X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girardi is gone

Thoughts?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...w-york-yankees
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

I'm a bit surprised it happened this fast, but I guess the rift between him and Cashman was deeper than we realized. Joe could aggravate at times but I think he did a fine job overall in 10 years in first, getting the last championship for the Core Four that kept eluding Torre, and then having to preside over an era of transition that while frustrating at least never saw us bottom out to a bad sub-500 or 90 loss season like so many other teams seem to go through. I guess Cashman feels he's not the one who can lead this new generation to the promised land which in the end makes his Yankee managing career remarkably similar to that of Ralph Houk only ultimately more successful IMO.

Comment

This made Michael Kay's constant comments on his radio show "if you think the manager makes those moves, they are organizational" with respect to Yankee callers griping about Girardi in certain context and in game decisions seem very much like foreshadowing. Not everyone out on the "front lines" wants to be a figurehead controlled by "beancounters" and not all string pullers like someone else getting the credit when things go well. I wonder what direction they go from here.

Comment

Still scratching my head on this one. Girardi never had a losing season, below .500 and thought he did a good job. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, I don't know. With a young team this year, supoosed to be a rebuilding year, and making it to game 7 of the ALCS is quite remarkable.
        Axes grind and maces clash!

Comment

I mean I get it.

The Yankees have gotten much younger, and the need for the rigidness of Girardi's style doesn't mesh well with younger players.

Cashman also wants a manager who's less Old School, and more Sabermetrics. So I get the move. He wants a younger manager, more in tune with today's game.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            I mean I get it.

The Yankees have gotten much younger, and the need for the rigidness of Girardi's style doesn't mesh well with younger players.

Cashman also wants a manager who's less Old School, and more Sabermetrics. So I get the move. He wants a younger manager, more in tune with today's game.
            Younger? He's only 53. I always felt he over-managed though, and was a slave to the pitch count.
            Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
              Girardi represented everything wrong with baseball this decade. He doesnt play against the shift (at all), never lets guys run, never bunts, never hits and runs, never has guys try to hit behind the runner, never EVER lets a starter having a gem finish a game.......just relies solely only on home runs and requisite outrageous K numbers.

That's not managing.

He ruined players like Mark Texieria. Look at Texieria vs the shift. Pathetic. OPS+ of 35 from 2010 on vs the shift!! .230 with a .294 slugging over 1115 PA vs the shift. It ruined his career. Again Girardi, despite obvious continued faliures, continued to tell Tex to try to pull the ball for homers every time.

Girardi didn't understand baseball 3 dimensionally and didn't utilize his weapons (such as speed, for one).

Probably why, in nine years under his helm, the perennially number one or number two payroll team in baseball only won one pennant.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

Younger? He's only 53. I always felt he over-managed though, and was a slave to the pitch count.
                I didn't mean just age wise. I meant someone who's going to embrace sabermetrics and not that old school style, or rigidness of Girardi.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

It is “likely” that either Aaron Boone or Hensley Meulens will receive the nod to become the next Yankees skipper, according to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News. Thomson has been informed that he will not get the job, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets. Likewise, Beltran has been told he’s no longer under consideration, Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports tweets.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...nterviews.html
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X