Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever noticed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    "I don't really mind it. It all comes with the territory." - Pinstripe pride


    like you said i normally don't mind it but it gets anoying. Some of the most annoying things are when people call you an a-hole or ignorant just for liking the yankees. Personally i think don't judge some you until you have actually had a converstion with them. Also I think that boston fans are more obnoxious then yankee fans(not saying because i am a yankee fan). For example the bullpen brawl, was that not enticed by the red sock fans.

    And as for saying "we" grow up buddy way to pick out the smallest things.
    "All I had was natural ability."
    -Mickey Mantle

    55 chmps and I are always looking to extend our unbeaten trivia record!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by 56 chmps
      like you said i normally don't mind it but it gets anoying. Some of the most annoying things are when people call you an a-hole or ignorant just for liking the yankees. Personally i think don't judge some you until you have actually had a converstion with them. Also I think that boston fans are more obnoxious then yankee fans(not saying because i am a yankee fan). For example the bullpen brawl, was that not enticed by the red sock fans.

      And as for saying "we" grow up buddy way to pick out the smallest things.
      I personally wouldn't get into any kind of name-calling here, even with fans of other teams. There are various Red Sox fans here and on other boards whom I'm proud to say have been excellent baseball fans as well as fans of their team. However, for winning teams, there will be homerism involved, and some individuals, due to socio-economic differences, and sometimes because they look, act and dress very differently, may not have any interest in one another as human beings.

      That said, even if someone deserved it, I'd still refrain from being so brutally honest. All I've ever asked from any baseball fan is that they support their team, act in a quality manner, and at least try to know the history of the team, especially if it's a storied one, such as the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Reds, ChiSox, etc.

      Amongst Red Sox fans, I've known that my favorites were the ones who unwaveringly stuck through their team through "thick and thin", and they weren't the least bit fair-weathered about this either. That's what made me admire them the most, since those were the ones who could be the least bit considered as front-runners.

      Some have even stated that being a Red Sox fan mean you could *NEVER* be a front-runner. I'd disagree, since after the 2004 season, some simply expected to continue winning, and of those, some were really apprehensive at the thought that they would not win the WS or contend the following year.

      I'm not saying that a Red Sox fan should quietly accept losing, but some, like some Yankee fans, will accept it better and won't really lash out at other fans, as if that's in support of their team.

      I accepted defeat after the 2005 ALDS, and many of the Red Sox fans I know of did also for theirs (or their team's). Perhaps people could focus on the baseball aspect of things, rather than bashing and trashing others, especially since none of said others have done anything to provoke them. If you think someone's moral values aren't too high, at least act like a decent person yourself, so that way, you can at least be worthy of not being that person's equal.

      Since this is an all-team forum, I believe that people can learn much by talking amongst one anothers, seeking out the more mature and considerate voices on all sides of the table, rather than the strongest and harshest reactions that often have the least thought put into said opinions.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

      Comment


      • #18
        Let me clarify...

        As far as people in general and those I work with I might get an occasional "Hey what happen to your team last night?" when they lose and that's about it. When I wear my Yankees cap or shirts, I'll get a few comments from people who like them and from some who don't, but that's about it. Nothing major. That's the part I said "come with the territory". I do have a cousin who likes the Red Sox and I give him a hard time, but its all fun.

        If I lived in the northeast, I'm sure the passion of many would escalate, especially at baseball games. If it got to the point of name-calling, which in my profession of coaching I hear from time-to-time, that would be diferent, I don't think I could tolerate that. Joking around is one thing, bashing is another.

        Comment


        • #19
          I totally get what your saying pinstripe i have a cousin you guys know him as 55 chmps and as you can see in our names we have totally different baseball beliefs.

          The whole point of this thread though was to see how people from every other fan base are always against the yankee's but that was leared up thanks to mattingly.

          Also the most annoying part is the people who think yankee fans are ignorant (as stated in my last post) and front runners. the other point of this thread was to see if you guys got the same crap for being yankee fans.

          And sorry mattingly for the rude remarks i will try to keep them on the down low.
          "All I had was natural ability."
          -Mickey Mantle

          55 chmps and I are always looking to extend our unbeaten trivia record!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by yankeekiller34BigPapi
            it might also have to do with the fact that NY is chock full of A-holes, do you think that might be why?
            I don't hate the players, I hate most of the ignorant yankee fans.
            I'm not being biased though, because Red Sox fans are A-holes too. Boston fans can really expose you: Celtics game against the Nets, a Celtics fan was holding up a sign for Jason Kidd that said "Wife Beater." haha Oh well, shouldn't hit your wife huh Jason?
            As Mattingly has already warned you, please dial it down. I lived in Boston for 5 years, and I can attest to a great wealth of Boston horror stories that likely rival, if not surpass, any thing you could say about Yankee fans.

            So please, by all means, keep posting in the Yankees forum...I for one welcome opinions from other fans, especially Boston fans, but civility is key and is what make's baseball-fever a truly great site and one that differs from traps of fan ignorance and hate that run rampid on many other sites.

            Thanks.

            Comment


            • #21
              The generalization of Yankee and Red Sox fans will be around all the time. Some Red Sox fans will think all Yankee fans are ignorant and a-hole, of course that's just a mere generalization on the part of a few fans, doesn't speak for that entire fan base. Same can be said for Yankee fans that think all Red Sox fans are just a bunch of angsty sore losers. Once again, that point of view is not shared by every fan of that fan base. Generalization will be around forever.

              Of course, if you know this, then you can seperate the good opinions from the bad and ignorant opinions. I know civil Yankee fans, but I also know some arrogant a-hole Yankee fans. I will not group entire fan base based on the few Yankee fans know, whether I would generalize Yankee fans being civil or a-holes. Like somebody said in this thread, get to know the person first before passing judgement.

              There will be some stupid Red Sox and Yankee fans and there will also be some very intelligent one that wouldn't mouth off blindly and ignorantly. Just a fact you accept and get over. Don't like obnoxious fans of a team, you just ignore them. Very hard to carry a conversation with a person that think every Yankee player sucks, when that's obviously not true.
              Also I think that boston fans are more obnoxious then yankee fans
              That's a generalization you have created with your experience with Red Sox fans. I'm not trying to be rude or mean. This is the way I thinking I have got rid of myself. While I'm quite aware there's obnoxious Red Sox fans, there also obnoxious Yankee fans. It really doesn't matter which side is more obnoxious, they're both still obnoxious fans for each team around.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Evangelion
                That's a generalization you have created with your experience with Red Sox fans. I'm not trying to be rude or mean. This is the way I thinking I have got rid of myself. While I'm quite aware there's obnoxious Red Sox fans, there also obnoxious Yankee fans. It really doesn't matter which side is more obnoxious, they're both still obnoxious fans for each team around.
                Right on.

                However, I think in both cases (again, I lived in Boston for nearly 5 years, so I have a pretty good impression of the fans up there as well as fans in New York, where I've lived the rest of my life), the bad probably outweighs the good. Or at least gets more attention than the good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Basically, I give every fan a chance to show themselves. I've met excellent Yankee and Red Sox fans here and on other boards. Some will talk the smack all night on both sides of the plate/fence or whatever, and some will truly have a love for baseball followed by a love for the team.

                  I've known one thing in common with the ones I like that they love the game of baseball in its entirety than they love their team. I've followed Red Sox fans online about 5 or so years so, as before then, I hadn't chatted with them, other than the occasional meeting at Yankee Stadium.

                  If someone is truly enamored with the game itself, the various records, its history, its rules, its entirety, and are truly devoted to the sanctity of the game, then a wealth of knowledge about their team's history can only be a bonus. If, however, all they care about is their team, its standings at the end of every year and whether or not they trounce the other team involved in the heated AL East rivalry, I've usually kept my distance from those people, regardless of whether they're Yankee or Red Sox fans.

                  If people can get together like human beings, act like they're quality human beings when in mixed company, then so much the better.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Figured I'd chime in on this one.

                    I can't say that I've ever been a nasty fan. I've never booed anyone while at the park (though I support a fan's right to do so) and on the whole I've always looked at the game of baseball well before team rivalries, despite the historic, media-driven tensions between Boston and NY. I've rooted for the Red Sox my entire life, and I've rooted against Boston's opposing teams my entire life, but there also have always been individual players on each team whom I've liked (including NY). I like dedicated ballplayers with heart, and I don't really care which city they serve.

                    The reason I say all this is because I may be an exception to the common rule, I don't know. But in response to "Have you ever noticed," it seems my impressions of the Yankees and our "great" rivalry have shifted over the last few years. I'm sure that some will claim sacrilege when I say this, but the rivalry is seeming like less and less of a big deal. Maybe the last few years have gotten something out of my system. I'm not sure. I still want Boston to beat NY, naturally, but I think a combination of age and an intensifying love for the game of baseball has created for me a sport in which I just don't see any team in absolutes. We do all have far more in common as fans than we have different, and I tend to think that Boston and NY, in particular, are both great cities with phenomenal fanbases. I'm not sure there's anything more to say than that.

                    SoxSon
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SoxSon
                      Figured I'd chime in on this one.

                      I can't say that I've ever been a nasty fan. I've never booed anyone while at the park (though I support a fan's right to do so) and on the whole I've always looked at the game of baseball well before team rivalries, despite the historic, media-driven tensions between Boston and NY. I've rooted for the Red Sox my entire life, and I've rooted against Boston's opposing teams my entire life, but there also have always been individual players on each team whom I've liked (including NY). I like dedicated ballplayers with heart, and I don't really care which city they serve.

                      The reason I say all this is because I may be an exception to the common rule, I don't know. But in response to "Have you ever noticed," it seems my impressions of the Yankees and our "great" rivalry have shifted over the last few years. I'm sure that some will claim sacrilege when I say this, but the rivalry is seeming like less and less of a big deal. Maybe the last few years have gotten something out of my system. I'm not sure. I still want Boston to beat NY, naturally, but I think a combination of age and an intensifying love for the game of baseball has created for me a sport in which I just don't see any team in absolutes. We do all have far more in common as fans than we have different, and I tend to think that Boston and NY, in particular, are both great cities with phenomenal fanbases. I'm not sure there's anything more to say than that.

                      SoxSon
                      Do you think your shift has anything to do with a change in the nature of the average fan in both sides? I find that the average fan on both sides has a certain blind ignorance and beligerrence to the rivalry and can't see baseball but in anything but the blurry Yankees/Red Sox lines, and even, their view is skewed by a blanket disdain for the other side.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by DoubleX
                        Do you think your shift has anything to do with a change in the nature of the average fan in both sides? I find that the average fan on both sides has a certain blind ignorance and beligerrence to the rivalry and can't see baseball but in anything but the blurry Yankees/Red Sox lines, and even, their view is skewed by a blanket disdain for the other side.
                        For me, the largest factor has to do with the place I have come to in my own life. But you make an interesting point, XX. I do have a tendency to grow even calmer when I'm interacting with lunatics, and there seem to be plenty of those around sports as a whole.

                        What's always interesting is to take note of responses to "peace and love" posts like the one I wrote. I've noticed that more often than not, no one says anything. I don't know if this has to do with the ferocity of team allegiances or the apathy of the status quo. Either way, I generally take it as a general movement against the truce I envision. That's sort of remarkable in of itself.
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Do you think your shift has anything to do with a change in the nature of the average fan in both sides? I find that the average fan on both sides has a certain blind ignorance and beligerrence to the rivalry and can't see baseball but in anything but the blurry Yankees/Red Sox lines, and even, their view is skewed by a blanket disdain for the other side.
                          There's been a shift in the nature of the population from which fans everywhere are drawn. Decency, manners and mutual respect are at all-time lows. Let's just look at what Howard Stern's being paid, and what he's being paid for -- lots of other examples, sure, the shock-jock's just an easy one. When there's almost no notion left of embarrassing oneself, how can we possibly expect people to concern themselves with embarrassing others? Asserting a team rivalry as sufficient reason for incivility and even anti-social conduct is just a pathetic attempt at justifying shamelessness and excusing hostility. Blind ignorance can be addressed through patience, reason and knowledge; degeneracy and dementia require something deeper. Paying money for a ticket doesn't buy someone the right to scream gross obscenities in a crowded bleacher, but there are plenty of people who mistakenly believe that it does.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by sandlot
                            There's been a shift in the nature of the population from which fans everywhere are drawn. Decency, manners and mutual respect are at all-time lows. Let's just look at what Howard Stern's being paid, and what he's being paid for -- lots of other examples, sure, the shock-jock's just an easy one. When there's almost no notion left of embarrassing oneself, how can we possibly expect people to concern themselves with embarrassing others? Asserting a team rivalry as sufficient reason for incivility and even anti-social conduct is just a pathetic attempt at justifying shamelessness and excusing hostility. Blind ignorance can be addressed through patience, reason and knowledge; degeneracy and dementia require something deeper. Paying money for a ticket doesn't buy someone the right to scream gross obscenities in a crowded bleacher, but there are plenty of people who mistakenly believe that it does.
                            ummm, i don't no what u just sed, but, can we getback to topic? Personally though, yeah there are some people who are front runners and everything, but whatever.
                            "It kills me to lose. If I'm a troublemaker, and I don't think that my temper makes me one, then it's because I can't stand losing. That's the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first."

                            -Jackie Robinson

                            55 and 56 chmps.... The two headed monster

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by 55 chmps
                              ummm, i don't no what u just sed, but, can we getback to topic? Personally though, yeah there are some people who are front runners and everything, but whatever.
                              Actually, I think sandlot's made an excellent observation about society's role in baseball's degeneration. Wasn't the idea of "team-bashing" the whole point of this thread?
                              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Thanks, SoxSon. My point exactly. The "shift" you write of strikes me as the natural result of simply getting older, maturing, and understanding what it really means to "get a life." I think a lot of the unpleasantry at games -- especially games played between intense rivals -- stems from the same kind of folks who make it equally unpleasant to go to a LL game or a Pop Warner contest. I now live in Asia and have for a long time, and while rudeness isn't unknown (especially in subways, and on buses) it's rarely personal. The use of public obscenities is generally frowned upon (though private language can be colorful indeed), and there is a certain level of politeness expected in civil discourse. But when I go back home and hear the tone of voice in which people speak to one another, even when they actually think they're being nice, I'm just appalled. That said, I've also heard some of the language used by rabid supporters of rival British football (soccer) teams, and it's way over the top. I hope we don't go down that road.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X