No announcement yet.

Jeter AL Gold Glove Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also call into question the accuracy of that article that VIBaseball linked to. It states that UZR had Jeter at -16 in 2005, whereas Mitchel Lichtman did an interview with Replacement Level Yankees Weblog the other day and claimed Jeter was a -8
    MGL is constantly changing his methodology, so that could be the reason for the discrepancy.

From watching Jeter i have always gotten the sense that he has pretty poor lateral range, and these metrics agree that that is his problem. I think its ridiculous to suggest that people create these metrics intending for there to be an anti-Jeter bias. Its important to note that the metrics considered by statheads to be the best (Range, UZR) generally agree with the conventional scouting wisdom.

Comment

Didn't Orlando Cabrera have 8 less errors than Jeter at SS last year?

I'm not hating on Jeter myself, but I don't think he deserved the Gold Glove last season. I would have gave the Gold Glove to Cabrera.

Another person that deserved a Gold Glove last year was Blalock at 3B, who didn't win. Eric Chavez won the Gold Glove last year even though Blalock had a better year on the field.

Still, people get short end of the stick every year, but most people don't care since it's just the Gold Glove.

Comment

Every year they award a gold glove to a player at each position. Sometimes all you have to do is suck less than your competition.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X