Who will be our regular DH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be our regular DH?

I'm curious, who do you think will be our regular DH for most of the season?

I'm thinking that Bernie may hit a few, but he may also need some rest when he's just swinging away too much.

For Jason Giambi, well, he's got Andy Phillips covering 1B, so he may get most of the work in. However, depending upon Phillips' glovework and athleticism, may either be a regular 1Bman, or he may be an 8th inning defensive replacement. Of course, this also depends upon Giambi's glovework.

We still have Bubba Crosby, and since Brian Cashman all but convinced the Cano and Wang seekers that the farm would not be raided, he could still play some RF while Gary Sheffield may end up doing some DH duty. I remember Sheffield having difficulty getting to some hits in 2005, so even if some power is lost in the lineup, we would at least get some good defense.

Since each of the 3 backups mentioned--Bernie, Phillips and Bubba--would influence whether Giambi and Sheffield do some DH work, who do you folks feel would be the regular Yankee DH this season? Or would it be done on an "as-needed" basis, such as injuries?

Thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I'm guessing Bernie will be in there more often then not, but I also anticipate Torre using the DH spot as an opportunity to regularly lighten the load on guys like Giambi and Sheffield.

Comment

I think Giambi, should Andy Phillips hit at all, will get most of the DH duties, with Bernie and Sheff every now and then.

If Phillips starts really, really cold or the Yanks start out slow in the first month or so, he may be relegated to late inning defensive replacement. This would probably give Bernie more swings at DH and Sheff might split some time in right with Bubba, making Sheff more of a DH option.
      Cheering the Yanks from various parts of Asia

Comment

Ideally, Giambi would be the DH this year. Unfortunately, his numbers show that there is a very significant drop-off in his hitting when he doesn't play in the field. (I can't find the numbers now, but I seem to recall that his BA is approximately 100 points lower when he isn't in the field.) That being the case, it isn't worth putting him in the DH spot, since his fielding isn't bad enough to justify moving him to DH, thereby causing a 100 point drop in BA. Also, I don't see the Yanks putting Phillips' bat in the lineup (if they wanted a hole that big in the lineup, they would have just kept Crosby playing CF).

Assuming that Giambi plays 1st, we're left with Bernie at the DH. I'm not really thrilled about that option. Strange as it may seem, the weakest part of the Yankees' lineup will be the DH. I find it hard to believe that the Yanks can't find a solid hitter who no longer plays in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
          Assuming that Giambi plays 1st, we're left with Bernie at the DH. I'm not really thrilled about that option. Strange as it may seem, the weakest part of the Yankees' lineup will be the DH. I find it hard to believe that the Yanks can't find a solid hitter who no longer plays in the field.
          Frank Thomas is still out there...

Comment

I think that we have a 3-headed DH-by-committee thing. Here's my guys, and here's why:

Gary Sheffield: An obvious choice, since his slugging is second only to Alex Rodriguez, and his left arm or hand had bothered him, so he wasn't able to get to as many balls as before. Due to some injuries, I figure that he'll DH for 30-40 games this season, as Bubba Crosby plays in RF more often. In 2005, Sheffield played 131 games in RF; 23 as DH.

Jason Giambi: As noted by XX, Giambi does hit better when he bats, but at times, his fielding isn't too great. His throws to 2B or home have been an "adventure", at best. :o

Presuming that neither Matsui, Damon, Sheffield are being DH'd due to injury, I figure that Giambi should pull in 40-60 games as the DH. In 2005, he played 78 games at 1B; 59 as DH.

Bernie Williams: Despite hitting only .251 with a .688 OPS, I think that if Bernie gets a few days rest and limits the consecutive number of games played, then he can be productive. I've seen him hit well, only to drop back when played too regularly. If he plays 30 games at DH, I'd take this.

That takes care of about 110-130 games I figure. Between Interleague play in NL parks, and then finding other non-pitchers coming off injuries, I figure we'll get to the other games.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Most of Sheffield's games at DH last year came when he was injured in September. I don't really anticipate Sheffield seeing significant time at DH, perhaps once every week or so just to rest him a little. I think the DH will be mostly Bernie and Giambi, and their split will depend on how well Andy Phillips plays. If Phillips can hit decently, Giambi will be spending more time at DH. Posada is also a candidate to see some occasional games at DH. I'm actually pretty curious to see how the catcher situation plays out next year. I think the Yankees would like to begin to phase Posada out from catcher (since it'll preseve his bat better and because if he catches a certain amount of games, his 12 million option for 2007 kicks in), but with only two catchers likely to be on the roster and one either being Kelly Stinnett or rookie Wil Nieves, I'm guessing Posada will still be behind the plate for most games.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                Most of Sheffield's games at DH last year came when he was injured in September. I don't really anticipate Sheffield seeing significant time at DH, perhaps once every week or so just to rest him a little. I think the DH will be mostly Bernie and Giambi, and their split will depend on how well Andy Phillips plays. If Phillips can hit decently, Giambi will be spending more time at DH. Posada is also a candidate to see some occasional games at DH. I'm actually pretty curious to see how the catcher situation plays out next year. I think the Yankees would like to begin to phase Posada out from catcher (since it'll preseve his bat better and because if he catches a certain amount of games, his 12 million option for 2007 kicks in), but with only two catchers likely to be on the roster and one either being Kelly Stinnett or rookie Wil Nieves, I'm guessing Posada will still be behind the plate for most games.
                The problem I'm seeing, after having done a little forum-hopping, is that neither of our two big offensive forces that are likely to DH--Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi--may do more than 30-50 games apiece, possibly 60 from Giambi. Sheffield may only do 20-30, depending upon his health in 2006.

I don't see the Yanks getting an elite RFer, unless my fantasy that Ichiro will be traded comes true, but if Sheffield plays a good enough RF that Bubba doesn't need to back him up that much, unless as an occasional 8th inning defensive replacement, then you may be right that Gary may not see much DH action.

If Giambi does some glovework with Don Mattingly, in addition to the hitting work that his fellow southpaw has done with him, then I anticipate that his fielding will be more "passable" than anything else. Perhaps not some of the best diving catches that I've seen Nicky Johnson or Tony Clark do, as I don't expect him to be Olerud or Mientkiewicz in the field. At least if he doesn't "hurt us in the field" at 1B, then perhaps he could see more playing time there.

After his injury and I think a surgery, "Big Rube" Rivera never seemed to get as many hits for us as before, and then he was used in RF sometimes, where he's not very good. A lucky "Manny" type of catch or two, but a few things got way past him. Had he been his old self, our problems may have been solved.

I definitely do not wish to see Mikey Piazza in a Yankee uniform, but someone will have to fill the spot in several games. I'm crossing my fingers that Bernie, in a reduced role and with more rest, will thrive. If not, you're looking at a few spare parts from the bench as the DH. Not exactly an enviable situation, but you still need to fill out 9 names on each lineup card.

Comment

I really don't think Williams should even be consider to be a DH to his drop in numbers and also his age. To be honest, I think he should retire. Though, quite a few people still believe he's useful, but I don't myself. I would prefer if the Yankees tried giving younger players like Crosby and Phillps more of a chance at the plate than the age Williams, who be lucky enough to hit 260. at this point of his career. Of course, speculation is Williams will do a little better with the bat since he won't be out in the field much.

There is also a lot of option still out there in the free agent market for DH. Such as Frank Thomas and Mike Piazza. You know, there is always the option to pick up Benji Molina and have Posada and Molina platoon as catcher while the other play DH. Just a thought, since I think Posada can still hit at respectable level. Also, keep in mind, the Yankees might control how at bats Posada get, so he won't get that bonus.

Comment

There's a good chance that Matsui, who's DH'd before, will do some more of it. I share the opinion that Sheff will DH more as well, as I have the same concern about his durability that I've expressed elsewhere about Giambi's. Bubba could end up with a lot of time in the outfield. They'd have a lot better team if they had a full-time firstbaseman and could juggle DH as a separate issue, but unfortunately the DH and defense are linked, whether it's Giambi or Bernie.

Comment

The Yanks still need to find another bat. I'm dubious about the success that Bernie will have at DH. Even if he does DH, who comes off the bench? If the Yanks use Giambi, Matsui, or Sheffield at DH, it leaves a hole somewhere else in the lineup. Not to sound like a broken record, but if the Yanks wanted a hole in the lineup, they wouldn't have spent 13 mil/year on Damon, since Crosby would have done fine defensively in CF. They need to find a Phil Nevin-type player to DH.

Comment

I have to question the logic of ''The Yankees needing another bat'' when the current line-up is stacked the way it is. I really don't understand how they really need another bat. I can see the point of having another bat would be useful, but I don't see a need for another offense force on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                          I have to question the logic of ''The Yankees needing another bat'' when the current line-up is stacked the way it is. I really don't understand how they really need another bat. I can see the point of having another bat would be useful, but I don't see a need for another offense force on this team.
                          They need another bat because it's the DH position that we're talking about here. There's no way that the DH should be the weak spot in the batting order. As it stands right now, the DH (assuming it's Bernie) could easily end up hitting in the 9 hole, which would be absolutely ridiculous. If they don't find someone to fill the hole, they might as well have the pitcher step up to the plate.

Comment

They need another bat because it's the DH position that we're talking about here. There's no way that the DH should be the weak spot in the batting order. As it stands right now, the DH (assuming it's Bernie) could easily end up hitting in the 9 hole, which would be absolutely ridiculous. If they don't find someone to fill the hole, they might as well have the pitcher step up to the plate.
                            DH position is not populated by the great offensive player. It's another bat American League teams have over the National League pitcher position. Outside of David Ortiz, there's not many profile DH in the American League.

I can see what you're saying, but the Yankees don't need to go out and sign another player or trade for another player for the DH spot. The DH is not completely weak, even with Bernie. It's the weakest spot in this line-up due to this line-up being stacked the way it is.

Trust me, look at every line-up in MLB and nothing come close to matching the Yankees' line-up by any margin at this point. The need for another offensive player in the line-up is really not there. Yankee management is not trying hard to get a DH, because they also see that the DH is not a huge need at this current moment.

Comment

The Yanks still need to find another bat. I'm dubious about the success that Bernie will have at DH. Even if he does DH, who comes off the bench? If the Yanks use Giambi, Matsui, or Sheffield at DH, it leaves a hole somewhere else in the lineup. Not to sound like a broken record, but if the Yanks wanted a hole in the lineup, they wouldn't have spent 13 mil/year on Damon, since Crosby would have done fine defensively in CF. They need to find a Phil Nevin-type player to DH.
                              The problem with that philosophy is that if you sign another bat exclusively or primarily to DH, then you are forcing there to be one less bench player or one less pitcher on the 25-man roster. Right now, we've got a plethora of pitchers, and if I were to choose between one more bat, for which we may need to either trade or get a FA like Frank Thomas, then I'd have to assess how good that guy really is, what his injury history is over the past 4 years--especially over the last 2 years--and then decide if he's a good risk or not.

Right now, the Yanks haven't had a regular DH in quite awhile. Other than Edgar Martinez and David Ortiz, as someone mentioned earlier, there aren't many sluggers out there. Now if we got ourselves a good solid RFer with both great defense and good enough hitting that he doesn't kill every rally, then we could put Gary Sheffield as our regular DH, letting Jason Giambi fill in the rest of these chores. That guy could likely bat 5th or 6th.

As to Bubba Crosby vs Johnny Damon, Bubba has never been a regular player. He does good enough defensively to be our 4th OFer, as he also plays RF and LF, but he'd have to convince me that he can both play every day, and that he can continue his September hitting, when he hit .321 and had a .748 OPS. If he continues doing this, and plays superb defense, then I believe that we'd have RF covered sufficiently so that Gary Sheffield could play primarily as the DH, or at least 50/50 for the latter part of 2006.

As to a Phil Nevin-type of DH, he doesn't hit any better than Bubba Crosby, and Nevin hit .187 (while weighing 237) and had a .578 OPS in Texas for the 2nd half of 2005. He did better for the Padres in the 1st half, but Bernie could've done that also.

I'd pick Jermaine Dye over him, and if Bernie ever hit that horribly at DH, people would form a long line to give him his walking papers.

http://baseball-reference.com/n/nevinph01.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=5420
                              Last edited by Mattingly; 01-08-2006, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X