx View Post
      Crede is sort of an enigma.

Offensively you will will get some big home runs, but he's not a very good baserunner and is prone to a lot of first pitch pop-ups which can sometimes be inning-killers.

Defensively, you're getting one of the best in the league at going to either direction. You'll get your errors, that's a given but he's going to make plays on just about every ball hit to his zone.

The one question mark is the back, it's real bad, I wonder how he'll react to the turf.
      I had the same reaction, I just don't see how he's going to stand up to that artificial surface night after night.

It's going to be hard to root against Joe Crede, he's a clutch hitter, and when he's healthy, he's as good a defensive 3rd baseman as I've ever seen, and I'm old enough to remember Brooks Robinson.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X