Washington Senators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Senators

Hi Twins Fans: I live across the border but I frequent Twins games several times a year. One thing that has struck me as I walk around the Dome is the lack of reference to the Twins roots in Washington. Is this done by design and do the current Twins management and fans not care about their Washington roots? Granted, the Senators were never a great success, but they did have their moments and had some pretty good ballplayers such as Walter Johnson. Other teams make some effort to acknowledge their past; the Dodgers for example clearly acknowledge their ties back to Brooklyn. Maybe it's the name change (Senators to Twins) that breaks the linkage more. Now that I think about it, I don't know how much the Orioles connect with their St. Louis Browns days. Anyway, I see famous names around the Dome such as Killebrew and Oliva. Shouldn't Walter Johnson's name be up there too?
    Hack Wilson - He was built like a beer keg and was not unfamiliar with its contents.

Should be, but no, there's not much acknowledgement of the Senators. I heard their GM asked about that last week, in relation to the new ball park, and he said they are looking at doing something to acknowledge their pre-Minnesota past in the new ballpark, but that the focus will be on the Twins's history, not the Senators.

Locally the Twins are essentially viewed as an expansion team from the 1960's, not as a relocated team like the Dodgers or the Giants.

Comment

The Twins are viewed as Minnesota's team. The team may have come from Washington, but as far most Twins fans are concerned, the team became ours in 1961. Why would we want to celebrate something that happened thousands of miles away?

Comment

Originally posted by powderblue View Post
        The Twins are viewed as Minnesota's team. The team may have come from Washington, but as far most Twins fans are concerned, the team became ours in 1961. Why would we want to celebrate something that happened thousands of miles away?
        It's not so much celebrating it, but the team should at least acknowledge the entire history of the franchise. I mean, when the best pitcher who ever lived spent his whole career with your franchise, it might be worth noting.

The Twins have a much richer, longer history that teams like the Royals or the Rangers or the Mets or the Astros. For instance, Allison and Killebrew were homegrown players we signed and developed, the same as Hrbek and Puckett. Why treat them as players we got from some team in Washington in 1961?

Comment

FYI Bob Allison and Harmon Killebrew started their careers in Washington. They also played a few seasons in Senators uniforms before moving to Minnesota.
          The Twins first homegrown player IMO would be Tony Oliva

Comment

Originally posted by hartman74 View Post
            FYI Bob Allison and Harmon Killebrew started their careers in Washington. They also played a few seasons in Senators uniforms before moving to Minnesota.
            The Twins first homegrown player IMO would be Tony Oliva
            That's what I meant. Why treat Allison and Killer any different than Oliva just because they were signed by the Griffith's in the 50's rather than the 60's? All three players were signed and developed by the same organization. It's not like the '65 team was loaded with a bunch of players the Twins acquired in an expansion draft in 1961. The core of that team - Versalles, Killebrew, Allison, Oliva, Kaat - were players the team signed and developed just like the '87 team was built around players the team had drafted and developed like Gaetti, Hrbek, Puckett, and Viola.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X