The Twin Towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Twin Towers

Cannot believe there is not a single post on this yet on a Yankees board.

Incredible move by Cashman. And Jeter's best move ever for the Yanks.

Now we need to move Ellsbury at all costs.

Mantle and Maris' 115 home runs in a season is going down!
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

I’m a bit concerned about the length of the contract. I would have thought the Yanks would know better after finally shedding the A-Rod and Sabathia contracts, but I guess not. Frankly, he’s exactly what the Yanks don’t need - another RH power hitting right fielder. However, if you’re not concerned about the contract, injury history, or playing time, he’ll definitely be fun to watch for the next few years.

I’m also not a big fan of the Headley trade. I’m guessing it means the Yanks will try to re- sign Frazier - and I, for one, don’t understand the Yanks’ love affair with him. Headley is a switch hitter and has a much better BA. Frazier, another right handed batter, has more power, but given the Stanton acquisition, are the extra 15 HRs worth the 70 point average difference, the loss of a switch hitter, and the ability to play first and third?

Comment

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
        I’m a bit concerned about the length of the contract. I would have thought the Yanks would know better after finally shedding the A-Rod and Sabathia contracts, but I guess not. Frankly, he’s exactly what the Yanks don’t need - another RH power hitting right fielder. However, if you’re not concerned about the contract, injury history, or playing time, he’ll definitely be fun to watch for the next few years.

I’m also not a big fan of the Headley trade. I’m guessing it means the Yanks will try to re- sign Frazier - and I, for one, don’t understand the Yanks’ love affair with him. Headley is a switch hitter and has a much better BA. Frazier, another right handed batter, has more power, but given the Stanton acquisition, are the extra 15 HRs worth the 70 point average difference, the loss of a switch hitter, and the ability to play first and third?
        Long contracts don't seem to pan out very well as a whole. A-Rod, Pujols, Sabathia; I don't know about how the Cano deal will work. Personally I liked Castro, especially how he and Didi had a good relationship in the infield. I guess Gleyber Torres is very near major-league ready. Headley seemed to do much better after being moved to 1B, but the Yanks are putting their hopes on Bird. With Stanton patrolling the OF, is Clint Frazier trade bait or will he serve as a DH and be platooned?

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
          Now we need to move Ellsbury at all costs.
          Oh yes, oh how I wish.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus1776 View Post

Oh yes, oh how I wish.
            Although if he really will not waive the NTC or no one wants him, they at least need to move Gardner. I would rather move Ellsbury but maybe you get something for Gardner. Besides salary relief.

Comment

Stanton probably opts out in 3 years. And it is a lot less than you would have to pay to get Harper. Maybe $150 million less.

As for Headley, he was fine. I doubt he will be better than Andujar in 2018.

Comment

In two years Stanton actually has the option to opt out after every season. Smh
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I hope he does opt out. I can't see the Yanks keeping both Stanton and Judge when Judge eventually becomes a free agent - they are too similar and play the same position. You can't move either of them to left field because it is too big in Yankee Stadium, and they already have Bird at 1st, so that option is off the table.
                  Essentially, the Yanks just paid a ton of money for a DH - since either Stanton or Judge will have to be there since they both can't play right field.
                  While some may consider him a "steal", the Yanks had other needs and the money probably could have been spent better. Who plays 2nd? Do the Yanks find someone just as good as Castro to fill the hole? Probably not. Just because he was a relative bargain and the Yanks could afford him, it doesn't mean they needed to get him.

Comment

I hope he does opt out. I can't see the Yanks keeping both Stanton and Judge when Judge eventually becomes a free agent - they are too similar and play the same position. You can't move either of them to left field because it is too big in Yankee Stadium, and they already have Bird at 1st, so that option is off the table.
                    Essentially, the Yanks just paid a ton of money for a DH - since either Stanton or Judge will have to be there since they both can't play right field.
                    While some may consider him a "steal", the Yanks had other needs and the money probably could have been spent better. Who plays 2nd? Do the Yanks find someone just as good as Castro to fill the hole? Probably not. Just because he was a relative bargain and the Yanks could afford him, it doesn't mean they needed to get him.
                    I also hope he opts out. But either way it is not bad. Too good of a deal not to do.

Judge or Stanton could play left. Neither are immobile. Judge actually played CF in college IIRC. But DH will be good for both as there is a lot of wear and tear at that size.

At 1st, Bird is far from from a sure thing. I like him and hope he does well, but he reminds me way too much of another old favorite, Nick "the Stick" Johnson. Health is a skill. Nick did not have it, let's hope Bird starts to develop it.

Castro is an average 2b, streaky hitter, below average defender. His last 3 years he posted a 79, 94, and 110 wRC+. Not a great loss. Not when you have Torres coming and Wade and Torreyes already there. Plus there is Estrada and Solak almost ready as well. Headley is similar, average player. Andujar may be better already if they feel his defense is ready. Remember two of the last 3 years, Headley was bad defensively.

The only thing they could really use is 1 or 2 starting pitchers. And really part of that is depth. They have a very good front four. I believe Severino, Tanaka and Gray each finished 3rd in the Cy Young voting over the last 3 years. Montgomery had a very good rookie season. Adams looks ready. But if they could add a Gerritt Cole, for instance, and maybe bring back CC? You could stash Monty in AAA until the inevitable injury arises.

Comment

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

I also hope he opts out. But either way it is not bad. Too good of a deal not to do.

Judge or Stanton could play left. Neither are immobile. Judge actually played CF in college IIRC. But DH will be good for both as there is a lot of wear and tear at that size.

At 1st, Bird is far from from a sure thing. I like him and hope he does well, but he reminds me way too much of another old favorite, Nick "the Stick" Johnson. Health is a skill. Nick did not have it, let's hope Bird starts to develop it.

Castro is an average 2b, streaky hitter, below average defender. His last 3 years he posted a 79, 94, and 110 wRC+. Not a great loss. Not when you have Torres coming and Wade and Torreyes already there. Plus there is Estrada and Solak almost ready as well. Headley is similar, average player. Andujar may be better already if they feel his defense is ready. Remember two of the last 3 years, Headley was bad defensively.

The only thing they could really use is 1 or 2 starting pitchers. And really part of that is depth. They have a very good front four. I believe Severino, Tanaka and Gray each finished 3rd in the Cy Young voting over the last 3 years. Montgomery had a very good rookie season. Adams looks ready. But if they could add a Gerritt Cole, for instance, and maybe bring back CC? You could stash Monty in AAA until the inevitable injury arises.
                      Gardner is quite valuable in left. He does have weaknesses, however he hustles on each play, plays great defense and can hit a bit too. He also provides veteran presence on a team whose city has high expecations.

I'm not completely sold on Bird either. He has the potential to be a very good player at the MLB level. As for Nick Swisher, I miss him. His attitude was contagious and he just had a love for the game.

Chance Adams looks like a solid #3 pitcher who could be a #2. He needs to work on control, otherwise he will not be successful at the Show. Montgomery had a solid 1st season, one of the best rookie pitchers this year. Hopefully this parlays into a more developed 2018. I don't think Cole is a good fit. He is basically an average pitcher in a ballpark that is pitcher friendly. I think he will be lit-up in Yankee stadium. Worse over, the Pirates are looking for top tier prospects for Cole...forget it.

Comment

Aaron judge credited a former member of this forum for his breakout
                        @TheJudge44 an: https://twitter.com/TheJudge44/statu...418481664?s=09

I also chatted with him a few times. He is very decidated to hitting but also has a very controversial personality and got banned from this forum for repeatedly insulting other people
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X