• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hank Parks
    • Jul 2005

Cano will be the next 400 hitter

I really think this kid will be the next 400 guy
    I think if God Blesses his health Ted Williams and Rod Carew will take a look
  • EvanAparra
    Team Veteran
    • Mar 2006

Man, i think Cano will be a good player too... But this is going pretty far..

One guy is comparing him to Honus Wagner, another saying he is definately going to a be a HOFer, another says 3000 hits, and now hes going to hit .400? Ive never seen this much hype for a player who is yet to play 2 full seasons.

But if you are all correct in your assertions...Heres hoping for a trade to a NL team

Comment

• KCGHOST
      • Dec 2003

He really doesn't have much of a shot at .400 in the real world. To reach that plateau in todays game you need to walk and walk alot. That is something Cano is not very good at. Even in a season in which he was only able to play just enough time to qualify for the batting title he didn't come remotely close to .400.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• Mariano_Rivera
        Joba Rules
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by KCGHOST
        He really doesn't have much of a shot at .400 in the real world. To reach that plateau in todays game you need to walk and walk alot. That is something Cano is not very good at. Even in a season in which he was only able to play just enough time to qualify for the batting title he didn't come remotely close to .400.
        Actually that prediciton isn`t really that unreasopnable. Young players rarely walk as well, that will come.
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• DoubleX
          Just a Fool
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
          Actually that prediciton isn`t really that unreasopnable. Young players rarely walk as well, that will come.
          He should improve, but he has a lot of ground to makeup. Lack of walks was probably a major factor in Rod Carew not getting to .400 in 1977 when he finished at .388. But even Carew had a respectable 69 walks that year - Cano has a long way to get there. Ichiro in 2004 is another good example. He hit .372, but walked just 48 times, and amassed a whopping 704 ABs.

Comment

• EvanAparra
            Team Veteran
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            It isnt that unreasonable? No one has done it in over 60 years... Id say its a little much..

Comment

• Dodgerfan1
              Breakin hearts since 1920
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by EvanAparra
              It isnt that unreasonable? No one has done it in over 60 years... Id say its a little much..
              I'd say it's a LOT much.
              Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

• EvanAparra
                Team Veteran
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
                I'd say it's a LOT much.
                So do i, just trying to be civil in their forum.

Comment

• Mariano_Rivera
                  Joba Rules
                  • Mar 2006

He said he would be the next person so i assumed that he didn`t mean that he WOULD do it but that of all other ML players he hadthe best chance.
                  2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Myankee4life
                    • Jan 2005

.400 is a stretch but I could see Cano reaching .360 in his peak seasons.

I still stand by him winning 8 BT's and ending up with 3000 hits though
                    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

• TonyStarks
                      Yankee Forum Janitor
                      • Jun 2005

Cano doesn't walk much because he's up there hacking away.

He's got a sweet swing also. It was made to slap line drives into the gaps.
                      It's kind of Olerude-esque. A thing of beauty.

But to say Cano hits .400? As much as I like the kid, that's definately fool's gold.

Like Evan said, Cano is just not selective enough to reach .400.
                      But lets let the kid have 2 FULL seasons @ the Major level before some start calling him the next Nap or Honus.
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• flea45
                        • Jul 2006

What impresses me about Cano is his outstanding power to right and his ability to see the ball SOOO deep and line the ball down the left field line with such ease and smoothness. While he wont ever hit .400, he is one heck of a hitter.
                        GOT GRADY??

The Outside Corner - A Modern Look at Professional Sports

www.outsidecorner.bravehost.com

Comment

• Ubiquitous
                          stats moderator
                          • Aug 2005

IF Cano is going to get to .400 he is going to have to do better against lefties, and for that matter at Yankee Stadium.

Hitting lefties was Olerud's downfall for .400. He batted .396!! against righties but .291 against lefties.

The same thing happened to Tony Gwynn. One year he batted .404 against righties but .374 against lefties.

I think Tony had the best shot because when he was at his best his splits were not that big.

Comment

• bbgods
                            • Sep 2006

i agree ,Gwynn was the last pure hitter with the chance to go 400 and if someone as disciplined as gwynn didnt achive the mark theres really no one who will. cano on the other hand can be a consitent 340 guy and a year to year treat to the batting tittle

Comment

• ChrisLDuncan
                              I <3 Yu Darvish
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              Man, i think Cano will be a good player too... But this is going pretty far..

One guy is comparing him to Honus Wagner, another saying he is definately going to a be a HOFer, another says 3000 hits, and now hes going to hit .400? Ive never seen this much hype for a player who is yet to play 2 full seasons.

But if you are all correct in your assertions...Heres hoping for a trade to a NL team
                              I dunno everyone seems to be raving about him. I'm impressed as all hell, but I can see him getting 3000 hits, which would put him in the Hall, however .400 I don't know. I think I sent you guys a link on why that won't happen anymore in a previous thread.
                              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X