Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason thread

Now that the Twins got swept by the Yanks, I think it's a great time to evaluate the roster. These are what I think are our biggest priorities:

1. Pay Joe Mauer as soon as possible. I do not want another situation like with Johan.
    2. Outfield- Cuddyer and Span are the only two I would consider to be starters next year (Kubel too if he's not DHing). Decide whether or not to hang on to Young or Gomez/sign a free agent/ promote Ben Revere or Aaron Hicks.
    3. Resign a few of the players we obtained during the season- I don't know much about the contracts, but it would be great to hang on to John Rauch, Orlando Cabrera if he's not a Type A free agent, Carl Pavano, etc.
    4. Sign Miguel Angel Sano. He looks like he's 40 but he's apparently amazing at the game of baseball.
    "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
    "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
    "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

I agree that we should try and lock up Mauer, but I just can't see him wanting to stick around. For the sake of this discussion I'll agree.

-Throw whatever Mauer wants at him. Try as hard as you can to get his name on the contract.

-Get rid of Nathan. Last two years he's worn down at the end of the season. the Phillies need a closer, see what they have to offer in the way of big league talent for him. It's very important that we get a big league player for him and not prospects. If Mauer is going to stay we need to put together a winner.

-Sign some pitching. Pavano seemed to slot in nicely, so we should keep him. I'd say go for a guy like Erik Bedard or Rich Harden. I know the Twins have a history of failing with their free agent pitchers, but the rotation needs something.

-Middle Infield. We need something we can count on up the middle. Cabrera was a Type A, so the Twins will let him go.

We are a first round and done team that loves to live up to its small market label. I think all small market means anymore is not New York, Chicago, or LA. With that said we need to spend money. We can't expect to win spending a third of what the Yankees are spending. With the new stadium set to pump in several million dollars of new money, I think the Pohlads have to spend a little more of it. I'd like to see the payroll move up to the 90 to 100 million dollar range. I know that's huge for us here in Minnesota, but it has to be done to show to the fans who just helped pay for your new home that you appreciate them.
    http://peterton.myminicity.com/

Comment

Originally posted by placount View Post
      -Get rid of Nathan. Last two years he's worn down at the end of the season. the Phillies need a closer, see what they have to offer in the way of big league talent for him. It's very important that we get a big league player for him and not prospects. If Mauer is going to stay we need to put together a winner.
      This I can honestly agree with. He was doing amazing until September, when every time he came up to pitch I was worried- same thing with Mijares. Packaging Morneau, Nathan, and either Gomez/Young isn't a terrible idea either, Morneau is very good but had an off year and we can get maximum value right now. Cuddy seemed to play well at first, and this would open up a spot in the outfield for Aaron Hicks. Obviously it would suck to lose Morneau but it would also free up a lot of money to pay either Mauer or the player we got for Morneau. This team's biggest need is an ace, we had two and we lost both, one to free agency (I don't consider that really a trade) and the other to injury.

Comment

I actually have seen something in Young this last two months and wouldn't mind keeping him around. If he could hit .270 with 20 home runs I would take it.

Comment

1. Trade Nathan - Still good, but overpaid. He's worth $11+ million a year if he's one of the 2 or 3 best closers in baseball. But he seems to have slipped somewhat last year. Love to have him, but not with that contract.

2. Sign Pavano - I can roll with a rotation of Baker, Blackburn, Slowey, Pavano, and Duensing/Lirano/Perkins next year. After his horrible start, Baker pitched like an ace. Slowey is a solid back of the rotation innings eater. Blackburn's ceiling is limited, but he's the best big game pitcher they have. Pavano has the stuff to be a good #2, and he seemed to fit in well with the team.

3. Find a good/great defensive shortstop. We've got plenty of offense with Mauer, Kubel, Cuddy, Morneau, and Span. The defense is sure handed, but lacks range at most positions. Not a good thing to pair with a pitching staff that mostly pitches to contact. I can live with a slick glove at SS who hits .220.

4. Resign Mauer before spring training.

5. Resign Mauer before spring training.

Comment

You really think our offense is good enough to score more than 4.5 runs a game. You're essentially saying we shouldn't change our starting pitching, a group that had an era in the mid 4's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/...=true&type=std

I really don't think that's going to cut it in a division where Verlander, Peavy, Greinke and Buehrle pitch. We just barely eeked out the division this year. Our competition is bound to get better, so we need to improve as well.

Comment

You really think our offense is good enough to score more than 4.5 runs a game. .
              Yes. They scored 5 runs a game in 2009. And that was without Morneau for essentially close to half the season, with Young getting 416 plate appearances, with Gomez getting 349 plate appearances, and Cassila getting 256 plate appearances.

You're essentially saying we shouldn't change our starting pitching, a group that had an era in the mid 4's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/...=true&type=std

I really don't think that's going to cut it in a division where Verlander, Peavy, Greinke and Buehrle pitch. We just barely eeked out the division this year. Our competition is bound to get better, so we need to improve as well
              Nope, I'm not saying that at all. Manship, Swarzak, Liriano, and Perkins should not get 36% of our starts next year. Having Slowey and Pavano for a full season should be a major upgrade. And Baker shouldn't start out so terrible two years in a row. After his awful start he was one of the best starters in the AL.

Sure, they don't have a Verlander or a Greinke - but nobody else in the division has a position player like Mauer either. Heck, you can easily make the case nobody else in the division has a hitter as good as Morneau either.

If you could get a Verlander or Greinke type ace, then they should go for it. But those guys are usually well outside the Twins payroll limits.

You never know how things will turn out, but I think a rotation of:

1. Baker
              2. Blackburn
              3. Pavano
              4. Slowey
              5. Duensing

is good enough to win the Central. Especially if they improve the defense.

Comment

Fair enough. I don't buy the Baker argument, I think he's the fifth starter on any other team, but I'll put that to rest.

I think you value Morneau a little high. I think Miguel Cabrera is a better hitter than him, and aside from the MVP year he hasn't allowed me to expect anything more than about .295 30-35 home runs and maybe 110 rbi. Those aren't magical numbers, they're good, all star even, but not better than what the stars on other teams in the division have to offer. I do however think that Delmon can be a good player. Coming down the stretch I felt very comfortable whenever he came to the plate.

Here's what Reusse had to say about the team's needs:

1. Make sure Carlos Gomez has a complete list of housing options in Rochester, N.Y., so that he will be comfortable while spending the 2010 season as the Red Wings' starting center fielder.
                2. Get out from under the last half of Nathan's large contract (two years, $22.5 million) by trading him. The Cubs might take him.
                3. The way the Twins treat a closer, it's the easiest job in baseball. Eddie Guardado did it successfully with a slider that broke two inches. With Nathan gone, tell Jose Mijares to show up in shape and he gets the first shot.
                And who knows? You might have funky Pat Neshek back as the righthanded half of a closing duo.
                4. Speaking of shape: Tell Francisco Liriano to show up 15 pounds lighter in Florida to demonstrate a renewed commitment to pitching, or suggest that he rent the other half of the duplex occupied by Gomez in Rochester.
                5. Don't spend any money at third base. Give every inning and every at-bat in exhibitions to Danny Valencia and Luke Hughes; the guy who does the best at the end of March gets the job.
                6. Install Nick Punto as the everyday second baseman. He's good all over the infield but he's a difference-maker defensively at second base.
                7. Find a shortstop. Cabrera brought a lot to the team in two months, but his average fielding could turn subpar on the Target Field grass.
                8. Jon Rauch has a contract. Matt Guerrier remains valuable. Beyond that, it's time to rebuild the meat of the bullpen with guys with serious out pitches, such as Anthony Slama's slider, Alex Burnett's fastball and Carlos Gutierrez's sinker.
                9. Play Delmon Young every day - even day games after night games - and if he doesn't hit 25 home runs and drive in 85, dump him.
                10. Sign a starting pitcher ... a real one, not a Livan.
                http://www.winonadailynews.com/sport...cc4c002e0.html
                Last edited by placount; 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I do however think that Delmon can be a good player. Coming down the stretch I felt very comfortable whenever he came to the plate.
                  I don't think Delmon will hit well enough to justify his lousy defense in LF and the large # of double plays he grounds into. Even with his hot bat at the end of the season, he was basically a replacement level player for 2009.

His K rate went up in 2009, his BB rate declined sharply, his baserunning got worse, his GIDP rate increased.

Overall, he regressed both as a hitter and a fielder in 2009. I'd rather go into next year with Gomez playing every day in CF and Span in LF, than have Young installed as the everyday LF.

To me, they need to use some of that extra money Target Field will generate to upgrade the entire left side. Keep Punto at 2B, Span in CF, Cuddy in RF, Kubel at DH, Morneau at 1B, and Mauer at C. But they can't go into next year with Butcher, Harris, and Young holding down the left side.

9. Play Delmon Young every day - even day games after night games - and if he doesn't hit 25 home runs and drive in 85, dump him.
                  Even with 25 home runs, if he's still posting an OBP in the .315 range, playing poor defense in left, running the bases like a slug, and striking out 100+ times; then I don't think he's doing a lot for the team. He offers virtually nothing of value besides hitting the ball, and hitting .285 with 25 home runs and 100-120 K's in a full season's worth of AB's isn't too hot for a left fielder who's a liability on defense.
                  Last edited by mwiggins; 10-13-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Awesome, the Twins have already sigend Miguel Angel Sano to a reportedly $3.15 million contract. He's obviously not going to make the majors for at least the next 3-4 years but I've heard a lot about his potential.

I usually disagree with Patrick Reusse but I like what he had to say right there. Promote Danny Valencia instead of looking outsde of the organization for infield help. Trade Nathan. Resign Jon Rauch and Matt Guerrier. All genius.

I do want to keep both Gomez and Young, but it sucked seeing them both get at-bats with the bases loaded and swinging early in the count. I feel like Gomez should have been in AAA all of this time. Maybe the answer is in Aaron Hicks.

Comment

Gomez needs time in AAA. Let him relax down there and get his game out. The guy has insane talent and potential.
                      I will give Young one more year. His last two months made me think he has a little hope.
                      Pavano should be re-signed.
                      I would also like to see Span get a contract extension.

Also, what exactly is a type A free agent? Why does it mean Cabrera won't be back?
                      "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMustReign View Post
                        Gomez needs time in AAA. Let him relax down there and get his game out. The guy has insane talent and potential.
                        I will give Young one more year. His last two months made me think he has a little hope.
                        Pavano should be re-signed.
                        I would also like to see Span get a contract extension.

Also, what exactly is a type A free agent? Why does it mean Cabrera won't be back?
                        When you lose a type A free agent, you get two #1 picks back. A # 1 from the team that signs him, and a supplemental #1 at the end of the first round.

With a type B, you just get a supplemental #1 pick.

Type A free agents are defined by Elias Sports as being the top 20% of all players based on the last two seasons. Type B are in the next 20%. The bottom 60% of players don't have draft pick compensation attached to them.

That's the main reason the Twins didn't sign Juan Cruz last offseason, as he was Type A. He would have cost them a #1 pick. Which turned out to be a great move, as he was awful this season.

And that's why the Twins received 2 #1 picks when Hunter left for the Angels. They got the 27th pick in the 2008 draft from the Angels (RHP Carlos Gutierrez) and the 31st pick (Shooter Hunt) as a supplemental selection in that same draft.

I'm assuming that what they mean about Cabrera is that the Twins probably would rather have the #1 pick they'd get to NOT sign him.

Comment

Yea, and he really wasn't that great. He was OK, and thats good, but he has had a career that warrants him getting paid more than the Twins are willing to pay for the output they'd actually get.

Comment

Originally posted by mwiggins View Post
                            Even with 25 home runs, if he's still posting an OBP in the .315 range, playing poor defense in left, running the bases like a slug, and striking out 100+ times; then I don't think he's doing a lot for the team. He offers virtually nothing of value besides hitting the ball, and hitting .285 with 25 home runs and 100-120 K's in a full season's worth of AB's isn't too hot for a left fielder who's a liability on defense.
                            And he's only 23 years old. There were definitely times I was frustrated by him this season, but I don't think we should risk giving up on him too early.

Then again, this is the same thing I was saying about Luis Rivas 5 years ago...

Comment

Fair enough. I don't buy the Baker argument, I think he's the fifth starter on any other team, but I'll put that to rest.
                              I'm sorry. I can't let that be put to rest. 5th starter? Sarcasm, right? I hope? If not, you lack a basic understanding of what a #5 starter is. And how valuable Baker is. I'll hear, 'not an ace', but #5 starter?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X