Freddy Sanchez to Twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwiggins View Post
    And Castillo would be an upgrade this year, but Casilla was a much better player last year. It looks like a bad trade now, but if you'd told me in March that you'd rather have Castillo back at 2B, I'd have laughed at you.
    What made it terrible wasn't looking forward. It was at the time, the Twins were just going along, about .500 club and then Ryan waved the white flag to the team by trading Castillo for nothing. It was a minor salary dump and was ill conceived.

Comment

Originally posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
      What made it terrible wasn't looking forward. It was at the time, the Twins were just going along, about .500 club and then Ryan waved the white flag to the team by trading Castillo for nothing. It was a minor salary dump and was ill conceived.
      But with our without Castillo they weren't going to do anything in '07. Santana, Mauer, and Morneau were all having off years, and they were going to lose Castillo at the end of the season anyway.

Ideally, they should have resigned Castillo to an extention, but that's more on the owner than Ryan. And they should have tried to deal Hunter and Santana at the break. Though given that they probably got more for Hunter (Hunt & Gutierrez) than they did for Santana, maybe Ryan was right to hold on to both of them.

And don't forget, Ryan was the guy who traded basically nothing for Castillo in the first place, giving that '06 team a huge upgrade over Punto.
      Last edited by mwiggins; 07-22-2009, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Yeah. I don't mean to call Ryan a worthless GM. He was doing a fine job. But then I just think he lost interest towards the end. I wasn't at all upset to see him step down.

Until I saw what a terrible executive Bill Smith has been. FIRE BILL SMITH!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
          Yeah. I don't mean to call Ryan a worthless GM. He was doing a fine job. But then I just think he lost interest towards the end. I wasn't at all upset to see him step down.

Until I saw what a terrible executive Bill Smith has been. FIRE BILL SMITH!!!!!
          I agree that his performance in '07 was subpar. Both in getting nothing for Castillo and in not seemingly even trying to do anything with Hunter and Santana.

But yeah, Smith has been a bust so far. I heard one of the guys on the Twins flagship station defending him Monday, saying that nobody thought the Young-Garza deal was a bad one at the time. Are you serious!?!? I don't think anyone could have forseen Bartlett being so good, but giving up your best starting pitching prospect, and a potential #1 starter, for an overrated prospect who can't play defense and who's a headcase had disaster written all over it. Just because Young drove in 93 runs in 2007 does not mean he has a good year. He was barely a replacement level player that year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X