Twins sign Baker to a four-year deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins sign Baker to a four-year deal

The Twins signed opening day starter Scott Baker to a four-year, $15.25 million contract Saturday, with a $9.25 million club option for the 2013 season.

Baker, went 11-4 with a 3.45 ERA last season, with a team-high 141 strikeouts and only 42 walks in 28 starts, despite the fact he missed a month with a groin injury. In his four season, he’s 28-24 and has a 4.23 ERA.

Among fellow Twins starters Nick Blackburn, Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins and Kevin Slowey, Baker is the only one signed past this season, and at 27 it’s hard to imagine that he’s the oldest of the five starters. A second-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State by the Twins in 2003, Baker went into the seventh inning in 20 of his 28 starts. With questions surrounding the Twins bullpen that’s a huge thing for this team.

"I don't think in any way I'll ever regret this decision, whether I have great seasons or average seasons," Baker said.

With his 3.34-to-1 career strikeout-to-walk ratio, he reminds lots of Twins fans of Brad Radke, and may be the closest thing the Twins have to a big game pitcher.

"[The contract] was kind of a no-brainer," Baker said. "This is a place I enjoy being. My family loves Minneapolis. If you can't play for Gardy then something's wrong with you, and I work well with [Anderson], so I like what's going on here, and this is where I wanted to be.

His name had been brought up by other teams in previous teams in possible deals, but from the get go the Twins were not going to part with him. This is another in the list of key pre-opening day signings for the Twins and fans can only hope his decision to re-sign has a trickledown effect on others. Give the Twins organization credit for being patient with Baker, and continuing the trend of taking care of their own and keeping drafted talent in the organization.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2147-Minne...four-year-deal

Great signing. Baker still hasn't reached his potential, so to lock him up for four years cheaply is good. Great offseason Bill Smith
    "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
    "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
    "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Agreed. Nice to know it is safe to buy a Baker jersey!!! Now the other 4 starters...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X