Twins 2013-2014 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins 2013-2014 Offseason Thread

Not that anyone is going to post in here anyway, but I wanted a place to post the article about the Twins signing Ricky Nolasco.

Twins have deal with free-agent righty Nolasco
    Former Dodger, Marlin was one of top starting pitchers available on market

By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com - 27 NOV 2013 - 1855 EST

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins agreed to terms with right-hander Ricky Nolasco, according to a report from MLB Daily Dish.

The club has not confirmed the deal. Nolasco, however, changed his Twitter avatar to a Twins logo shortly after news broke that he had agreed to sign with the Twins on Wednesday afternoon. Minnesota is expected to announce the signing once he passes his physical.

According to Yahoo Sports, the contract is a four-year deal worth $49 million with a club option for 2018. The option is worth $13 million and can vest into a player option based on innings pitched in 2016-17.

The contract would be the largest free-agent signing in the club's history, surpassing Josh Willingham's three-year, $21 million deal signed before the 2012 season.

Nolasco, who turns 31 on Dec. 13, is a major addition to a rotation that finished with the worst ERA in the Majors last season. Nolasco posted a 3.70 ERA with 165 strikeouts and 46 walks in 199 1/3 innings with the Marlins and Dodgers last season.

He was a solid addition for the Dodgers down the stretch after being acquired in a trade with Miami on July 6, as he posted a 3.52 ERA in 16 appearances. He also made one start in the National League Championship Series against the Cardinals, giving up three runs over four innings.

Nolasco is known for his durability, as he's averaged 31 starts per season over the last six years. He's made at least 30 starts in five of the last six seasons, missing the mark in '10, when he made 26 starts because of surgery to repair the meniscus in his right knee. He hasn't been on the disabled list since that season.

Nolasco has a career 89-75 record with a 4.37 ERA in 229 career appearances, including 212 starts. He's struck out 7.4 batters per nine innings over his career, which was his exact mark in '13, as well.

The Corona, Calif., native was originally drafted by the Cubs in the fourth round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, but was traded to the Marlins before the 2006 season.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

They still have a lot of work to do to put a competitive team on the field, but I do like that Nolasco signing. That rotation was terrible last year, and every little bit will help!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

It's nice to see the Twins being "players" in the market for a change. Not sure that they've made enough noise in the FA market to scare too many teams, but if we see any of their young talent develop as expected, there is no reason they couldn't make the season worth watching right up until the end.

I haven't given up on Hicks or Parmelee yet and if Dozier and Plouffe can take another small step forward, they will hold their own. Florimon doesn't get the credit he deserves at SS - arguably one of the best out there (I know I may be treading on sacred ground, but just go compare his RF, FPCT and DWAR with Ozzie Smith). Mix in a healthy Mauer and a return of Willingham along with Pinto/Suzuki, Presley and Arcia and this lineup could return to 2012 form.

The rotation HAS to be better than they have been the last three years and if they are even a half a run (and I will go out on a limb and say that they will be), they could be in position to win 85 or so games. I'm not sure what Nolasco and Hughes will bring to the table yet as both have had up and down careers, but at least the Twins are loaded with "3" and "4" starters as opposed to "5" and "spot" starters like the past three seasons.

Go Twins!

Comment

3B prospect, Miguel Sano, will miss 2014 due to requiring Tommy John surgery to repair his UCL that he injured during winter league ball.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X