Too Many Pitchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Many Pitchers?

Assuming the Yanks carry a 12-man pitching staff, the team seems a bit overstocked with both starters and relievers, leaving one to wonder who stays and who goes. Some of the decisions will be easy because it is the Yankee way to brush aside unproven pitchers in favor or aging veterans, thus Scott Proctor once again will not get a full-time chance, while Tanyon Sturtze will likely be on the roster. Anywho, here is a list of the pitchers, plus some of the younger guys recently added to the 40 man roster. Who do you think you will be wedged out (assuming most of these players are healthy on opening day)?

Starters
    Randy Johnson
    Mike Mussina
    Shawn Chacon
    Chien-Ming Wang
    Carl Pavano
    Jaret Wright
    Aaron Small

Relievers
    Mariano Rivera
    Tanyon Sturtze
    Scott Proctor
    Ron Villone
    Octavio Dotel
    Mike Myers
    Kyle Farnsworth

Others
    Jason Anderson
    Ramiro Mendoza
    Jorge DePaula
    Colter Bean
    Sean Henn
    T.J. Beam
    Matt DeSalvo
    Matt Smith
    Jeffrey Karstens

I'm pulling for Sean Henn.

Comment

Just keep in mind, there is still a possible chance for Pavano to be dealt, so don't pencil him in the opening day roster yet. Though, the chance of Pavano being dealt is not great, but the possibility is still there.

Dotel won't be part of the active roster until All-Star break. So, that leave the Yankees with 13 pitchers and look like the odd man out would be Scott Proctor as you point out, DoubleX. The Yankees will go into season with every starter and reliever you mention except Dotel and Proctor. Dotel should take the spot of one of the reliever if one of them is doing poorly or due to another reliever's injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
        Just keep in mind, there is still a possible chance for Pavano to be dealt, so don't pencil him in the opening day roster yet. Though, the chance of Pavano being dealt is not great, but the possibility is still there.

Dotel won't be part of the active roster until All-Star break. So, that leave the Yankees with 13 pitchers and look like the odd man out would be Scott Proctor as you point out, DoubleX. The Yankees will go into season with every starter and reliever you mention except Dotel and Proctor. Dotel should take the spot of one of the reliever if one of them is doing poorly or due to another reliever's injury.
        I forgot about Dotel's injury. I believe Pavano will be sticking around as there was some reported interest in him by other teams this offseason and the Yanks held on. I think the hope is that he'll bounce back from injury.

Personally, I'm hoping that Jaret Wright gets dealt. Perhaps the team is hoping he'll perform reasonably well in spring training and can entice the interest of another team.

Comment

aaron small will not be in the rotation come opening day. I would suppose wright is the odd-man out as of right now, with pavano and maybe even wang hanging in the balance. However, like last year, injuries may pop up and the rotation will then again go the next one on the list.

As for the bullpen, one can never have too many guys, however i see proctor or maybe even the lefty myers as the odd man out, however maybe having a cance to make the opening day roster if the yankees decide to carry 14 pitchers (which is unlikely). 12 pitchers is enough, so they might decide to make some trades, which is heavily favored over any other type of move. (theyre the yankees, a trade is likely) .So look for a trade in the pitching staff coming up very soon...
          ..............................MVP-Most Valuable Pujols!!!...Albert Pujols NL MVP 2005!!! ................................

Comment

I heard the Yankees are close to signing Al Leiter to a minor league deal. So, Leiter could be include on that list soon. Of course, it's a rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion

If Pavano is dealt, then who would it be for? Our biggest holes were CF and the bullpen, and those are now pretty much filled. If not, then we'd have not enough pitchers, rather than too much. Personally, I say there's not such thing as too much pitching, given that you've got a good starting lineup and versatile bench guys.

I get the impression that we'll see Colter Bean and/or Sean Henn in the rotation or pen sometime this year. Either in spring or September. Could be needed earlier, but that would jeapordize their rookie status if called up in June. Still, I'd have to see how good these guys are in Spring, and then how well they'll do the rest of the season.

I doubt we'll see Mendoza, but wouldn't mind seeing Jorge DePaula finally getting a chance w/o tons of guys blocking his path. As little trust that Torre has put into young players, that could be a career killer.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

It'll be seriously funny if Pavano and Wright miss huge portions of the season in 06. If that does happen, I bet you Cashman will place them both on waiversor release them. Come to Washington Carl!
                Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                  It'll be seriously funny if Pavano and Wright miss huge portions of the season in 06. If that does happen, I bet you Cashman will place them both on waiversor release them. Come to Washington Carl!
                  With Pavano getting some $10m/yr and Wright about $6.6m/yr, I doubt that either of them will be waived anytime soon. If anything, it'll be a hard bite in the wallet that the Yanks will look much more carefully before spending big bucks on pitchers who essentially had one great year. No coincidence that said career year just *HAPPENED* to coincide with their walk year.

At times, I'd rather pay them to stink for us than to possibly do better elsewhere. At that price, those cuts are expensive.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Is Felix Rodriguez still on the team? That's another name you can add to the list. Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                      Is Felix Rodriguez still on the team? That's another name you can add to the list. Geez.
                      Nevermind, just saw that he's not on the 40 man roster, so I guess he's a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        If Pavano is dealt, then who would it be for? Our biggest holes were CF and the bullpen, and those are now pretty much filled.
                        I'm still hoping that the Yanks get another bat for DH. With the number of players out there who can hit but can't field, I find it hard to believe that the Yankees can't find someone to fill this spot. If nothing is done, the DH will easily be the weakest position on the Yankee roster, and that is inexcusable in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Others
                          Jason Anderson
                          Ramiro Mendoza
                          Jorge DePaula
                          Colter Bean
                          Sean Henn
                          T.J. Beam
                          Matt DeSalvo
                          Matt Smith
                          Jeffrey Karstens
                          FREE COLTER BEAN!!! Give the guy a chance already.
                          After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

Comment

http://baseballpiggies.blogspot.com/
                            Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X