The end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end?

Is this the beginning of the end or the middle of the season's end...for the Twins?

This 4 game series with the Angels will determine how the rest of the season will go. Torii Hunter is injured, and we need to take advantage of that. Mauer getting out of his slump is necessary and will be a catalyst for the rest of the team to stop playing at a .500 level. Minimum, we need to at least split but if we get swept or go 1-3 I don't see us winning the crucial upcoming series vs. Chicago. So, if the Twins lose this series, then yes, our season will most likely be over.
    "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
    "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
    "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

The beginning of the end was when it became apparent back in April that Liriano was not close to being what he was pre-surgery.

Comment

I agree with wu-tang. The LA series will be crucial to our success.

In the Vinci Winners bag:
        Vinci PJV16 and Vinci PJV55
        Vinci #5 and Bones

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty Kaat View Post
          Is this the beginning of the end or the middle of the season's end...for the Twins?
          That's a good question coming on the heels of yesterday's 16-1 triple-blow out of the Twins by the Athletics in Oakland.

In the 109 year history of the American League there have only been 28 games that have ended with the highly improbable final score of 16-1.

The Twins are now only the second American League franchise to lose a game 16-1 on five different occasions, matching the Orioles franchise who have also lost five 16-1 games.

Granted, only 3 of those mega-blowouts occurred while the team was still playing in Washington as the original Senators team.

Ironically enough the Orioles franchise has one lone 16-1 victory to their credit, on August 7, 1922 while they were playing in St. Louis as the Browns against... the Washington Senators, making that the first of their five 16-1 franchise losses!

Below are all five of the Twins franchise 16-1 losses.

(1) 8/7/22 @ St. Louis
          (2) 8/16/38 1st-DH vs. New York
          (3) 5/29/42 @ New York
          (4) 6/9/64 @ Detroit
          (5) 7/22/09 @ Oakland

They're gonna have to wear this one for a looooonnng time!
          Last edited by Bowler Bob in Brisbane; 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bowler Bob in Brisbane View Post
            They're gonna have to wear this one for a looooonnng time!
            Let's hope they wear this for a LLOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time!

In the Vinci Winners bag:
            Vinci PJV16 and Vinci PJV55
            Vinci #5 and Bones

Comment

Luckily for us, Chicago and Detroit were playing each other while we lost the series 3-1; the Twins are still only 4 behind Detroit. We need a sweep of Chicago, 3 straight games of solid pitching, to really get back in it. I don't see us coming close to the playoffs if we keep playing like this.

Comment

Originally posted by wu-tang clan View Post
                Luckily for us, Chicago and Detroit were playing each other while we lost the series 3-1; the Twins are still only 4 behind Detroit. We need a sweep of Chicago, 3 straight games of solid pitching, to really get back in it. I don't see us coming close to the playoffs if we keep playing like this.
                This is depressing baseball.

Comment

Ok game last night, we needed a lot of help from Konerko (2 crucial errors and 1 later on for a total of 3!) to pull even at 50-50. Cuddy hit a shot to straight center when we really needed it and the pitching was solid from Perkins despite the two homers. Detroit also lost last night, so we're only 3 back now. I heard something like ever since the Wild Card format came into play, no team that's won 95 games or more has missed the playoffs, so we would need to go 45-17 to guarantee a spot in the postseason... those are some 2006 numbers right there.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X