Weekend from Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend from Hell

Derek Jeter was apt to say that “the ghosts will show up eventually” whenever New York was in need of some late-inning magic at the old yard, and damned if he wasn’t right most of the time.

And though the captain and his mates have moved into a new building this season, don’t allow yourself to be a fool. While the Babe and Gehrig and Joe D and the Mick may have never played an inning at this second coming of Yankee Stadium, the ghosts found their way across the street.

And they left three walk-off wins in their wake.

The Bombers may have been just 6-7 at home entering this series, but the Hall of Fame apparitions seem to have GPS, because the entire weekend was a nightmare for the Twins. One long, recurring, deja vu all over again nightmare.
    Check out my articles at Bugs & Cranks.

I do have to say, though, that the mighty Joe Mauer did his part to keep the ghosts in check. That play on Gardner in the bottom of the ninth showed why Mauer continues to be, one of, if not the most underrated player in the game. That was one of those throwback type plays you would expect to see when watching films of how the game "used to be played". He sometimes gets a portion of the credit he deserves for being a great hitter, but rarely the kudos he should be getting for his job behind the plate.

Comment

Yankees-Haters like myself all over the country are cursing the Twins today for being patsies and making the Yankees look good.

What a terrible managerial decision Friday night to bring in Nathan to close when he's pitched in the last three consecutive games. He had nothing!

The wind patterns at the Yankees new park have turned it into a modern version of Baker Bowl if little dweebs like Johnny Damon can reach the seats with much regularity.

Comment

We should have kept Dickey in for longer in the last game. He got into a pretty good groove, but with pitch counts and stuff Gardy replaced Dickey with Ayala, our worst reliever, when the game got closer and of course allowed a home run that won it 7-6 after a nice comeback. Neshek being out for 2 years has been killing us.
        "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
        "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
        "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
          I do have to say, though, that the mighty Joe Mauer did his part to keep the ghosts in check. That play on Gardner in the bottom of the ninth showed why Mauer continues to be, one of, if not the most underrated player in the game. That was one of those throwback type plays you would expect to see when watching films of how the game "used to be played". He sometimes gets a portion of the credit he deserves for being a great hitter, but rarely the kudos he should be getting for his job behind the plate.
          I understand that Mauer used to be a quarterback in HS or college, so that headfake thing was likely something second nature to him.

Still, great play from a great catcher.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
            I understand that Mauer used to be a quarterback in HS or college, so that headfake thing was likely something second nature to him.

Still, great play from a great catcher.
            Mauer was a highly recruited HS quarterback, who turned down a scholarship to play QB at Florida St. when he signed with the Twins. He won some sort of National High School Quarterback of the Year, as well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X