Greatest Twins' team ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honus Wagner Rules
    started a topic Greatest Twins' team ever?

Greatest Twins' team ever?

I wanted to ask Twins fans what Twins team is considered the greatest? 1965? 1969-70? 1987? 1991? Some other team?

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Wow, someone finally argues for the 1965 team.

Leave a comment:

• pheasant
    replied
    I have the 1965 team just edging out the 1991 team. The lineup in 1965 was much stronger than the 1991 team. I'll give the 1991 a slight edge in pitching. Granted, the 1991 team won the Series. But it's hard to penalize the 1965 squad for taking the mighty Dodgers to a 7th game in the WS. That 1965 Dodgers team with Koufax and Drysdale was very tough. Koufax only gave up 1 earned run in 3 starts, which includes a 4 hit shutout in game 5 and a 3 hit shutout in game 7.

Leave a comment:

• doctor_gogol
    replied
    2010 is right up there. Look at what they've accomplished with one of their staple hitters on the DL.

But, I'll reserve my judgement for after the playoffs/world series. If they can take the series this year, their 2nd half performance would arguably make them the best Twins team ever.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I thought the Whitesox had some injuries but our injuries are nothing compared to the players the Twins lost. It s amazing how the Twins kept winning without such key players. Its funny because now say if the Twins do win the World series, with all the injuries it would be hard to pick this team as the best Twins team ever or least if you look at this team on paper you wouldnt think its the best team, but this team has alot of heart and grit or something because i dont know how they did it. If i was a Twins fan I would say this would have to be my Favorite team. The Twins minor leagues must be run by bootcamp instucters because they just hammer fundamentals into all thier players.

Leave a comment:

• wu-tang clan
    replied
    I think this team could have easily been one of the three best in club history if Morneau and Nathan hadn't have gotten banged up and missed so many games- just think how much better Morneau's, who was having a career year and was in the top 3 in hitting stats across the board at the time of injury, bat would have been in place of Jason Kubel. Because of the many injuries though, a lot of guys stepped up and played better because of them. Cuddyer learning first base, Danny Valcencia's amazing year, Jim Thome's prescence, and Delmon Young's surge during the summer contributed to this success. They only have 92 wins with 5 to go, but they haven't really been fielding their best team over the past week and have now lost five in a row, ruining any shot they had at breaking 100 wins. Hitting-wise, this is up there with any Twins team in history. Pitching is another story, but they're doing okay thanks in large part to Carl Pavano and Jesse Crain. I just hope we don't have to face NY in the first round, but if we do, at least we will have home-field advantage.
    Last edited by wu-tang clan; 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StrawberryField
    replied
    The greatest team in Twins history has to include Kirby Puckett, so I choose 1991. When I think great Twins moments I think Pucket going vertical on plexiglass, Puckett smacking up Liebrandt, Hrbeck lifting a guy up off first base, Jack Morris pitching the most clutch, unbelievable game I will ever see.

Leave a comment:

• jimijr
    replied
    How to define "Greatest"? The best-loved team surely was 1987 when they captured the heart of Minnesota. As a result of that team, in 1988 they set an all-time attendance record, over 3 million. That record has just been broken this year, almost 25 years later.

Greatness in baseball means getting to the World Series. Right? In '65 we lost Game 7; won Game 7 in '87 and won Game 7 in '91. Since only one game separates these teams, on the face of it you'd pick '65 which won 102 in the regular season. Too bad for me, I did not have a chance to watch the '65 Twins.

I did follow the '91 Twins, every game. That team was really first-rate. They could beat you 1-0 or 12-10. They caught the ball, committing very few errors. They hit the ball and they could throw the ball, too. When a guy like Scott Erikson wins 20 games, you are looking at an excellent fielding and timely hitting ball club!

They topped it off with a tremendously exciting Series. Just remember Game 6, with The Catch and The Homer, Kirby's great display of his wonderful skills. Then Game 7...the 7th inning...deking Lonnie Smith...Hrbie getting the out at first...Morris pitching into the 10th...Gladden's dome-bounce double and getting sacked in for the game's only run.

And yet, the '87 team was such loveable underdogs. They won just 85 games, 55 at home. They were out-scored during the regular season. Bert Blyleven giving a hot-foot in the dugout. Their great outfield. They had talent, they had soul, they had a lot of fun! They get my vote!
    Last edited by jimijr; 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark View Post
    --I think the 69-70 teams were better than any of the pennant winners. They just weren't as good as the 69-70 Orioles. The Twins have never fielded an all time great team though.
    I gotta say i never realized how many good teams the Twins have had throughout the years, every decade they had good teams with outstanding records, the funny thing is the Twins worst two decades prob would be the 80s and 90s but those are the decades they won a World Series.I forgot about them in 69 and 70 but they won 97 and 98 games in those two years. During the 70 s they had 6 seasons with 500 or better records. Jeez how in the heck did Selig think this was a bad franchise. Boy Selig really wanted to corner the market for Milwaukee. Yeah your right tho the Twins really never had a alltime great team but if i would pick one now for best team maybe i would go with the 65 Twins because they did have some big name players but like somebody said in a earlier post Killebrew was injured and allison was kinda off his game that year but there pitching was outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• BigRon
    replied
    The 65 team was very good, I think better than any of their other pennant winners. Oliva was still healthy and was an outstanding hitter. Jimmie Hall was every good in CF. Bob Allison had terrific power, though 65 wasn't one of his top seasons. Battey had his last good year. Mincher provided a lot of power at 1B when Killebrew got hurt. Killebrew missed about 50 games- he got hurt in th All Star game- but otherwise had a very strong season. Versalles had his once in a lifetime season.

THeir starting pitching was really solid- Grant and Kaat were excellent, Jim Perry pitched well, and so did Pascual. Worthington and Klippstein were excellent in the bullpen.

They gave the Dodgers all they could handle in the Series- only the greatness of Sandy Koufax beat them.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    --I think the 69-70 teams were better than any of the pennant winners. They just weren't as good as the 69-70 Orioles. The Twins have never fielded an all time great team though.

Leave a comment:

• palehosery
    replied
    I dont know, my gut say they will repeat there usual demise in the first round. the 2000's have not been kind to the Twinkies. But they are a strong team, maybe the odds dont play out. Hats off to the Twins, as much as I hate them you gotta respect good baseball.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    i hope they get home field advantage in the playoffs otherwise i think the yankees s will kill em in yankee stadium--there like the whitesox in minnesotta there, but i hope they do well in the playoffs although i still hate the twins-its tough to pick the twins best year that 1965 team was pretty good, i liked bobby allison alot but if they win it this year im picking 2010 otherwise i would go with the 65 team. well looking the 91 team and 65 team i would go with the 91 team.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    If the Twins go 9-2 in their final 11 games they'll have the franchise's second 100-win season.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    I'm amazed that the 1965 team gets no love? :ooo:

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X