X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by LouGehrig
    At his peak, for a few years and certainly for ONE game that must be won, Koufax destroys Clemens.
    Destroys Roger Clemens? I'm as big a Koufax fan as anyone, but even when comparing peaks, Clemens comes out ahead. Before I get to some actual statistics, three things to consider about the players:

1) Koufax played in the most pitcher friendly era since the deadball-era. The raised mounds gave pitchers an advantage during Koufax's career.

2) Dodger Stadium is a very pitcher friendly park. The same cannot be said of Fenway, Skydome, and whatever the park is now called in Houston.

3) For more than half of his career, Clemens pitched in an era dominated by offense, making his accomplishments that much more spectacular.

Now for some stats. I'll just stick with top 10 ERA+ seasons:

Sandy Koufax: 190, 187, 161, 160, 143, 124, 107, 104, 102, 92

Roger Clemens: 226, 221, 211, 177, 176, 175, 169, 164, 154, 145

For as good as Koufax was, Clemens has a sizeable lead in peak years. Factor in that Clemens Peak is more than 3x longer than Koufax's, and it's really no contest at all.

As for career ERA+, Koufax is 131, while Clemens is 143, despite nearly 2500 innings more than Koufax (Koufax didn't even pitch 2500 innings in his career). For a guy to be that good for that long is incredible, and Koufax really isn't any competition, even when comparing peak performance.

Koufax five year run was incredible, but Clemens has been doing it for 20. There is a reason Clemens has won 7 Cy Youngs.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LouGehrig
    replied
    At his peak, for a few years and certainly for ONE game that must be won, Koufax destroys Clemens.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by LouGehrig
    Comparing Wang to Clemens is like comparing Chacon to Ryan.
    Agreed. Comparing Wang to Clemens is a bit of a stretch. I think there might be only one pitcher ever that could be reasonably compared to Clemens, and he last pitched in 1927 (Walter Johnson).

Leave a comment:

• LouGehrig
    replied
    Comparing Wang to Clemens is like comparing Chacon to Ryan.

Leave a comment:

• Tinyballer
    replied
    If Wang Chien Ming regains the stuff he has had in the past he not only will be a reliable pitcher but one who could end up like Roger Clemens. Similar fastball heater when he was young if wang regains his forum Wang Sinker Clemens Splitter hey who knowes maybe Wang can become an ace if he does regain the nasty stuff he once possessed.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee Legend
    replied
    I agree and disagree with you.

Yes I do agree that johnson is getting older but he does look like a pitcher to me than can excel in his early 40's. look if he preformes the way he did last august and september he'll be fine. mussina's main problem is consistency. in some days he pitched, he got 6 or 7 solid innings. in others he got killed in the first 2. i think this a problem with all the yankees starters...consistency. i disagree, they do have talent. but they need to preform consistently evey time its their turn in the rotation. this is the major promblem the rotation had in 2005. pavano i dont trust. i think we should trade him for a better pitcher. wang is a good young pitcher who, with a little experience, can be a reliable starter. chacon is very good. he is a pitcher who can excel in the AL. he is the only starter here thats preformed consistently every game he pitched. i dont think wright is bad, just that he shouldn't be a starter. he has a hard-throwing arm that will fit in well in our bullpen. he looks like the guy we can use for the 6th/7th inning. i mean he certainly is better than tanyon sturtze. But again, yakees starters do have the talent. They just need to use this talent every time they start.

Also, shouldn't this be in the yankees forum????

Leave a comment:

• LouGehrig
    started a topic Yankees and Starting Pitching

Yankees and Starting Pitching

http://baseballpiggies.blogspot.com/

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X