Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Yankees Payroll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yankees Payroll

    USAToday.com has a terrific site that lists all the salaries for MLB teams and players, and it's sortable back to 1988. Here's a link.

    Here's a look at how the Yankees total payroll has compared to the top 10 spending teams since 1994 (which I personally mark as the beginning of this larger run of success; I've also rounded the figures up to the nearest million); the escalation by the Yankees is astounding, particularly in the last few years:

    1994
    1) Yankees - 45 million
    2) Blue Jays - 42 million
    3) Braves - 41 million
    4) Royals - 41 million
    5) Giants - 41 million
    6) Tigers - 41 million
    7) Reds - 40 million
    8) White Sox - 39 million
    9) Orioles - 38 million
    10) Dodgers - 38 million

    1995
    1) Blue Jays - 50 million
    2) Yankees - 47 million
    3) Braves - 46 million
    4) Orioles - 41 million
    5) White Sox - 40 million
    6) Reds - 38 million
    7) Athletics - 36 million
    8) Tigers - 36 million
    9) Indians - 36 million
    10) Giants - 35 million

    1996
    1) Yankees - 53 million
    2) Orioles - 49 million
    3) Braves - 48 million
    4) Indians - 46 million
    5) White Sox - 42 million
    6) Reds - 41 million
    7) Red Sox - 40 million
    8) Mariners - 39 million
    9) Cardinals - 39 million
    10) Rangers - 36 million

    1997
    1) Yankeees - 60 million
    2) Orioles - 55 million
    3) White Sox - 55 million
    4) Indians - 55 million
    5) Braves - 51 million
    6) Rangers - 51 million
    7) Marlins - 48 million
    8) Reds - 47 million
    9) Blue Jays - 46 million
    10) Cardinals - 45 million

    1998
    1) Orioles - 71 million
    2) Yankees - 64 million
    3) Braves - 60 million
    4) Indians - 60 million
    5) Rangers - 55 million
    6) Cardinals - 53 million
    7) Mariners - 53 million
    8) Red Sox - 52 million
    9) Mets - 50 million
    10) Cubs - 50 million

    1999
    1) Yankees - 89 million
    2) Rangers - 82 million
    3) Braves - 76 million
    4) Indians - 74 million
    5) Red Sox - 72 million
    6) Mets - 72 million
    7) Dodgers - 71 million
    8) Orioles - 71 million
    9) Diamondbacks - 71 million
    10) Cubs - 56 million

    2000
    1) Yankees - 93 million
    2) Dodgers - 91 million
    3) Orioles - 84 million
    4) Braves - 83 Million
    5) Red Sox - 82 million
    6) Mets - 80 million
    7) Diamondbacks - 80 million
    8) Indians - 77 million
    9) Rangers - 71 million
    10) Devil Rays - 65 million

    2001
    1) Yankees - 113 million
    2) Red Sox - 110 million
    3) Dodgers - 110 million
    4) Mets - 94 million
    5) Indians - 93 million
    6) Braves - 92 million
    7) Rangers - 89 million
    8) Diamondbacks - 86 million
    9) Cardinals - 79 million
    10) Blue Jays - 77 million

    2002
    1) Yankees - 126 million
    2) Red Sox - 109 million
    3) Rangers - 106 million
    4) Diamondbacks - 103 million
    5) Dodgers - 95 million
    6) Mets - 95 million
    7) Braves - 94 million
    8) Mariners - 81 million
    9) Indians - 79 million
    10) Giants - 79 million

    2003
    1) Yankees - 153 million
    2) Mets - 118 million
    3) Braves - 107 million
    4) Dodgers - 106 million
    5) Rangers - 104 million
    6) Red Sox - 100 million
    7) Mariners - 87 million
    8) Cardinals - 84 million
    9) Giants - 83 million
    10) Diamondbacks - 81 million

    2004
    1) Yankees - 185 million
    2) Red Sox - 128 million
    3) Angels - 101 million
    4) Mets - 97 million
    5) Phillies - 94 million
    6) Dodgers - 93 million
    7) Cubs - 91 million
    8) Braves - 91 million
    9) Cardinals - 84 million
    10) Giants - 83 million

    2005
    1) Yankees - 209 million
    2) Red Sox - 124 million
    3) Mets - 102 million
    4) Angels - 98 million
    5) Phillies - 96 million
    6) Cardinals - 93 million
    7) Giants - 91 million
    8) Mariners - 88 million
    9) Cubs - 88 million
    10) Braves - 87 million

    2006
    1) Yankees - 195 million
    2) Red Sox - 121 million
    3) Angels - 104 million
    4) White Sox - 103 million
    5) Mets - 102 million
    6) Dodgers - 99 million
    7) Cubs - 95 million
    8) Astros - 93 million
    9) Braves - 91 million
    10) Giants - 91 million

  • #2
    What this says to me is that the Yankees did not buy their recent championships as much as people think they did. The Yankees fiscal insanity has pretty much come since the World Series years. During the championship years, the team was much sloer to the pack, and in 1998, the 114 win year, was outspent by the Orioles.

    Comment


    • #3
      Flip side is that the Yanks have spent enough that people say they were trying to buy the rings.

      Oh yeah, add about 35-40% of Abreu's salary, since the Yanks picked that up. This while paying Pavano to enjoy his Twinkies and resting up while collecitng a $10m salary.

      I've always wondered what would people say if the Yankee payroll was $140-150m and had won two WS after 2000.

      If Jeter made $17m instead of $18.9. If Unit made $13m instead of $16m. If we had Boomer instead of Pavano. El Duque instead of David Wright. Ortiz instead of Giambi. Lowell instead of A-Rod.

      Funny thing is, we had our chances at every single one of them. Lowell is from our farm.

      Now why the heck are we facing ex-Yankee farmhand Juan Rivera, now playing for Anaheim? Hopefully, he'll remember that he's still on the Yankee payroll come Saturday/Sunday.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DoubleX
        USAToday.com has a terrific site that lists all the salaries for MLB teams and players, and it's sortable back to 1988. Here's a link.

        Here's a look at how the Yankees total payroll has compared to the top 10 spending teams since 1994 (which I personally mark as the beginning of this larger run of success; I've also rounded the figures up to the nearest million); the escalation by the Yankees is astounding, particularly in the last few years:

        1994
        1) Yankees - 45 million
        2) Blue Jays - 42 million
        3) Braves - 41 million
        4) Royals - 41 million
        5) Giants - 41 million
        6) Tigers - 41 million
        7) Reds - 40 million
        8) White Sox - 39 million
        9) Orioles - 38 million
        10) Dodgers - 38 million

        1995
        1) Blue Jays - 50 million
        2) Yankees - 47 million
        3) Braves - 46 million
        4) Orioles - 41 million
        5) White Sox - 40 million
        6) Reds - 38 million
        7) Athletics - 36 million
        8) Tigers - 36 million
        9) Indians - 36 million
        10) Giants - 35 million

        1996
        1) Yankees - 53 million
        2) Orioles - 49 million
        3) Braves - 48 million
        4) Indians - 46 million
        5) White Sox - 42 million
        6) Reds - 41 million
        7) Red Sox - 40 million
        8) Mariners - 39 million
        9) Cardinals - 39 million
        10) Rangers - 36 million

        1997
        1) Yankeees - 60 million
        2) Orioles - 55 million
        3) White Sox - 55 million
        4) Indians - 55 million
        5) Braves - 51 million
        6) Rangers - 51 million
        7) Marlins - 48 million
        8) Reds - 47 million
        9) Blue Jays - 46 million
        10) Cardinals - 45 million

        1998
        1) Orioles - 71 million
        2) Yankees - 64 million
        3) Braves - 60 million
        4) Indians - 60 million
        5) Rangers - 55 million
        6) Cardinals - 53 million
        7) Mariners - 53 million
        8) Red Sox - 52 million
        9) Mets - 50 million
        10) Cubs - 50 million

        1999
        1) Yankees - 89 million
        2) Rangers - 82 million
        3) Braves - 76 million
        4) Indians - 74 million
        5) Red Sox - 72 million
        6) Mets - 72 million
        7) Dodgers - 71 million
        8) Orioles - 71 million
        9) Diamondbacks - 71 million
        10) Cubs - 56 million

        2000
        1) Yankees - 93 million
        2) Dodgers - 91 million
        3) Orioles - 84 million
        4) Braves - 83 Million
        5) Red Sox - 82 million
        6) Mets - 80 million
        7) Diamondbacks - 80 million
        8) Indians - 77 million
        9) Rangers - 71 million
        10) Devil Rays - 65 million

        2001
        1) Yankees - 113 million
        2) Red Sox - 110 million
        3) Dodgers - 110 million
        4) Mets - 94 million
        5) Indians - 93 million
        6) Braves - 92 million
        7) Rangers - 89 million
        8) Diamondbacks - 86 million
        9) Cardinals - 79 million
        10) Blue Jays - 77 million

        2002
        1) Yankees - 126 million
        2) Red Sox - 109 million
        3) Rangers - 106 million
        4) Diamondbacks - 103 million
        5) Dodgers - 95 million
        6) Mets - 95 million
        7) Braves - 94 million
        8) Mariners - 81 million
        9) Indians - 79 million
        10) Giants - 79 million

        2003
        1) Yankees - 153 million
        2) Mets - 118 million
        3) Braves - 107 million
        4) Dodgers - 106 million
        5) Rangers - 104 million
        6) Red Sox - 100 million
        7) Mariners - 87 million
        8) Cardinals - 84 million
        9) Giants - 83 million
        10) Diamondbacks - 81 million

        2004
        1) Yankees - 185 million
        2) Red Sox - 128 million
        3) Angels - 101 million
        4) Mets - 97 million
        5) Phillies - 94 million
        6) Dodgers - 93 million
        7) Cubs - 91 million
        8) Braves - 91 million
        9) Cardinals - 84 million
        10) Giants - 83 million

        2005
        1) Yankees - 209 million
        2) Red Sox - 124 million
        3) Mets - 102 million
        4) Angels - 98 million
        5) Phillies - 96 million
        6) Cardinals - 93 million
        7) Giants - 91 million
        8) Mariners - 88 million
        9) Cubs - 88 million
        10) Braves - 87 million

        2006
        1) Yankees - 195 million
        2) Red Sox - 121 million
        3) Angels - 104 million
        4) White Sox - 103 million
        5) Mets - 102 million
        6) Dodgers - 99 million
        7) Cubs - 95 million
        8) Astros - 93 million
        9) Braves - 91 million
        10) Giants - 91 million


        The Yankees and all the other teams have had growing saleries in the past 10 years but some of that is from inflation but what I dont get is how they went from 40 mil to 195 mil in just 10 years?
        "It's deja vu all over again!"
        -Yogi Berra-

        Comment


        • #5
          I never bought into the junk that Yankees "bought" a WS. Their payroll been a lot more in recent years than in past. You think players like O'Neil, Brosius, Tino and Bernie were ridiculous highly paid players like A-Rod, Giambi and Sheffield?

          Though, in recent years, they been 60-80 more millions dollars ahead of the next time. At times, I do find that to be a bit ridiculous. Lol, notice the payroll increase every year the Yankees did not win the WS.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sure the Yankees buy WS titles. That's why they won in 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

            People who say this are absolutely right.

            I don't agree with the spending of the Yankees, but it is ridiculous to say that their spending automatically leads to WS titles.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tripledup22
              The Yankees and all the other teams have had growing saleries in the past 10 years but some of that is from inflation but what I dont get is how they went from 40 mil to 195 mil in just 10 years?
              A large part of the huge increase, especially in the past five years, has to do with the YES Network. The Yankees generate massive revenues from the network that are probably unparalleled in all sport.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mattingly
                Flip side is that the Yanks have spent enough that people say they were trying to buy the rings.

                Oh yeah, add about 35-40% of Abreu's salary, since the Yanks picked that up. This while paying Pavano to enjoy his Twinkies and resting up while collecitng a $10m salary.

                I've always wondered what would people say if the Yankee payroll was $140-150m and had won two WS after 2000.

                If Jeter made $17m instead of $18.9. If Unit made $13m instead of $16m. If we had Boomer instead of Pavano. El Duque instead of David Wright. Ortiz instead of Giambi. Lowell instead of A-Rod.

                Funny thing is, we had our chances at every single one of them. Lowell is from our farm.

                Now why the heck are we facing ex-Yankee farmhand Juan Rivera, now playing for Anaheim? Hopefully, he'll remember that he's still on the Yankee payroll come Saturday/Sunday.
                Personally I`d rather have A-Rod but the others would be slightly prefwerable.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think people confuse their recent high profile signing of players to contacts that cough up a lot of cash and think they were doing it during the WS run in the late 90's. Lol, like I said, Yankees seem to spend more money every year they fail to win a WS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good link Double X. I have often wondered what teams were paying back then.

                    When the Yankees win a WS Championship, some people will say the Yankees "bought it". When they don't win it all, they say "look what the Yankees are spending and they still can't either get into the WS or win it all". Double-edged sword. Neither is true.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      People keep attacking the Yankees but the fact is they are playing by the rules. And the rules are unfair. If there is anyone to attack it's Selig.
                      Yankees '09

                      Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yankee Legend
                        People keep attacking the Yankees but the fact is they are playing by the rules. And the rules are unfair. If there is anyone to attack it's Selig.
                        That's true, but also, the Yankees make tons of money for the rest of the league. Through revenue sharing and the luxury tax, teams like the Royals and Pirates get millions and millions from the Yankees. Plus, the Yankees are like a traveling road show, guaranteeing massivie attendance boosts most everywhere they play. As much as people may not want to hear it, the Yankees are very good for baseball financially.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X