The Season: 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
    If you recall last year, Torre had Andy Phillips, who had just come off the DL, on the postseason, and used him as a defensive replacement for Sheffield. Giambi was also on the roster, just as he likely will be this year. Duncan is not a good 1Bman, and certainly not a defensive replacement. I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but Torre will most likely want a defensive 1Bman on the postseason roster, so if Phillips isn't back in time, I believe we'll see Mientkiewicz on the team.
    If that's the case, and give that we at least make the WC (the division doesn't seem likely), you'll probably see Betemit and Giambi starting at 1B. The loss of Phillips is bad, but if it's a blowout, you'll see Betemit at SS or 3B.

If Betemit starts, then Giambi can be used as a pinch hitter, especially if he has good success against a pitcher. Of course, that's preferably a starter, unless Torre wants to force a manager to take out a pitcher who's otherwise been successful against us. Kinda like forcing the other guy's hand, making him empty the pen once more than he'd wanted to. Unlike hoops, once he's out, he can't be brought back in, so to Torre's advantage, if he so chooses.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• It's crunch time heading into this 9-game road trip (in 10 days). If this team is going to secure that WC spot (or even possibly win the division) the time is now. No excuses. No second chances. Play like there's no tomorrow. Nothing less will do.
      ............................I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee.

Comment

• Well said

Comment

• No Excuses Yankees! Let's get 'er DONE!
          http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q_Zerpnj63I/Sa...flbot-qUQb.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankees2k6 View Post
            No Excuses Yankees! Let's get 'er DONE!
            get er done? what are we the Georgia Yankees?

Comment

• Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
              I just somehow doubt this. There just doesn't seem, to me, to be room on the roster for a guy who can _only_ be a defensive replacement at first base. I think Shelly Duncan is much more likely for that slot, as he gives some pinch hitting and outfield versatility, although Torre seems reluctant to use him.
              The off season has a lot of interesting decisions for the team to make. They could go a lot of different directions. If Damon's traded then both Shelley and Phillips probably have roster spot but if Damon stays and is either the 4th OF or the first baseman one of them has to go and I think that would be Shelley. Especially if Damon and/or Betemit are learning 1B next year they might want Phillips for defense
              2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Anyone else like to see less of Giambi and more of Duncan? They said Giambi is like 13 for his last 62, that's pretty dismal.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
                  Anyone else like to see less of Giambi and more of Duncan? They said Giambi is like 13 for his last 62, that's pretty dismal.
                  Shelley Duncan can already hit better than Giambi in his peak years. Shelley Duncan's amazing and probably the best guy on the team except A-Rod and Posada. Definitely play Shelley more often
                  2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Mariano_Rivera View Post
                    Shelley Duncan can already hit better than Giambi in his peak years. Shelley Duncan's amazing and probably the best guy on the team except A-Rod and Posada. Definitely play Shelley more often
                    You know when you first see Shelley Duncan, you think oh he is one of those shane spencer type players, going to hit some home runs but he is going to strike out a whole lot and chase bad pitches. But he is not he actually has a pretty good eye for a rookie. I think he gets a bit impacent when he dosen't play that much, I think playing more would help him allot!
                    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

• Originally posted by Mariano_Rivera View Post
                      Duncan can hit better than Giambi in his peak years? I don't know if you remember, but for a few years, Giambi was an absolute beast at the plate (of course some of that may have been due to whatever he was putting into his body). For a five year period, from 1999-2003, Giambi's average OPS+ was 173 with a peak of 202 in 2001. I highly doubt Duncan could match that for an entire season, let alone five. Giambi was quite possibly the best hitter in the AL for a few years.

I think Duncan has nice power potential, but I think the more he plays, the more holes we'll start to see in his swing. This is not the first time in recent history that we've seen a Yankee farmhan storm on the scene with a power surge - see Shane Spencer and Kevin Maas. I think Duncan could hit 25-30 homeruns if given 500 ABs, but I'd also be surprised if he hit above .260.

Comment

• Kennedy was fortunate to get out with only 2 runs. 7 hits and 3 BBs over 5 innings usually translates into more runs.
                        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor Zizmor View Post
                          get er done? what are we the Georgia Yankees?
                          So what's wrong with a little team spirit?

Anyway, a feel-good story with Joba's wheelchair-bound Dad here to see him play for the first time as a Yankee. Can't top that one by much!
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                            Kennedy was fortunate to get out with only 2 runs. 7 hits and 3 BBs over 5 innings usually translates into more runs.
                            That's true, though to his credit, he was able to work out of the jams, which is something that guys like Igawa, DeSalvo, and Clippard, were routinely unable to do.

Also, the first walk of the game was on a terrible call as the last pitch was quite clearly down the heart of the plate. Gathright may have walked anyway on a later pitch, but the count should have gone to 3-2.

Comment

• I know i'm no Mod, but you are all Yankee fans here. I don't see the need for the shots at each other and the rolling eyes emotiocons. Why can't you all try and get along and just gang up against people like me?
                              Originally posted by Domenic
                              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• I'm definitely in the camp that believes a pitcher's value has a lot to do with how many innings he pitches, and thus when you have someone like Jonathan Papelbon that might make a good starter, his value is being surpressed by being a closer (ableit a terrific closer). But I have to admit, watching Joba Chamberlain is making me rethink my stance just a little. Tonight's game is a perfect example - he came in to pitch in the 7th in a 1-run game, pitches two shutout innings and preserves the lead for Rivera to get the save. When Chamberlain comes in, you just feel like he'll get the job done. Earlier this season, that feeling wasn't there in the bullpen and the Yankees pen may have blown a close game like tonight's. So in that respect, I do see the value in what a shutdown reliever can give to the team.

That being said, over the course of an entire season, I still believe Chamberlain would have more value as a good starter for 200 innings, than as a great reliever for 75. More innings from Chamberlain mean less innings from less reliable pitchers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X