Freddy Sanchez to Twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddy Sanchez to Twins?

According to my sources, the Twins are trying to acquire infielder Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates. The Pirates are "pushing" for a deal, taking a look at all offers, including offers from the Twins, Cubs, and Rockies. Sanchez would most likely be used off the bench or at second. So, questions arise. Do we need/want Sanchez? What would/should we give up for him?

Why do you believe Sanchez would be used off the bench? He would fill a definite need that the Twins have at second base. The only big question is what would it cost the club to acquire him?

Comment

I'd love to have Sanchez, but what's the point? The Twins should be sellers at the break, not buyers. Sanchez alone isn't going to get them over the hump. Sanchez and Halladay might, but we all know they aren't going to go down that road.

Comment

While it's true that at this point they are in dire need of any starter besides Blackburn who can hold the other team to under 4 1/2 runs per game, having someone at second base who can hit above .200 wouldn't be bad either. Keep in mind that they are still only 4 games out of first in their division.

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
          While it's true that at this point they are in dire need of any starter besides Blackburn who can hold the other team to under 4 1/2 runs per game, having someone at second base who can hit above .200 wouldn't be bad either. Keep in mind that they are still only 4 games out of first in their division.
          But would Sanchez make them better than Boston, or close enough to have a resonable shot against them in the playoffs? Sanchez isn't going to make them a legitimate contender. And the Twins farm system isn't exactly loaded with top prospects right now.

Now, if they could get him for Young and somebody like Phil Humber, that would be a different story.

Comment

I would be happy to have him on the team. He would be a huge help. I'm just afraid to know what we would have to give up to get him.

Comment

Sanchez would be a great addition, we need consistency in the middle infield and he would bring it. I need to know more details about the asking price, but for the right cost it would be awesome to have the 2006 AL and NL batting champs on one team.
              "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
              "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
              "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

But that would require Bill Smith to actually make a move. He is worse than Terry Ryan (which I didn't think was possible).
                "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

Mark grudzielanek!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMustReign View Post
                    But that would require Bill Smith to actually make a move. He is worse than Terry Ryan (which I didn't think was possible).
                    Huh??? I hardly think "worse than Terry Ryan" is an insult to a GM. That label would apply to most GM's in the majors right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mwiggins View Post
                      Huh??? I hardly think "worse than Terry Ryan" is an insult to a GM. That label would apply to most GM's in the majors right now.
                      Terry Ryan had his strengths. Namely plucking players from other people's systems. And he put together a strong foundation for a club, but he had faults.

Here is a list of players that he acquired to try to fill holes with the club when there was a clear foundation for winning in place 2005-2007:

Bret Boone
                      Phil Nevin
                      Tony Batista
                      Ruben Sierra
                      Sidney Ponson
                      Ramon Ortiz
                      Jeff Cirillo

Ouch. Not to mention giving away Castillo for nothing leading to arguably the Twins biggest hole currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
                        Terry Ryan had his strengths. Namely plucking players from other people's systems. And he put together a strong foundation for a club, but he had faults.

Here is a list of players that he acquired to try to fill holes with the club when there was a clear foundation for winning in place 2005-2007:

Bret Boone
                        Phil Nevin
                        Tony Batista
                        Ruben Sierra
                        Sidney Ponson
                        Ramon Ortiz
                        Jeff Cirillo

Ouch. Not to mention giving away Castillo for nothing leading to arguably the Twins biggest hole currently.
                        It's hard for me to hold him that responsible for those guys given the budgets he was working under. He was forced to take gambles on cheap players, much like Crede this year. Signing FA's was his weak spot, but it's hard to judge him on that given how cheap Polad was.

And Castillo would be an upgrade this year, but Casilla was a much better player last year. It looks like a bad trade now, but if you'd told me in March that you'd rather have Castillo back at 2B, I'd have laughed at you.

But the Twins under his watch drafted very well (Morneau in the 3rd, Kubel in the 12th, Mauer over Prior, Blackburn in the 29th, ect), won a lot with low payrolls, and make some excellent trades (Stewart, Nathan/Liriano), and he found the best pitcher of his generation in the Rule 5 draft.

Comment

But he was a scared little kitty when it came to trades in mid-season. When he needed to better the team, he only even tried one season (Stewart). Bill Smith has yet to even try to make the team better. Trade Casilla, Cuddyer and a prospect for Sanchez.
                          "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

But he was a scared little kitty when it came to trades in mid-season. When he needed to better the team, he only even tried one season (Stewart). Bill Smith has yet to even try to make the team better. Trade Casilla, Cuddyer and a prospect for Sanchez.
                            Mid-season trades rarely make sense, esp. for a team that lives and dies with it's prospects like the Twins.

And if the idea is to win this year, why trade Cuddy for Sanchez? Cuddy's outhitting him this year, in a better league, and losing your best RH bat would negate the advantage of adding another RH bat in Sanchez. Then you've got a hole in RF that forces you to play Young much more often, and Cuddy to Young is a HUGE downgrade, both offensively and defensively.

The Twins have only 5 quality hitters in their lineup. If they're going to make a move, they need to add another quality bat, not just swap one of their good hitters for another good hitter.

And why would Pittsburgh deal Sanchez for a guy making more money? They aren't going to deal Sanchez, take on more salary, and only get one prospect for their trouble. Esp when the Twins best prospects happen to play the same position as McCutchen.

Now, if you could trade Ramos and Young for Sanchez, that would seem to make a lot of sense.
                            Last edited by mwiggins; 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Boom. Not true. That's exactly what Nevin and Boone were!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X