Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIGHT NOW, is Joe Mauer a Hall of Famer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIGHT NOW, is Joe Mauer a Hall of Famer?

Putting all Twins bias aside, as well as the assumption of health and years of productivity to come, would Mauer's current resume read strong enough for induction at Cooperstown...?

Take a look a the numbers and make your case, one way or the other.

Go...
    Check out my articles at Bugs & Cranks.

I say no, he hasn't caught enough games.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      I say no, he hasn't caught enough games.
      The humor of the first nay-sayer being a White Sox fan is not lost on me.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPaw77 View Post
        The humor of the first nay-sayer being a White Sox fan is not lost on me.
        I think he's well on his way to be being a hofer but unless he died tomorrow while saving a bunch of kids or something, he really doesn't have enough time in yet. I'd give him two or three more years like he has put up and then he's in. I don't think I could ever rank him as a top 5 catcher of all time though. He'll always be regarded as a catcher but he plays too much firstbase and DH nowdays.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I think he was on a great pace up until 2010. He was used as a catcher for 80-85% of his starts. In '11, he caught 60% of his games played and last year it dropped down to 50%. Understandably, it's to protect their investment as he has gotten injured and had lower body issues. He's currently caught 70% this season, but it's early yet and I expect it to drop down a bit.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I would put him in.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Mauer to me doesn't quite cut it. I hate to say that, since he's a big reason why I attend games at Target Field. He's a good person and a fan favorite. Also, he could have gotten much more money with another team, but he stayed home. However, I place a big emphasis on 10 year peaks. Mauer has been in the league for 9 years. For a player with that short of a career, I need a bigger peak to put him in the Hall. Mauer's bat has been very good. However, I noticed that he just doesn't have the snap in his arm when gunning out runners. This has been going on since about 2009, his big MVP season. Mauer's defense is now more like Piazza's. However, his bat doesn't compete with Piazza's. I will say that Mauer has the best eye at the plate that I've personally witnessed.

If Mauer can play 120+ games a year for another 4-5 years, then he'll be shoe-in for the Hall. But I can't quite put him there yet.

Comment

Incredibly, Mauer should already be among the top-15 catchers by WAR at the end of this season. As of right now he's ranked 21st.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Love this discussion and comments -- share 'em on B&C, too -- I relish the debate this Mauer topic creates!

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                    However, I place a big emphasis on 10 year peaks. .
                    Wow, you must have a really small personal Hall of Fame. THere are probably only 40 or 50 players ever who put up 10 outstanding seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPaw77 View Post
                      Love this discussion and comments -- share 'em on B&C, too -- I relish the debate this Mauer topic creates!
                      What is B&C?

Comment

I like Mauer a lot, he's my favorite catcher in baseball, but no, not yet.
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Mauer's top 7 years match up well with the top 7 years of the very best catchers in MLB history. Yes, he is a HOFer right now.
                          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                            Mauer's top 7 years match up well with the top 7 years of the very best catchers in MLB history. Yes, he is a HOFer right now.
                            7 years alone doesn't make a HOF career.
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I think so because of his batting titles and he won a MVP award

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X