The Offseason: 2007/2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Offseason: 2007/2008

Well might as well get this thread started, sad as it is. Yankees have a lot of things to address this offseason, so let's start the discussion about some of these things:

1) Will Joe Torre be back (looks unlikely), and if not, who replaces him?
    - I've been harsh on Joe at times, but I'm sad to see him go and would like to see him back. I think Skip Caray was right last night in that if Torre goes, that might be a factor in some players leaving.
    - If Torre is not coming back, which is the most likely outcome, I think the team should pick Joe Girardi. Mattingly just doesn't seem right to me. Given the Yankees influx of young players, it would probably be good to get someone in like Girardi who could get the most out of the young guys, while also commanding the respect of the veterans (some of whom were his teammate).

2) Will A-Rod come back?
    - I hope so, but I'm more doubtul today than I have been in months. He talked last night as if his mission in New York failed. I haven't seen the Post yet, but the Daily News was not so harsh on A-Rod. I think people are finally understanding that there has been a lot more wrong with this team than just A-Rod in the postseason. I actually think it's because Jeter played poorly (in the field as well). It's easy to criticize A-Rod when Jeter plays well, but Jeter's play was bad in this series, and I think the writers might realize that if they're going to be harsh on A-Rod, they have to be harsh on Jeter as well. Anyway, A-Rod showed encouraging signs in the past two games, so if he's back, perhaps he'll be better in the next postseason (if there is one) - a player of his ability has to come around at some point, and I think we were seeing that in the past two games (though for the life of me, I can't understand why he couldn't get a hit off Byrd last night).

3) Will Jorge Posada come back?
    - I think he will. Posada is in an interesting position in that he just had his career year, but he's a 36 year old catcher. There will certainly be a market for Posada out there and I think a team will give Posada a three year deal if the Yankees are unwilling. A three year deal is risky, and I think a two year deal with an option is best, but the team might have to suck it up. Posada is an invaluable piece of the team both on the field and in the clubhouse. A decline is expected, but he still has a lot of room to decline before he's even just an average catcher. Though, Torre leaving and the team's continued futility might make Posada more open to a change of scenery.

4) Will Mariano Rivera come back?
    - I think so and think he's more likely than Posada to come back. I think it will be easier to get Rivera to take a two year deal, and I also think Rivera would be less open to considering a new place. He looked pretty close to his old self in the postseason but was shaky at times during the season. He's getting up there, and while it's not unheard of at all for closers to be effective into their 30s and early 40s, the Yankees need to start thinking of other options, and they might have the answer from within in Cox, Ohlendorf, Whelan, or Veras, among others.

5) Will Bobby Abreu's option be picked up?
    - His 16 million team option is a bit hefty. But I like how Abreu came to life after a dismal start and I like that he's a complete player. I'd rather pick up that option for just a year then sign someone like Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, or Mike Cameron for three or four or more years, and be stuck with them as they age (as is the team's problem with Giambi).

6) Will Roger Clemens come back?
    - Tough to say. If he does, it probably won't be until June. I'm sure he'd like to go on a better note, but at his age, and the fact that oveall in his six seasons with the Yankees, he's just been an above average pitcher, I don't think it's worth it for him or the team. If he wants to come back and look good, he should go to the Astros. However, if he's willing to put in a full season, and that's a big if, I might consider bringing him back, albeit at a much reduced price, still not sure I want to do that given that the Yankees should already have enough starters.

7) Will Andy Pettitte pick up his option?
    - Don't see why he won't, unless he wants to call it quits, and/or is upset about Torre being gone. Pettitte said last year it will depend on his elbow. Well he stayed healthy all year, being the only Yankees starter with 200+ innings, and it was like he never left. I'd actually be more surprised if next year is Pettitte's last year with the team than if he declined his option.

8) Does Joba Chamberlain go back to starting?
    - It is very tempting to keep Joba in the pen, but he'll have more value as a starter. The team does have a number of live arms that could prove effective in the pen next year (the aforementioned Cox, Ohlendorf, Whelan, Veras, and perhaps even Humberto Sanchez). I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the pen though, as the rotation might already have a few too many starters.

9) Who gets to be in the rotation?
    - Assuming Pettitte picks up his option and Chamberlain goes back to starting, the Yankees already have Wang, Pettitte, Mussina, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy and Igawa as potential starters next year, not to mention Rasner, Karstens, DeSalvo, Clippard, Wright, White, Jackson, Marquez, and Horne I think the team will and should turn Igawa into a reliever and should trade a few of those other guys to give them a shot someplace else. I think the team should explore trading Mussina but trading him probably won't happen. Does the team go out and trade for or sign a veteran? Based on last year, it looks like Cashman is done in gambling on questionable veterans (he wouldn't even take Ted Lilly at a discount) and instead putting faith on the guys from within. If the team is worried about having a bonafide ace, I think this time next year, it could very well have one in Phil Hughes (who hasn't been impressed with him in the past 6 weeks?), and a number of 2 and 3 pitchers in Wang, Pettitte, Kennedy, and Chamberlain (who might be a 1 as well). But that brings me to my next question...

10) Should the team trade for Johan Santana?
    - If the past three postseasons have taught us anything it is that the Yankees need help with pitching and need a real ace. I think Hughes could be that guy, and with Chamberlain, Kennedy, Horne, and Wang, the Yankees project to have a very good young staff in the future, but Santana, as a 2008 free agent to be and little chance of the Twins affording him, will almost certainly be shopped this winter and I'm sure the Yankees will be interested. The tough part for the Yankees will be making this deal happen without trading an arm and a leg. Perhaps the Yankees could get a good deal with the new Twins GM (because Ryan would almost certainly have fleeced the Yankees). I cannot envision the Yankees trading Hughes, Chamberlain, Cano, or even Melky. However, I could actually see Wang being in such a deal after this postseason, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kennedy and/or Horne were to be included in such a deal. I think the chances that the Yankees make this deal would be increased if A-Rod does not come back because that would free up a lot of money to trade for Santana then give him a huge deal.

11) Finally, will Brian Cashman be back?
    - There will be rumblings, but Cashman has done a great job of rebuilding on the fly, IMO (though it's easier when you have so much money and resources). He's laid the groundwork for an infusion of youth into the Yankees that I think will be the foundation for the team for the next decade. But Yankees fans and brass are impatient. I think he'll be back though, and with the right manager (Joe Girardi) could really get the most of the young guys.

This is so depressing to see. Anyway, I hope A-Rod comes back for sure. I love Joe Torre and appreciate everything he has done for this organization but I think it is time to move on. To me, the best choice here is Joe Girardi. The marlins were one of the worst teams in the league this year without him and with him, they were close to making the playoffs and they were actually more talented this year. I am just unsure of how the vets will react to having a manager that is so young and that some of the players actually played with. I want Rivera and Posada to come back but I think it is essential for Rivera to come back for us for another year or two just so we can straighten out our bullpen situation in that time. If he leaves, I think we might have to put Joba as our closer. I would hate to do that because I think he should become a great starting pitcher but we will see what happens with that. As good as Santana is, I do not want to trade for the guy. It will take too much to get him and I do not want to part with any of our young guys especially a Cano, Hughes or Joba type of player. Our rotation next year looks very good to be honest. While it is very young, it is one of the most talented we have seen in a while. The big problem over the past couple of years is that we cannot ever come up with a hit when we need it. We just rely on homers and I think we really need to start to play more small ball and not always go for the big inning. We need to get younger. I am anxious to see what transpires with this team in the coming weeks but next year we should be good. I think we finally realize that pitching is what matters and our rotation should be very good for years to come. Like I said, I would like to see Rivera, Posada, Pettite and all of those vets some back but there is a small part of me saying that we might be better going in a new younger direction and rebuilding the team a little bit. We will see what happens...

Comment

It's sad to see a thread like this so early, but i guess we had it comming. Anyways i really hope we go after Johan Santana. We need a legitimate ace. Wang is not one. He should be a 3rd or 4rth starter at best. I am sure you put Wang on a team that doesn't provide him the runs support the Yanks do, he will have a very different record than he actually had. Another move i want Cash/or other to make is take Schilling for a year. It would be addition by substraction, plus Schill is a big game type of guy.

Pettitte should be brought back at any cost. The guy is a true Yankee and this season showed us why we would rather have him in the postseason.

Joba should be kept in the pen and inherit Riveras' closing job. I am not so sure he will be that elextric if he has to pitch 5+ innings. To add to that the Joba rules were made so he wouldn't stress his young arm. he reminds me of Bobby Jenks. Joba is going to be a great closer one day.

Daniel Cabrera. Yes A-Rod has to go. He is stellar but since he got here we chocked after leading 3-0 in the ALCS and than we failed to make it past the ALDS 3 years on the row. That is Bravelike. Now i am not blaming him completely but he needs to change air. Cabrera is young, he has won a WS already and is a fearsome hitter.

1st base. Now we seriously need a decent 1st baseman. One that can hit and be close to being a gold glove. Giambis contract runs out next season thank God and Doug M. bat should not be in that line up.

Joe Torre, even though i love to have him back yesterday spoke as he had managed his last Yankee game. I think he knows he is done. Possibles are Mattingly, Girardi and La Rusa. I know Donnie is the most likely to succed Joe Torre but out off the 3 names mentioned in the Post, Girardi is the most natural choisse. I am hoping him turning the O's down means that he want the Yankees.

The Pen should look much different that it does now. Veras and Vizcaino should be given a second chance. Fahrnsworth NO. Mussina should be tried in long relieff. He shall not start a single game.

DH, well we got Giambi and Damon (Who i think should start over Melky) but signing Andrew Jones would be a nice idea as well. Think about it. We would have an aboundant core of outfielders, Melky, Hideki, Abreu(If his option is being picket up), Damon and Jones. There you have your 3 outfilders and DH. One of them should be benched. Or i would shop Melky most likely in a possible Santana deal.

Well here's my team for 2008.

Starters:

Santana
      Pettitte
      Hughes
      Shilling/Kennedy
      Wang

Bullpen:

Vizcaino
      Veras
      Hanches
      Joba
      Rivera

Infield:

1B - Anyone other than the ones we have
      2B - Cano
      SS - jeter
      3B - Daniel Cabrera

Outfield:

LF - Matsui/Damon
      CF - Damon/Jones/Melky
      LF - Abreu/Melky/That japanese guy we hear about

DH:

Giambi/Jones/Damon

Manager:

joe Girardi

GM:

Cashman
      New York Yankees

2009 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ShortStop View Post

Well here's my team for 2008.

Starters:

Santana
        Pettitte
        Hughes
        Shilling/Kennedy
        Wang

Bullpen:

Vizcaino
        Veras
        Hanches
        Joba
        Rivera

Infield:

1B - Anyone other than the ones we have
        2B - Cano
        SS - jeter
        3B - Daniel Cabrera

Outfield:

LF - Matsui/Damon
        CF - Damon/Jones/Melky
        LF - Abreu/Melky/That japanese guy we hear about

DH:

Giambi/Jones/Damon

Manager:

joe Girardi

GM:

Cashman
        Are you playing MLB2k7??
        Why in the world would you want Curt Shilling?

You want Daniel Cabrera the Orioles pitcher to play 3B or this team? And Jones? Surely, you don't mean Andruw Jones...do you??
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Manager- Id go with Joe Girardi or try to pry Bobby V from the far east. LaRussa would be third on my list...Bobby B being number one, Girardi number 2

3B- If A-rod walks Id sign Mike Lowell, thats it.

Closer/bullpen- Id let Rivera walk and use Joba as a stop gap in 08 and go after Nathan or K-Rod after the 08 season. I think that the yankees will have at least 2 of the following will be very good in our bullpen next season and could be used as set up men...Sanchez, Horne, Cox, Melancamp and Stephendorf so an 8th inning guy shouldnt be a problem..we could always sign a FA reliever like Linebrink.

Catcher- They have to resign Posada, if by some chance he leaves(which would be dumb) Id take a look at Michael Barrett and resign JoMo

Now Id try and make a deal for Santana (with an extension of course). Id offer them Wang, Melky and another B level pitching prospect like Chase Wright, Tyler Clippard, Matt DeSalvo, Steven White ect. Then Id sign Aaron Rowand for CF.

Id also pick up Bobby Abreu's option....we arent going to get anyone better than him for RF....unless one thinks that Asukame Fukudome is a better option, but he'll 32 years old so Id be wary of this guy...even though I love him name

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            Are you playing MLB2k7??
            Why in the world would you want Curt Shilling?

You want Daniel Cabrera the Orioles pitcher to play 3B or this team? And Jones? Surely, you don't mean Andruw Jones...do you??
            Yes sir. :choke: You got the point didn't you?
            New York Yankees

Comment

Yes sir. :choke: You got the point didn't you?
              Yeah...that you want a $300M team and you want a pitcher to play 3B for your team. Soo, no. I don't really get it.
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Miguel Cabrera, i meant. and explain me how that comes up to 300 mil man?
                Other than Santana the other 3 (Cabrera, Schill & Jones) will probably make the 30 mil A-Rod will require.
                Last edited by ShortStop; 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM.
                New York Yankees

Comment

Nobody has any idea why you want Daniel Cabrera, the orioles SP, to play third base. Or why we would ever want Schilling on this team. I think we should get back on track and talk about the offseason and what you guys want the yanks to do

Comment

I think he means Miguel Cabrera.
                    Originally posted by Domenic
                    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Fixed it. No hatting on the latinos but there are so many damn Cabreras.
                      New York Yankees

Comment

No hatting on the latinos but there are so many damn Cabreras.
                        What's wrong with Latino hats?

"I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

*sigh*

Already two posters that want to keep Joba in the bullpen. . .
                          After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

Comment

Originally posted by monkey333 View Post
                            *sigh*

Already two posters that want to keep Joba in the bullpen. . .
                            Dont want to keep him there, just for one season....if even that long depending on how Sanchez, Mark Cougar Melancamp and James B do.

Comment

So now we're going to trade for Santana and Miguel Cabrera in the same postseason? Sorry, I just don't see it happening.

What I do see happening is Torre being fired, we sign Girardi as the coach, return Mattingly to hitting coach and I've heard the name of one of the minor league coaches as a possible replacement bench coach. I just don't like Mattingly as a bench coach, mostly because I think he's a great hitting coach. I guess you could keep Kevin Long around for an assistant or something (I'm not a huge fan of him).
                              This team has so many question marks going into the offseason. If Mo leaves, then I think we're almost forced to keep Joba in the pen. But if Mo comes back for a year or two, Joba should be put into the rotation ASAP. Obviously, he's not going to be as electric. But I'd rather get 6-7 good innings then 1-2 great innings. Besides, there's many young arms that should be ready for the 08 season.
                              If Jorge leaves, there's not too many options looking at the upcoming FA's, and there will be no catcher who can replace his offensive value. I honestly don't like him catching, although he's drastically improved throwing out runners.
                              Abreu has the option, which I've heard will probably be picked up. But I just heard that on ESPN I think, so I'm not buying it until I see it. It seems so many people forgot his first half of the year, which worries me a little bit. I'd like to see him back, but there's a few other options who would come at the same cost. We'd have to offer them 3-4 more years atleast, which I'm sort of reluctant to do.
                              Arod- You know the story. No need to explain this.
                              Hopefully Pettitte picks up his option, I don't really see why he wouldn't.
                              Vizcaino is also a FA, and I hope we give him a 2-3 year deal. He was a huge piece of our bullpen this year, and (if we have) our new manager hopefully won't destroy his arm by the end of May.
                              First Base- I think we stick with what we have. We're stuck with Giambi for another year, unless we somehow trade him. I don't really see what value he has to any team though.... Mientk could be our #9 hitter, which isn't that bad. I liked what I saw from this last series with one of his bunts. If he could do that throughout the season, he deserves to play. His glove makes him worth it imo.
                              I think Damon will be shopped, but too difficult to trade. If we do trade him, I think we get ripped off.
                              I'd also like to see the Yanks take a chance on Kerry Wood. I know many of you will probably disagree with me on this too, but I think we should sign Linebrink. A 3.5 ERA isn't unrealistic for him to put up, and he would stabilize our shaky bullpen.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X