Twins Predictions for 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins Predictions for 2009

Well, it's another season opener just around the corner...time for everyone to get in their "remember that I was the first to tell you..." moments.

Here are my predictions (some are less bold than others)...

...Delmon Young has a break out year. He won't be a threat for MVP or anything crazy like that, but he'll post 20-25 HR, 18-22 SB, .300-.310 AVG.

...Denard Span will have the fewest AB of the 4 OF in the rotation.

...Carlos Gomez will progress toward becoming a legitimate leadoff hitter by hitting ~.270 with an OBP in the ~.330 range. He'll steal 40+ bases and hit ~12 HR.

...Justin Morneau will hit >35 HR and carry a +.300 AVG and make another run a AL MVP.

...Joe Mauer will finally show some power despite lost playing time to injury. I expect 15+ HR.

...Joe Crede will remain healthy for the entire season (he'll receive plenty of days off to keep him healthy) and provides the Twins with some much needed power from the right side of the dish, 20-24 HR.

...Francisco Liriano has a fantastic season. 2.80-2.90 ERA, 200-210 IP, 185-200 K and 16-18 W.

...Kevin Slowey fits in nicely following Baker and Liriano with a 3.30-3.40 ERA and 13-16 W.

...The Twins put together another solid season and win the AL Central with 92 wins. I'm not sure that they have enough to make it out of the first round as there are some pretty loaded and experienced teams in the East and West, but I'll hope for the best!

Comment

- Slowey emerges as the best starter on the staff. 16-8 w/3.40 ERA in 200+ IP.

- Liriano continues to flash his potential, but continues to be inconsistent as he learns how to pitch without relying so much on the filthy slider he had pre-surgery. When he's right, he'll be the best starter on the team, but Slowey and Baker will remain the best reliable starters on the teams. 14-11 w/3.70 ERA.

- Young emerges as the best OF of the group, but is still seen as a "disappointment" by many fans. Hits 20 HR's, 30 2B's, with a .305 BA in 140 games.

- Kubel completes his return from his knee injury with 25 HR's and a .285 BA.

- Twins win 94 games.
      Last edited by mwiggins; 03-30-2009, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Express View Post
        Here are my predictions (some are less bold than others)...

...Delmon Young has a break out year. He won't be a threat for MVP or anything crazy like that, but he'll post 20-25 HR, 18-22 SB, .300-.310 AVG.

...Denard Span will have the fewest AB of the 4 OF in the rotation.

...Carlos Gomez will progress toward becoming a legitimate leadoff hitter by hitting ~.270 with an OBP in the ~.330 range. He'll steal 40+ bases and hit ~12 HR.

...Justin Morneau will hit >35 HR and carry a +.300 AVG and make another run a AL MVP.

...Joe Mauer will finally show some power despite lost playing time to injury. I expect 15+ HR.

...Joe Crede will remain healthy for the entire season (he'll receive plenty of days off to keep him healthy) and provides the Twins with some much needed power from the right side of the dish, 20-24 HR.

...Francisco Liriano has a fantastic season. 2.80-2.90 ERA, 200-210 IP, 185-200 K and 16-18 W.

...Kevin Slowey fits in nicely following Baker and Liriano with a 3.30-3.40 ERA and 13-16 W.

...The Twins put together another solid season and win the AL Central with 92 wins. I'm not sure that they have enough to make it out of the first round as there are some pretty loaded and experienced teams in the East and West, but I'll hope for the best!
        I always root for the Twins because of the way they go about their business despite the odds being stacked against them. Delmon Young - i'm not sold yet, but he definately will improve over last year. Agree on Gomez, he is an absolute stud. I disagree on Span though, i think he will play a huge part for this club. Agree on Liriano, this is second year after Tommy John, when the pitcher usually regains full form. Disagree on Crede though, dont know how healthy he is. Never will bet against the Twins but i see about 87 wins and right in the thick of the race.

G Man

Comment

Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
          I always root for the Twins because of the way they go about their business despite the odds being stacked against them. Delmon Young - i'm not sold yet, but he definately will improve over last year. Agree on Gomez, he is an absolute stud. I disagree on Span though, i think he will play a huge part for this club. Agree on Liriano, this is second year after Tommy John, when the pitcher usually regains full form. Disagree on Crede though, dont know how healthy he is. Never will bet against the Twins but i see about 87 wins and right in the thick of the race.

G Man
          I really think that Young will start putting up numbers - the pressure is off (he's viewed as a failure by most) and he's still young. I expect significant strides this year, but he's still 2-3 years away from being a star.

With my predictions of Young and Gomez coming on, someone has to sit and it comes down to Span and Cuddyer. I like Span, but I think Cuddyer's contract is going to earn him additional playing time. I don't expect to see much improvement from Span this season (for lack of a better term, call it a sophomore slump). I could be and I hope I am wrong as he's still young as well and the OF defense is one of the best in baseball with him a part of it.

I may be too optomistic on Crede, but I think if you go into the season seeing him as a 140 GP, 450 AB per year player (more like a catcher than an everyday player), you may get some solid production from him.

I agree with your statement that they go about their business the right way. I am a huge fan of the way this team operates (doesn't overspend and continues to identify and develop good young talent). I know more fans would like to see them spend more money, but I insist that spending more money on salaries means higher cost at the turnstiles. The Twins are still one of the best bargains in baseball when you consider that they are routinely competitive and the price is significantly more reasonable than that of other contenders (and even most non-contenders).

Comment

I really think that Young will start putting up numbers - the pressure is off (he's viewed as a failure by most) and he's still young. I expect significant strides this year, but he's still 2-3 years away from being a star.

With my predictions of Young and Gomez coming on, someone has to sit and it comes down to Span and Cuddyer. I like Span, but I think Cuddyer's contract is going to earn him additional playing time. I don't expect to see much improvement from Span this season (for lack of a better term, call it a sophomore slump). I could be and I hope I am wrong as he's still young as well and the OF defense is one of the best in baseball with him a part of it.

I may be too optomistic on Crede, but I think if you go into the season seeing him as a 140 GP, 450 AB per year player (more like a catcher than an everyday player), you may get some solid production from him.

I agree with your statement that they go about their business the right way. I am a huge fan of the way this team operates (doesn't overspend and continues to identify and develop good young talent). I know more fans would like to see them spend more money, but I insist that spending more money on salaries means higher cost at the turnstiles. The Twins are still one of the best bargains in baseball when you consider that they are routinely competitive and the price is significantly more reasonable than that of other contenders (and even most non-contenders).
            Completely agree with your last paragraph. Faced in an unfair system, they still are able to succeed which is a testament to everyone in the organization. Anyhow, i'm planning on making a trip up to see the HomerDome in its last year.

G Man

Comment

Predictions

-Span, Cuddyer, Gomez, and Young get most of the at bats at the three outfield spots and DH after Kubel gets injured.

-Young has his breakout season and is hitting in the third hole by the end of the year (moving Mauer to the two spot as he should).

-Both Mauer and Morneau draw 100 walks.

-The Twins lead the league in stolen bases and bunt hits because of all the playing time going to Punto, Gomez, Span, and Casilla.

-Creede hits at least 20 home runs in less than 120 games.

-Liriano has the season that makes the doubters stop doubting (180+ innings of effective pitching). As much as I'd love to see it, Colorado Express' predictions seem pretty aggressive.

-90 wins and in the thick of it.

Comment

ok. change that from mauer to span with 100 walks. the twins are way more patient this year.

Comment

I always like to revisit these threads near the end of the season...

8HR, 2SB, .268 AVG

Denard Span will have the fewest AB of the 4 OF in the rotation.
                  Third most at-bats on the entire team.

.235 AVG, .291OBP, 11SB (with 7CS), 3HR

Probably would have made it if not for his post all-star break health issues. :/

28HR!

90 Games Played, 15 HR, .225AVG

Francisco Liriano has a fantastic season. 2.80-2.90 ERA, 200-210 IP, 185-200 K and 16-18 W.
                  I'm not even going to look up the stats for this one... :dismay:

Kevin Slowey fits in nicely following Baker and Liriano with a 3.30-3.40 ERA and 13-16 W.
                  If not for injury I think he would have made it.

The Twins put together another solid season and win the AL Central with 92 wins.
                  Even if we win-out we'll be at just 84 wins.

Comment

I was right on target as usual...not!!!

Can't wait to make my predictions for next year!!! I KNOW that D.Young is going to have a break-out year in 2010!!! He may just hit 15 HRs!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X