Have you ever noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoxSon
    Wasn't the idea of "team-bashing" the whole point of this thread?

Actually if you READ the initial post you would see that wasn't the point. This was for YANKEE fans and other fans who realize how the YANKEES always get rooted against not what ever your talking about. Next time actually read what the thread is about.
    "All I had was natural ability."
    -Mickey Mantle

55 chmps and I are always looking to extend our unbeaten trivia record!

Comment

Originally posted by 56 chmps
      Actually if you READ the initial post you would see that wasn't the point. This was for YANKEE fans and other fans who realize how the YANKEES always get rooted against not what ever your talking about. Next time actually read what the thread is about.
      Your unwarranted hostility aside, I've reread the original post in this thread and come to the same conclusion. This thread is about team-bashing. (I also read the entire thread before posting.)

Here it is, simply put: The fact that so many people root against the Yankees is "team-bashing." Those people don't care about the players on the team; they just want the Yankees to do poorly. That's what you've just said, right? Sandlot and I were both talking about how society plays a role in the tendency for some people to team-bash. It's all part of the same discussion.

I hope that cleared it up for you.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

People engage in bashing for a lot of reasons, some of them conscious, some not. In the case of the Yankees, there are the obvious factors of resentment, jealousy and, to a degree, social class identification. You can see the same thing at work with Manchester United (which, not entirely coincidentally, has business ties with NY), or Real Madrid, or -- during their incredible heyday -- the Boston Celtics. Twenty-six WS rings while other teams have one or none is bound to create some ill will, especially when the charge has always been that NY "buys" its championships. The rich vs. poor thing. Is there similar resentment in some quarters against Atlanta's perennial domination of its division? I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be surprised if there were not some hard feelings. But there's a distinction between, on the one hand, a normal level of intense, even passionate rivalry, and, on the other hand, conduct that is unbecoming, vulgar, vitriolic, obscene, aggressive, hostile and even threatening. The latter does not arise from the rivalry; it is something that the individual brings to it from his or her own life. I happen to believe that the conduct inside stadiums, especially YS and Fenway, just reflects what's happening outside the ballyard. For some folks, the Yankees just bring it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 56 chmps
          Actually, any post here is for anyone else. SoxSon has spent a good amount of time here, and I've even invited him into one or two threads here. Possibly this one also.

Yankee fans have posted into the Red Sox forum, so his entry here shouldn't be considered an issue. If so, please PM me.

Thanks.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            Actually, any post here is for anyone else. SoxSon has spent a good amount of time here, and I've even invited him into one or two threads here. Possibly this one also.

Yankee fans have posted into the Red Sox forum, so his entry here shouldn't be considered an issue. If so, please PM me.

Thanks.
            I toatally realized that, thats why i put and other fan's who realize this.
            "All I had was natural ability."
            -Mickey Mantle

55 chmps and I are always looking to extend our unbeaten trivia record!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X