Beat the Yankees !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleMustReign View Post
    They never really got players that had as much success as Pavano and Raush either, other than Shannon Stewart.
    But those were all midseason acquisitions. Over the last five or so years have we had any free agent signings that haven't been complete disappointments?

Rondell White, Tony Batista, Juan Castro, Ruben Sierra, Ramon Ortiz, Sidney Ponson, Mike Lamb, Craig Monroe, Adam Everett, Livan Hernandez, and I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to include Joe Crede in this category as well.

Comment

Originally posted by insanefishpossay View Post
      but those were all midseason acquisitions. Over the last five or so years have we had any free agent signings that haven't been complete disappointments?

Rondell white, tony batista, juan castro, ruben sierra, ramon ortiz, sidney ponson, mike lamb, craig monroe, adam everett, livan hernandez, and i don't think it'd be much of a stretch to include joe crede in this category as well.
      mike redmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by insanefishpossay View Post
        But those were all midseason acquisitions. Over the last five or so years have we had any free agent signings that haven't been complete disappointments?

Rondell White, Tony Batista, Juan Castro, Ruben Sierra, Ramon Ortiz, Sidney Ponson, Mike Lamb, Craig Monroe, Adam Everett, Livan Hernandez, and I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to include Joe Crede in this category as well.

I see what you mean. And yes, I would include Joe Crede in that category. I can not think of any offseason signings that have worked out. Then again, they haven't really tried either.
        "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
          More appropriately, that call was the worst since 1996 involving a young boy named Jeff Maier. These both went the way of the Yankees. Coincidence?

A bit late but...

Re: Jeffrey Maier

It was Game 1, not Game 7 and it wasn't a GW HR. Jeter's "Homerun" tied the game in the 8th. It didn't win the game. Was it a bad call? A terrible call.
          The O's still had plenty of opportunities to win the game and the series.

IMO, those that use Jeffrey Maier are merely making excuses. Same with Steve Bartman. The Cubs let the incident take them out of the game completely and they then went into "here we go again" and finally "woe is me" mode to lose the series.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            A bit late but...

Re: Jeffrey Maier

It was Game 1, not Game 7 and it wasn't a GW HR. Jeter's "Homerun" tied the game in the 8th. It didn't win the game. Was it a bad call? A terrible call.
            The O's still had plenty of opportunities to win the game and the series.

IMO, those that use Jeffrey Maier are merely making excuses. Same with Steve Bartman. The Cubs let the incident take them out of the game completely and they then went into "here we go again" and finally "woe is me" mode to lose the series.
            What is there about Game 1 HRs that take the sails out of the opposing team or the fans? Kirk Gibson's shot off Dennis Eckersley was also in Game 1, and I understand that it was his only AB that WS. Was it his coming off the bench (he was injured for part of the season), or that pumping thing he did with his arms as he rounded the bases?

To me, it's 1 game out of 7. Any team that gets so fazed that this thows them totally off their game the rest of the way, likely didn't have much business being there in the first place. You came play, you came to win. A thick skin, concentration and a lack of mental mistakes all help to get that win.

Pitching, defense, timely hitting, avoiding strikeouts, DPs, advancing the runners, and avoiding bone-headed plays have all been rumored to win ballgames, for those actually focused on this, rather than playing the blame game.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
              IMO, those that use Jeffrey Maier are merely making excuses. Same with Steve Bartman.
              Comparing the two is ridiculous. One turned a fly ball into a tie ALCS game. The other turned a flyball into a strike with a 3 run lead. Jeffrey Mair was an awful call. Amongst the worst ever. Amongst the most important ever.

Also, I like how Derek Jeter to this days gets clutch points for hitting it two feet short of the wall. :-)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X