Clear All

• The Offseason: 2006/2007

1. Torre is back for 07
    2. Sheffield Traded to the Tigers for three Pitching prospects
    3. Jaret Wright + 4 mil is traded to BAL for RP Chris Brittion
    4. Andy Pettitte Signed
    5. got rights to deal with Kei Igawa
    6. signed Igawa
    7. traded Randy Johnson for Pitching Prospects and a reliver (Viscano)
    8. resigned Cairo
    9. invited Bernie to a non-roster spring training spot - Declined
    Last edited by JordanDL3891; 02-15-2007, 04:40 AM.
    LETS GO YANKEES!

2007: which changes should be made?/off-season thread

Right now, off the top of my head:
    • I hope that Joe Torre goes (how many years are left on his contract? 1 or 2?
    • I hope that Randy Johnson retires (his back won't be getting any better).
    • HIdeki Matsui should become our full-time DH, leaving Melky Cabrera in LF.
    • Gary Sheffield should get his option bought out, letting him walk.
    • Jaret Wright should be traded.
    • Kyle Farnsworth should be traded.
    • Ron Villone should be traded.

That's all I can think of right now. Any thoughts, additions? I can't see this team continuing by doing the same thing next season. We need young, fresh blood in there. We're too stagnant. Waiting around for the big hit isn't working. If the hits were coming, fine. Right now, getting owned for that many innings isn't a good thing.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Right now, off the top of my head:
      • I hope that Joe Torre goes (how many years are left on his contract? 1 or 2?
      • I hope that Randy Johnson retires (his back won't be getting any better).
      • HIdeki Matsui should become our full-time DH, leaving Melky Cabrera in LF.
      • Gary Sheffield should get his option bought out, letting him walk.
      • Jaret Wright should be traded.
      • Kyle Farnsworth should be traded.
      • Ron Villone should be traded.

That's all I can think of right now. Any thoughts, additions? I can't see this team continuing by doing the same thing next season. We need young, fresh blood in there. We're too stagnant. Waiting around for the big hit isn't working. If the hits were coming, fine. Right now, getting owned for that many innings isn't a good thing.

*SIGH*

Where to begin?

First, I think Torre must go.
      The guy has just lost his mind. I'm not exactly sure who we could replace him with.
      Maybe, I'd lean to Joe Giradi.

Starting Pitching:
      Randy Johnson has to go. The man is no longer reliable and you never know what your going to get from him. If the Yanks do keep him, he's got to be a 3rd or 4th pitcher.

Jeff Karsten needs to get a shot to make this rotation next season. Hopefully as a 4th or 5th pitcher.

Darryl Rastner, see above.

Philip Hughes has to be pushed this off season. Every effort should be made to at least get him 10 games next season.

Moose, do not re-up on the option. I would give him a new 2yr deal but at no more then $20M for 2.

Jaret Wright, let me pack this bum's bags and I'll drive his bum ass to Kennedy myself!

Corey Lidle, see Above!

Bullpen:
      GET RID OF KYLE FARNSWORTH!!!
      This man could not be trusted to hold a glass of water!

Ron Villone, cut ties to him. Joe Torre didn't use the guy all year, then all of a sudden once he realized he was out in the BP, he just abused him!

Bats:
      Gary Sheffield has no place on this team. Cut ties with him already.
      Hideki Matsui must be delegated to full time DH and 4th OFer.
      Bernie Wiliams, the guy could be upped for 1 more year. He's the backup DH, PH and 5th OFer.
      Melky Cabrera must be the starting LFer on this team.
      ARod, should not be traded. Stop moving the man about the lineup, if you already know that he's a head case then why add fuel to the fire by batting him 6th and then slap him in the face by batting him 8th!

Free Agents:
      SPs
      Ted Lilly, I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd or 4th Starter.
      Jason Schmidt, I think he could pitch in the AL and would be a good 2 or 3 pitcher.

BP:
      Danny Baez
      Chad Bradford, he reminds me of Jeff Nelson
      JC Romero, the guy has stuff but has been misused. I like his stuff.

The team needs to inject new and young blood into the team.
      Guys that are hungry and NOT players who are on the wrong side of 30 and hoping to get a Ring to put an exclamation point on their careers.
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

1. Torre gone.
        2. Randy Johnson gone.
        3. Matsui become a DH. Melky become the everyday LF.
        4. Sheffield gone.
        5. Wright and Pavano dealt for young pitching, if possible.
        6. Sign Zito or/and Schmidt.
        7. Improve the bullpen
        8. Deal Giambi. I take Matsui at DH over Giambi.
        9. Obtain a 1B through FA or trade.
        10. Trade A-Rod for two, not one, good and young pitchers.
        11. Mussina gone.

This team need to be worked on. An All-Star team doesn't cut it. They don't need a powerful lineup like they had. Having a weak hitter here and there won't kill your lineup. You'll maintain the core of Damon, Jeter, Abrue, Matsui, Melky, Posada and Cano. The Yankees need to work on obtain a good 1B, all around, and a good 3B, if they do trade A-Rod. The starting pitching needs to be improved vastly. Bullpen needs improvement, but not as badly as the rotation.

Comment

I'd say goodbye to A-Rod. Not that losing to Detroit was his fault but the media and fans are not going to let up. For his own good he needs to go elsewhere and for the good of the team. He's become a distraction.

I'm not sure if we should bring Mussina back. I guess it would depend on how much he is asking. He's showing signs of wear and tear and old age.

Goodbye Gary Sheffield. A great hitter but lazy in the outfield and why learn a new position at his age? Defense is what is needed. A total distraction in spring training every year whining about his contract.

They need to find a catcher to eventually replace Posada. Is Nieves the answer? I don't know.

Wang is obvious, sign Zito, maybe Mussina, Johnson is a 4th or 5th starter, give Rasner and Karstens(sp) a shot at roster spot. You have Bruney, Proctor, Meyers and Riveria as sure spots in the bullben. Better start looking for an understudy to Riveria. Give Dotel some more time to come back and look for some more help for Proctor.

I love Joe Torre but maybe he's getting stale. Lou Pinella is out there and might add some fire to the clubhouse.

This team needs a shot of character like O'Neil and Martinez used to give them. They don't need much but it was the pitching that was the biggest let down.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
            1. Torre gone.
            2. Randy Johnson gone.
            3. Matsui become a DH. Melky become the everyday LF.
            4. Sheffield gone.
            5. Wright and Pavano dealt for young pitching, if possible.
            6. Sign Zito or/and Schmidt.
            7. Improve the bullpen
            8. Deal Giambi. I take Matsui at DH over Giambi.
            9. Obtain a 1B through FA or trade.
            10. Trade A-Rod for two, not one, good and young pitchers.
            11. Mussina gone.

This team need to be worked on. An All-Star team doesn't cut it. They don't need a powerful lineup like they had. Having a weak hitter here and there won't kill your lineup. You'll maintain the core of Damon, Jeter, Abrue, Matsui, Melky, Posada and Cano. The Yankees need to work on obtain a good 1B, all around, and a good 3B, if they do trade A-Rod. The starting pitching needs to be improved vastly. Bullpen needs improvement, but not as badly as the rotation.
            I agree with most of the above. However, while I get upset with Torre, I wouldn't get rid of him. It wasn't his fault that Mussina couldn't hold a lead, or that the lineup was so tense that they made Bonderman (a former 19 game loser) look like a HoFer. (Come to think of it, the Yanks have done that with a lot of questionable pitchers this year.) Also, I'm not ready to put Matsui in as the DH just yet. We tend to forget that he is a 25 HR, 100 RBI guy, and a good outfielder to boot. He may not hit that well as a DH. I say rotate Melky through the outfield to give the regulars a day off. He filled in nicely this year, but, outside of his arm, I don't quite think that he's better than Matsui just yet. Also, Giambi isn't going anywhere. Who would pick up that contract? Keep him at first. Making him a DH just doesn't work - we knew that at the beginning of the year. He wouldn't be that horrendous if he played every day. He looked bad at 1st towards the end of the year because he was out there so infrequently.

Comment

This team needs a fire! It needs an attitude ...and bad!

That's why I was so adamant about them signing Ryan Freel to play CF.
              I just felt the guy could have brought back a fire to them.
              They would have seen his hustle, his play...and his desire to do whatever needed to be done.

He had that Paul O'Neill like attitude and fire which I love to see in players!
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I wouldn't want Torre to go. I mean, how would that affect Jeter? Posada? Rivera? maybe even Bernie? Those five have basically been together since day one. It's like losing a father or mentor.
                20001999199819961978197719621961195819561953195219511950194919471943194119391938193719361932192819271923

Comment

Goners:

Torre
                  Johnson (I have said it for two years)
                  Pavano
                  Wright
                  Sheffield
                  Farnsworth
                  Villone
                  Lidle
                  Giambi

Changes:

Keep Moose but on a one year contract (if it doesn't work out, we can always fire him)
                  Make Melky our everyday OF
                  Matsui DH
                  Get a couple of promising young arms (I think we can get some out of our farm system)
                  And most of all: Move Jeter to third and let Rodriguez play his natural position again
                  And if A-Rod has to go, trade him for Jared Weaver or another young gun.
                  Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 10-07-2006, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I would keep Torre and A-Rod, move Matsui to DH and Melky to left, Giambi can be our first baseman, we should make it a top priority to get Zito and Schmidt, we oughta run Johnson, Sheffield, Farnsworth, Pavano, Wright, Lidle,and Villone out on a rail. I'd stick with Bernie for another year, resign Mussina for one/two more years, but above all, don't make any stupid trades. (Phillip Hughes for Greg Maddux/John Smoltz/Tom Glavine/Roger Clemens/Pedro Martinez/Barry Bonds/El Duque etc.)

Comment

I hope that Joe Torre goes (how many years are left on his contract? 1 or 2? no way! that is stupid, he is one of the best ones in the game! getting rid of him will mess up the yankees chem.

I hope that Randy Johnson retires (his back won't be getting any better). agree

HIdeki Matsui should become our full-time DH, leaving Melky Cabrera in LF. no I dont think melky is good enough, though he does diserve a spot on the bench - bernies spot maybe.
                      Gary Sheffield should get his option bought out, letting him walk. no keep sheffield, then theres no room for melky.
                      Jaret Wright should be traded. of course! but who would take them, and who would we get in return?
                      Kyle Farnsworth should be traded. of course
                      Ron Villone should be traded. I dono, hes not that bad, and its hard to find good relivers (not that villone is one) that dont want to be closers.

who should se go after?

I would have to say ZITO ALL THE WAY! he's an FA! and we need pitching.

the [Japanese] guy, he pitched in the WBC, I forget his name, but he will make good friends with matsui he pitched like 18 innings once in a game.

DONT get rid of a-rod (how can you boo a yankee any way, I cant) he might have a high payrole, and this might not of been his best season, but for a bad year, he lead the Yankees in rbi's, which means he must of been a team player this year. If he goes, who would replace him? do we still have the duncan guy in our farm? is he any good? (I would like wright but that would NEVER happen lol) maybe, move Cano to 3rd, and get soriano, and bring him back to 2nd.
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 10-12-2006, 07:40 AM.
                      LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

should this get stickied? as it is BBF's 2006 New York Yankee's Off Season thread.
                        LETS GO YANKEES!

Comment

The Yankees won't win in the playoffs until they get a bona fide number 1 shut-down type starter. Wang is a good pitcher, but he won his game because of run support. He's a legit number 2. However, once Moose lost his game, the Yanks were doomed. They had to depend on a guy who hadn't pitched since getting an epidural, and Jared Wright. Given that, did they really have a chance to win this series after losing game 2? I saw this going downhill, I just didn't expect to see it happen this badly. At any rate, the Yanks will always be vulnerable in a 5 game series to a team (like the Twins) that has a shut-down starter who can pitch twice in the series. The honest answer is that everyone was so enamored with the Yankee lineup, that they forgot that there is no pitching.

Comment

Trading A-Rod for two good pitchers will provide the depth the Yankee rotation would need. If they obtain Zito or Schmidt, then they'll have good pitching rotation heading into next season. The club is not lacking of offense. Is offense impossible to get compared to good pitching? I don't think so.

I've also stated reasons for why A-Rod should be trade. The situation with the media, the fans and A-Rod degraded to an awful level. A-Rod's stock still extremely high regardless of recent history. They'll likely be able to obtain Ervin Santana and try to snag another SP from Los Angeles Angels during the offseason, because they expressed interest in A-Rod.

Rotation depth the biggest problem here. Even if they don't hit, if they hold the opposing team down, then they still got a chance. Obviously, Johnson and Wright are not going to hold any offense down.

Comment

This team needs a fire! It needs an attitude ...and bad!
                              I couldn't agree more Tony, and I think this is problem number one. What is most disgraceful about this loss is the fact we couldn't even COMPETE with the Tigers. They ran us out of their ballpark, and did it with great passion. Kenny Rogers animated antics on the mound last night and his let-it-all loose celebration tonight was wonderful to see from a fan's standpoint--he was just into the game and having fun with it all. Is this really the same Kenny Rogers whou couldn't get anyone out in two stints in New York? You've got to credit Jim Leyland for being a master motivator and criticize Torre and Jeter for not knowing when to ditch the cool, never-let-em see-you- sweat businesslike approach and put some cleats into some tushies.

No one's afraid of the Yanks anymore. Daryl Strawberry, Paul O'Neill and Jimmy Leyritz, etc. would never tolerate the complacent approach guys like ARod, Sheffield, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano and Mike Mussina bring to a game (amongst others). Can you imagine the standoff if Daryl Strawberry ever got in a whining Randy Johnson's face and told him to 'suck it up, and shut 'em down out there.' Guys like Johnson, Sheff, Mussina, Wright say they come here to win rings but they don't want to put in the effort necessary. Nobody ever laid down for the Yanks, the Yanks steamrolled them. Not anymore, not with this attitude.

When things got nasty with the Sox a few years back, Torre eschewed 'we don't play like that, that's not how we approach the game.' Don't we recall Ted Lilly nailing a Toronto player in the head in retaliation for Derek Jeter getting hit one time too many, or Straw bopping Armando Benitez for drilling Tino Martinez time and again? We need Brian Bruney firing inside to blow people off the plate a little more often, or Giambi sumo-wrestling Pedro Martinez or Curt Schilling or even Big Papi into the mud whenever there's a scrap. We need scrappy guys who want to have fun while they're winning--the Jose Vizcaino's, the Mariano Duncan's, Chuck Knoblauch's, Leyritz's,etc--because that's when it's the most fun for the fans well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X